Sandisk Ultra ll SD cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandisk Ultra ll SD cards

I recently bought a Canon G11, and thought that while I was at it I'd get a large capacity SD card... all my curent ones are max 2 GB...so settled on the Sandisk Ultra ll 8GB.
    Now, I am quite familiar with Sd cards as I have been using them for many years on a varirty of cameras and I have never had any problems of any description. However, although the Ultra ll works perfectly well in the camera, I found that it would not work in my normal card reader. I tried another card reader and another computer and had the same result. I then tried all 8 card readers at a local computer centre (varying makes) and got the same result. Either the card slot shown in "My Computer" froze or the card was not even detected. In all cases, remove the card and pop a normal one in and no problem.

The card still worked fine in the camera. Then I found that my Epson P3000 external storage gadget read the card with no problem, and so did the internal card slot in one of my computers. But then I found that the PC /SD adapter in my Dell laptop didn't read the card either. USB 1 or 2 made no difference in the computers when using a card reader.

The card also works perfectly in at least 2 other cameras .. one several years old.

Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone explain it ? Is it that external card readers don't like anything above 2 GB in SD (my 8 and 16 GB CF cards work ok) or is it that the circutry in the Ultra ll cards is different making them unreadable in some devices ??

And the bottom line is.. could it be a faulty Ultra ll card ?
    Last edited by camerasouth; 03-11-2009, 22:09.

Re: Sandisk Ultra ll SD cards

Ah.. I have my answer... I happened to be passing my camera supplier's today so popped in and asked. It seems that any card reader over about a year old will not read the Ultra ll cards (as will not some cameras) as the internal circuitry is slightly different. 'Shame it doesn't mention card readers on the pack ( although it does say to check that the camera etc can take it!) Current card readers should be able to cope with this.

Strange isn't it.. I only popped in to ask about the card but came out having spent another £50 on a wireless remote!!!! Addictive this camera lark !!

Comment

Not really as 2gB was the limit on SD cards but SD HC cards which you now have can go above this limit. It is a slightly different format and not backwards compatible with the old SD format. You therefore need a reader that is SD HC compatible. Technology advances at a fast rate and so in our throw away society you need to upgrade what you already have to keep pace and give the suppliers some more money for the privilege,
      --
      Colin
      http://fotos-espana.com
      http://macameraclub.com
      http://turnspain.com

Comment

You can buy an SDHC card reader from 7dayShop for a few quid.

Comment

Working...
        X