1100d or 550d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100d or 550d

Hi, I have previously owned dslr and point and shoots in the past and after owning a superzoom over the last while, I have decided to get a dslr, I was looking at the 1100d, seems like a nice entry level camera for a good price, but noticed it doesn't have dust reduction, which put me off a bit. I have also been looking at the 550d. I know this is a higher featured camera with more mp etc. but also at a higher price. Finances are tight so it would be a bit more of a struggle to get the 550d, but how much difference would there be in image quality between the two? obviously the 1100d is more basic, but would I be happy with the image quality, which is really the main thing. I have already ordered the 55-250mm lens for whichever one I choose. Anyone have any experience of these two cameras? and would the lack of built in dust reduction be a problem? thanks for any help/advice in advance :) jacqui.

Re: 1100d or 550d

Have you looked at the Canon 1000d and the 450d. Alough discontinued models they are yet sold New and even mint on ebay sellers and Amazon. Both models have dust delete built in. They are also much cheaper.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I own a 350d and 5d, both have no dust reduction technology. I have to say i have never felt missing this feature so far for the last 6 years.
      Raj
      Flickr

Comment

Thanks rajjayaraj, that's good to know it hasn't been a problem :) Nathaniel, I have had a look around but I am hoping to buy either one on finance (home shopping) so I am a bit limited with choice. I like the idea of some sort of video, although it is not high up the list, and also I would prefer the sd cards rather than c/f so that is what bought me to these two, just not sure if I need to spend the extra for the 550d and if it will make that much difference to image quality. Thanks, jacqui.

Comment

I am surprised that the 1100d doesn't have dust delete as this is a standard feature in all the newer models. I would double check this aspect. If you are buying on finance, you will be OK with the 1100d as it will offer very good image quality. I would also suggest to get a bank loan,which is cheaper than finance houses or shop HP and repay the loan in monthly instalments, and if you go down that route you can buy a 450d outright and I know it gives very good picture quality,has got dust delete but No video.I have owned one.The 450d used SD cards.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Another vote for the 450D. A solid performer for a first DSLR.

Ian
            EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Thanks for your advice, 1100d definately doesn't have dust reduction, only software based, not sure why they dropped it as it was on the 1000d. Would like to have some sort of video if possible, just basic video is fine. Does anyone own an 1100d, how do they find it? thanks, jacqui.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't go for the 1100d - it is too stripped down. It may be fine to start with but you will soon hit the limits. A good used 550D is a good place to start - for low budget lens the 18-55IS kit lens plus 55-250IS makes a good combination.

It might be worthwhile looking at a used 600D for the articulated screen if your budget stretches that far
                ef-r

Comment

Hi, thanks for all your advice, I am definately edging towards the 550d, I have already bought a 55-250mm lens, as I was sure I wanted one of these. I know the 1100d is cheaper and the image quality still good but I am beginning to agree with people that I might outgrow it quite quickly. The price of the 1100d still appeals but maybe in the long run I will be more satisfied with the 550d. Thanks, Jacqui.

Comment

I own a Canon 600D (very similar tho the 550D) and my brother owns an 1100D. Both these cameras are very close in terms of quality. I have used both enough to know this. Although there is no dust reduction on the 1100D, my brother has never had any problems and he does often have the lens off as he's always using mine. The 1100D has all the settings and options you'll likely need, I mean I wouldn't use it as a main camera but then I certainly wouldn't use my 600D as a main camera either as I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm producing work I need to print and sell. Another point to make is that the number of Megapixels means nothing. One of the only big differences is the resolution of the rear screen but it's still pretty good. I'd say both cameras are pretty similar. Video is better on the 550D but then it's still very good on the 100D. I'd say you're better off with the 1100D and some better accessories with the money you save.
                    Last edited by dkane95; 29-06-2012, 17:06.

Comment

Hi, just an update, I decided on the 550d, got it today with 55-250mm lens, and although havent had much time with it yet, been very happy with the few shots I have got so far. So thanks to all who offered help and advice and different points of view. Hopefully I will be able to post one or two photos soon, I am sure they will not be anywhere near the quality of the photos on here from you guys, but I will hopefully learn a lot and improve with time :) jacqui.

Comment

Yep - now is the time to get out and enjoy yourself with the new camera
                        ef-r

Comment

Working...
                        X