Sprint Triathlons - anyone covered one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprint Triathlons - anyone covered one?

Just bagged myself the job as official tog at my local Sprint Triathlon on Sunday....a first for me!

Anyone have experience with something like this who might be able to share a few tips?

Approx 90 entrants....swim takes place in local pool, then bikes race an 18.5 Km route (12.5 miles for us old school) , fortunately i know the route as its around where i live, followed by a 2.5 mile bike ride then race myself to the finish line...well, thats the theory LOL

I have 3 x 8Gb 600x udma cards, would you shoot in RAW or JPG Fine?

I look upon the event as another form of motorsports, the legs being the motors??

Any suggestion appreciated...

Martin
    Martin

It is better to have and not need...than to need and not have!

EOS 7D, EF-S 15-85 IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 ll, EF 70-200 F4 L IS, Nissin Di866 Speedlight, Yongnuo YN568EX Speedlight, 4 x Yongnuo 622C triggers, a Battery Grip and 4 spare batteries (for emergencies...)

Re: Sprint Triathlons - anyone covered one?

Get into the pool as early as you can so your kit can acclimatize to the humid atmosphere.

For the cycle ride, motorcycles are used to prevent drafting. If you can blag a ride, you need to sit the wrong way around as a pillion and you can get some great shots on the move. A Beemer, or similar touring bike with some form of built-in back rest is safest for this.

Failing that, some 4x4's and estates not only have the opening hatch, but some also have opening glass. You can sit in the safety of the closed boot area, shooting though the open rear glass.

Hope that helps.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Colin but they might not be practical for me at this time..

Not having covered this event before i don't know anyone with a suitable 4x4 or motorbike but i agree they would be ideal.....

However, i will take a crash helmet with me just in case.....

The tip for the pool is a good one, i shall be there for 6.30am anyway and hopefully 30 minutes should be enough for the camera to acclimatise itself....

Cheers

Martin
      Martin

EOS 7D, EF-S 15-85 IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 ll, EF 70-200 F4 L IS, Nissin Di866 Speedlight, Yongnuo YN568EX Speedlight, 4 x Yongnuo 622C triggers, a Battery Grip and 4 spare batteries (for emergencies...)

Comment

Martin

If you are the official TOG, the organisers will want the best photo's possible and they will give you the opportunities. They also authorise the motorbikes to "Police" the event and if you tell them what you want, they will probably be able to arrange it.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Really? Ok, i'll see what I can sort out in the morning....

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew, I have a lot to cover and won't be able to get shots of everyone, unfortunately but will obviously do my best...I have confidence in my abilities but......exactly how much of the individual events should i cover?

Being on the back of a motorbike will get me 'face on shots'of the cyclists but i would like to do some panning, especially around a 90 degree bend but with 95 entrants i can't hope to get back for the 2.5 mile run and get to the finish line in time too.....

If it goes well and I get to do it next year I think i will need to find a couple of more assistants to help me
          Martin

Comment

The organisers only want good shots to publicise the event and face on are more likely to be published than side on. In saying that, if your panning is very good and you can get a streaked/blurred background, blurred wheels and a sharp bike/rider, that will always get published.

Also try the unusual shots - lying in (or close to) the road with a wide angle almost touching the road and pointing up at the riders. Great shot if it comes off, but you will have to manually expose to minimise the risk of silhouette.

Covering all the entrants is only beneficial if you are looking to sell your work and maximise your income by having shots of all of them. Nothing wrong with that, but the disciplines are different. For the event you need the highest quality, as technically correct as you can achieve and the more wow/unusual the better. Individuals need shots that show them clearly and in focus.

Good luck.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

I like the suggestion of laying down, i can do that...not sure about getting up though LOL..I will be shooting Manual anyway so hopefully that won't be an issue....

My panning isn't too bad, had some excellent results with motocross but then the speed is different but will experiment anyway....

I found my crash helmet so will be seeking a motorbikist to get a lift to one spot and then ask him to pick me back up on his return (about 20 minutes later, this way i can be back to cover the runners and the finals.....

I'll let you know tomorrow :O)

Because of the limitations with the canon lens, i'm using my D300 & Sigma 24-70 F2.8 for the wide shots and the EF-s for the full face on shots....all locked and loaded!!
              Martin

Comment

Good luck and hope to see some of your shots from the event.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Working...
                X