Rain cover for EOS 5D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain cover for EOS 5D

Has anyone had experience of using a rain cover for an EOS? I spent a long time by the Thames on Sunday waiting to get some images of the river pageant, only to be rained on just as it reached us (near to Tower Bridge). I did have a food bag with a hole cut in it! but it wasn't very successful.

I would have stayed longer if I thought that I could protect the gear (5D mark II with 70-300 lens, but usually 24-105 f4 L). I know that the EOS magazine shop has a few in the catalogue. I'm just interested in other ideas and suggestions, ready for this wet Summer.

Re: Rain cover for EOS 5D

Firstly body armour ... my mountain kit is a 40D protected by Body Armor (sic) and a weatherproof L lens (plus a Protect filter to complete the weatherproofing). It's been out in heavy rain and wind and survived (thus far).

Second ... Páramo Dark Cloth (I swear by Páramo outerwear having quite a collection ... it really does work).

And don't forget several microfibre rags ... one for you one for the kit and a spare.

Oh forgot ... waterproof bags ... these are the best IMHO Exped Dry Bags ... again I've quite a collection. The larger ones can take a DSLR plus modest lens.
    Last edited by MX5; 07-06-2012, 14:33. Reason: Getting forgetful

Comment

Thanks for reply. I was looking especially for (inexpensive) protection for the camera while I'm using it. I have a Lowepro waterproof bag for transporting. The dark cloth looks fine, but expensive for use now and again!

Comment

Originally posted by derekc View Post
        I was looking especially for (inexpensive) protection for the camera while I'm using it.
        Ah inexpensive ... try Lightweight camera rain cover .

Originally posted by derekc View Post
        The dark cloth looks fine, but expensive for use now and again!
        Nah ... it's quality fabric ... you should see what the outerwear costs.

Comment

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply again!!

Comment

These are very effective for occasional use, although they do build up a bit of an internal sweat if you have one on all day in constant use. Cheap and cheerful they do the job well.

I was lucky on Sunday since the bulk of the boats had passed by the time the rain started to get heavier, not that I could see too much from by the President!
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Thanks for reply!! I was near the end of the 'route' by Tower Bridge so in effect the rain came earlier!!

Comment

The link that Wooley gave is what i carry in my bag, always getting caught out in the rain and these are a quick way to give a little protection and are very cheap x2 in a pack and take up no room in your camera bag.come in two types" with or without" flash attached.

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

These are very effective for occasional use,
                  I bought a pair of these 3 years ago at Focus and the original one ids still going strong. Excellent value for money

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Try looking in this FORUM under EOS Photography : DIY Photography, there is an entry on just this topic.

Comment

Working...
                    X