EF-S 18-55mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF-S 18-55mm

I bought the 'non is' version as the kit lens with my 400D, I found it a bit soft so sold it on ebay and bought the 'is' version - I found it to be loads better and I'm never reluctant to use it as I was with the 'non-is' version.
    It's disappointing that a firm like Canon can make poor lenses.
    I don't subscribe to the 'entry level - doesn't matter too much idea', because surely no one would buy an SLR if they don't have an advanced interest - just my view.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: EF-S 18-55mm

I tend to agree. Most unfortunately, this lens doesn't really do the camera justice, as I myself have found out. I've got the 350D, and the images that i took orginally with the 'kit lens' was Ok, but nothing special compared to the Sigma Lens (18-200 DC and 10-20mm DC EX) which I bought later - so much sharper and better tonal range. I don't use the 18-55 lens anymore, just sitting in the cupboard!

"I don't subscribe to the 'entry level - doesn't matter too much idea', because surely no one would buy an SLR if they don't have an advanced interest - just my view."

I think also the label 'entry level' is just that, a label. Entry level cameras are too expensive, if it is just for happy snapping!
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

There is a starting point for most things, and for anyone looking to upgrade for the first time to an SLR then the cost at that stage is likely to be a major factor. My first digi SLR was a 350D with kit lens, and yes, the lens wasn't the best but changing it was not an option for quite a while.

In my opinion it gets a bad press a bit undeservedly - only if its performance and build quality is being compared with similarly spec'd, similarly priced offerings is the criticism justified. I have seen some high quality images taken with this combo from many different photographers.

I rest my defence ;¬) I now use a Canon 17 - 85 IS USM - that gets just as bad press elsewhere!

Comment

i read from the photozone.de reviews of the "kit lens" esp the IS version, and the results were surprising. Though i'm new to photography, i've been reading a bit on the performance of various Canon lenses, when i saw the 5 star rating for perforamce/price of this lens, i was truly surprised. i agree with petros on the amazing quality pictures this lens produced, even the optical quality gets 3 out of 4 star. i was intending to purchase the "all-in-one" 18-200mm EF-S but received a mere one star for optical quality and 2 star for overall performance. looks i might invest in the much better rated 17-55mm or the new 15-85mm? since i'm more to landscape and macro photography...i've taken many shots myself with this "kit lens" and so far image quality is indeed good
        EOS 500D | EF-S 18-55mm IS

Comment

Bad workmen blame their tools!! I have got the IS version and it serves my purpose. I don't hear the IS working but it is quite a nice little lens, and light to cart around the world. I don't think any major camera manufacturer will ever make a bad lens- bad publicity and they will go bust very soon.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I am very happy with the 18-55IS - I have also found the 'budget' 55-200 to be very acceptable. These two lens together cover the day to day requirements. I also have a Sigma 105 2.8 for macro and the 50 1.8 which cover the low light/short DOF as well.

I am thinking of getting a 28mm 1.8 to make up the bag.
            ef-r

Comment

One of my interest is to take photographs in museums where one cannot use flash. Is the 50mm f1.8 better than the EF-S 18mm-55mm IS lens. I have a 450d
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

The image quality of the 50mm f1.8 is really good and the extra f stops will be very useful in low light situations. Be aware of the decreasing depth of field as you use lower f numbers though.

Comment

Totally fed up with my moaning friend telling me how poor quality his kit lens was, I checked his EXIF details and made some suggestions of how he could improve his results. He commented that it was OK for me with a bag full of "L" series. Well, that reminded me of me quite a few years ago, so on our next outing together I suggested we swap kit.

He was, not surprisingly, very pleased at the prospect, but that was fairly shortlived when we reviewed our results on the computer. His results were nowhere near his expectations, or even that of his 18 - 55mm. I said nothing!

Since then, he always asked what my settings were for a given situation, before shooting. As his results have improved, so has his confidence and he no longer asks for my settings ......... or blames his equipment.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Aso posted this in another forum topic (sorry for the double-up):

Quick question - I have just purchased a 450D with a twin lens Kit: 18mm-55mm IS and 55mm-250mm IS.

I have had very little chance to play with either lens and I'm just about to go to Europe and go crazy with the camera.

Can everyone tell me what each lens 'sweet spot' is. I have read somewhere that both lenses lose their sharpness beyond f11.

Can anyone provide any feedback on this?

Much appreciated!
                    Cheers!

Michael

Comment

Excellent lens. Very sharp and a good buy at the price. this lens along with the 55mm-250mmIS is a good start to build your lens collection as your needs and experience widens.

Comment

There is a drop off in quality with smaller apertures - because such a small proportion of the lens area has to carry the whole image.
                        I found this to be true when I set f45 on my 18-55 and the image was as if taken with a 2MP camera phone.
                        Should be ok down to f16 - but I'd only go to f22 and beyond if absolutely necessary - cant imagine when that would arise.
                        check out dpreview website which shows this graphically - and you can change f stops to see the effect.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have not experienced any problems so far and I am very satisfied with this lens. Please check out the views of other forum members who have this lens.

Comment

Working...
                          X