Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DPP problem, anyone able to help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPP problem, anyone able to help please?

Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum but decided it was a good place to try and find the answer to my problem. I've been running DPP on various machines over the years, and love the way it handles RAW files. My graphics laptop had a funny turn, which meant a return to factory settings was necessary I was able to deactivate and remove most of my heavy duty (ie expensive!) software and plugins before doing this so a lot of issues were avoided.

When I came to re-install the Canon software I could not find the discs for any of my cameras - they were all together in a 'safe' place ..... After searching in vain I bit the bullet and bought the full 7D kit from EOS Magazine only to find that when installed there was no DPP icon on my desktop. I tried to identify the .exe file and it would appear to be DPPComposite.exe which has the correct icon. This file will not run and gives this detailed error in the Windows error message:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: DPPComposite.exe
    Application Version: 3.11.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 4f4304ab
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0002dfe4
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

If there are any geniuses out there who can give me a clue as to how to fix this I really would appreciate being pointed in the right direction! Right now my only option is to do the work on my elderly desktop, and it takes forever to process these big files.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Jen

EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro
    500D converted with 720nm filter for Infrared

Re: DPP problem, anyone able to help please?

I'm not sure what the problem is Jen, but did you get the correct software for you laptop, i.e 32 bit or 64 bit? (Just a thought, that's all)
    Have you tried a reboot and then try launching the software again? Also, try right clicking on the exe file and run as administrator.

This link 'might' give you a few ideas to try. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...a/ntdlldll.htm
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

My DPP shortcut is linked to DPPViewer.exe
      Same here

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2
        What exactly does DPPComposite.exe do ??
        It does not work on my Win7 computer either but I have never used it or know what it does.
        I only found it when looking in the "Program Files/Canon/"
        My DPP shortcut is linked to DPPViewer.exe
        I've just tried to run DPPComposite.exe and I get the same error that Jen gets, so whatever it is, it doesn't run by itself. The DPPViwer as mentioned, does work.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
          I'm not sure what the problem is Jen, but did you get the correct software for you laptop, i.e 32 bit or 64 bit? (Just a thought, that's all)
          Have you tried a reboot and then try launching the software again? Also, try right clicking on the exe file and run as administrator.

This link 'might' give you a few ideas to try. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...a/ntdlldll.htm
          Thanks Andy, I'll check out that link maybe tomorrow when I'm able to get back home, just replying on my iPad cos it's rude to ignore people :) I did the install from a genuine Canon Software CD in a 7D replacement kit, it installed into x86 program's on my 64 bit system. It did work before just fine, what puzzled me was that no icon appeared on the desktop although there was one for Picture Style Editor, Zoombrowser and EOS Utility. When I searched for DPP in the start menu all it found was the uninstall link!
          Regards
          Jen
          Jen

EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

Comment

Thanks Andy and everyone else, I will try that and create a shortcut - very pleased with all the help, I might just stick around and learn something new :)
            Jen
            Jen

Comment

Hi you could try this:

Browse to

C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional

Find DPPViewer.exe
              Right click and select:
              send to: -> desktop (Create shortcut)
              Or
              right click - pin to start menu or add to quick launch
              or all of the above.

If DPP doesn't work after that, try reinstalling

Trev

Comment

Thanks to you all for your help, seems I did not try all the .exe files in the folder, sorry for being a nuisance. Nice to know there are clever people out there who can put me straight! As a matter of interest, anyone know why DPP did not automatically put a shortcut on the desktop when it installed? When I had it on that machine previously, before it threw it's toys out of the pram and had to be remastered an icon was there. Sometimes you begin to think you are losing the plot!

Thanks again

Jen
                Jen

Comment

DPPComposite.exe is a new plugin tool (called from DPP Tools/Start Compositing Tool) cf DPPHDRTool.exe another new plugin tool.

Comment

Thank you for explaining that one, but I still have a problem which I have reported below.
                    Jen
                    Jen

Comment

Re: DPP problem, anyone able to help please? Another set of questions!

I thank you all for your help, but the file which you all mention is not there for me to click on.

.exe files in the Digital Photo Professional folder, full path is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\Digital Photo Professional on a Window 7 64 bit system

DPPComposite.exe - already documented what happens
                      DPPHdrTool.exe - no result
                      DPPLensBatch.exe - same result as DPPComposite, does not run
                      DPPLensDL.exe - Brings up box to add/remove lens data
                      DPPLensEx.exe - no result
                      DPPLensViewer.exe - no result
                      DPPPrinter.exe - no result
                      DPPRenamer.exe - no result
                      DPPStamp.exe - no result
                      DPPTrimmer.exe - no result.

I do not seem to have a DPPViewer.exe - I have TEN .exe files in that folder, can anyone tell me how to get this resolved? I'm wondering how many you all have, and whether any others are missing!
                      Jen

Comment

It's not always wise to double click on .exe's if you don't know what they do :-)

Sounds like somehow your DPPViewer has been deleted. Simplest (safest) way is to remove the DPP installation (using Control Panel) and then reinstall from the Canon EOS CD.

Comment

I am also running Windows7 64bit.
                          In my DPP folder I have 14 .exe files.
                          I suggest removing the programme via "uninstall" in the control panel then re-boot the computer.
                          After re-booting type "regedit" in the search box and open regedit.exe.
                          Now go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and "Software" come down to the Canon folder and delete it.
                          Re-boot the computer again.
                          Re-install the Canon software from the disc and re-boot again.
                          Download and install the updates from the Canon site HERE and reboot yet again.

Hopefully this will solve your problem.
                          Alternately go to "system restore" to a point when everything worked and install the updates.

Comment

Yes, I do know it was a silly thing to do, but I had already previously uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled twice with no resolution. This time it seemed to work, and still works with the June update from Canon.
                            Hopefully that will be the end of the problem and I can get to work on some RAW files, DPP does the best job for me :)

Jen
                            Jen

Comment

Thanks Stephen, I THINK it is OK now, but I have copied all that message and saved it - if it happens again I can try the regedit solution. Computers are great when they work!

Jen

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
                              I am also running Windows7 64bit.
                              In my DPP folder I have 14 .exe files.
                              I suggest removing the programme via "uninstall" in the control panel then re-boot the computer.
                              After re-booting type "regedit" in the search box and open regedit.exe.
                              Now go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and "Software" come down to the Canon folder and delete it.
                              Re-boot the computer again.
                              Re-install the Canon software from the disc and re-boot again.
                              Download and install the updates from the Canon site HERE and reboot yet again.

Hopefully this will solve your problem.
                              Alternately go to "system restore" to a point when everything worked and install the updates.
                              Jen

Comment

Working...
                              X