which lens would you recomend ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which lens would you recomend ?

I have been looking at and reading about macro lens and seem to have narrowed it down to the cannon 100mm f2.8 and the sigma105mm f2.8, does anyone have first hand experience of these. I currently use a sigma 70-300 with macro but want something better. Thanks for any help.

Re: which lens would you recomend ?

Between the 2 mentioned i would go for the Canon but have a look at the Tamron SP90, It beat all other macro lenses in that focal range in a recent mag

Dave

Comment

Hi Kev,

The canon is excellent, I used it on a pro product shoot.

I would be prepared to wager that the sigma is fine too(I've got other EXDG lenses from sigma), so I guess it depends on your budget, and what you want to use it for.

If the Sigma is the EX technically that's sigma's 'pro' range, which would theoretically be 'better' than the Canon non l lens.

However to be frank unless you are blowing up to large sixes, and examining with a magnifying glass, I doubt if you will be disappointed with either.

Comment

Historically, the Tamron was always a popuilar portrait lens....

Comment

While there are a number that are similar in image quality I opted for the Canon for the following:

Uses inner focusing so no extending barrel which can block the view and light (and just gets worse if using a lens hood)
          No rotating front element so I can use macro flash kit (as well as a circular polarizer)
          Very fast USM AF system with full time manual override
          Focus limiter.

It's when you start ticking all the boxes that it all filters down to the Canon.

Comment

I highly recommend the EF100mm f/2.8 macro from Canon. I think so highly of its IQ, it would deserve an "L" designation, if it were sealed. For the price, you get lots of "bang for the buck".

I have no experience with the Sigma nor Tamron macros, so I have no opinion regarding those.

Incidentally, I also own the MP-E65 macro and the EF180L, and I still reach for the 100mm just as frequently. It just depends upon the working distances I'm after.
            -
            o---« Dr. Mark Polis b.d.bop@comcast.net »---o

flickr
            PBase Galleries
            -

Comment

Thanks for all your opinions, I guess that I will really have to go and try them out in a camera shop and make my mind up . Will check out the Tamron as well. Again thanks.

Comment

I'm another Canon 100mm macro user and would rate it above the others mentioned for the same reasons as JohnMaij - internal, near silent and ultra fast focusing, but also build quality. I've used the Sigma 105 but it just feels flimsy compared to the Canon.
                Jeff
                www.jeffharrisonphotography.co.uk
                (Schedule 1 Licence holder for Avocets, Kingfishers and Barn Owls)

Comment

For what it's worth, I have the Tamron 90mm and love it. But I would like to play with a Canon 100mm and do a comparison myself.

Dave
                  Always trying hard.

Comment

I also have the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens and find the image quality first class.

Comment

I have the sigma 105mm. It is a great lens, I have had no problems with it. I use with tubes and 1.4 ext and it works great. I would say if you are going to shoot butterfly's or dragon's to look at the sigma 150 or a 180mm macro
                      Thanks Jeff

Comment

I have the Canon 100mm f2.8 and it is a cracker. I also occasionally use it as a portrait lens.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

I have just been reading all your comments and wondered if the Canon 60mm macro would be worth considering? Also several test reports suggest that the Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm macro could be a contender as it is very sharp and has a very good build quality and is also cheaper than the Canon.
                          I have just bought my first Canon. a 50D with 17-85 lens and 430EX II flash, and therefore am open to advice and recommendations not only about a macro lens but also wide angle zooms and whether to go for a 70-200L f2.8 USM or the 70-200 f4 L IS USM? Or again Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc in similar ranges.
                          Although I wish it wasn't so there are sometimes budget limitations to consider.

Comment

Now that Canon have introduced an L version of the 100mm macro, prices of existing stock may drop or you might get a good second hand deal where someone wants to "trade up". The non-L lens has had many years of prase heaped on it – just because a new variation has come to market doesn't mean it not still a cracking lens.
                            Dave

Comment

I believe that Canon are not going to faze the existing lens out but to run them side by side which is a good thing considering the cost of the new one

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X