Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked Photo / Images Sizes

Hi Robert

Would it be posible to restrict the maximum width of linked images from other sites to say 650 or 750. At present some images are being inserted which are far to wide and they are spoiling the look of the forum and in some case the reply buttons etc. are not visible.

I tend to post images at 680 wide with no affect. Some are posting with 800 wide which are OK initially but if the quote button is used the image is shifted to the right causing a similar problems.

Richard
    rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Re: Linked Photo / Images Sizes

Im surprised there are no rules for this.

Comment

Here is an example:

Originally posted by Chris J View Post
      Being retired (but not yet drawing an old age pension) I see a lot of different ways of describing this age group, particularly in cafes etc - "Pensioners' Specials", "OAP Discount Menu", "Senior Citizens Offer" etc. The most flattering was an advert for a "Golden Years Menu" (well, cheap fish and chips).
      Saw this couple at Glendurgan Gardens in Cornwall relaxing at the end of a path approached through a tunnel of vegetation, and thought that phrase seemed very appropriate -

50D + 24-205L.

Cheers, Chris - and how about some "Golden Years" prices on Canon gear???
      rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Here another example:

... at the Falmouth Beer Festival last month.

All lined up and ready to go -

A good festival, and good beers.

50D + 24-105L in just the natural, dull light coming through the marquee roof (raining outside).

Cheers, Chris.

Comment

And another example:

One of the two Parry People Movers that are fairly new on the very short railway branch from Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town in the Midlands. Parry is the firm that made them.
          Only carry a couple of dozen people at the most, but they go every ten minutes or so. Powered by a 500kg flywheel that is spun up to speed by what is basically a 2litre Ford car engine powered by LPG. Quite fun, except that the track is very poorly jointed stuff on a bed that needs a lot of attention. Use of these Parrys released a "full size" train for work elsewhere.

50D + 24-105L.

Cheers, Chris.

Comment

These images don't look big at all on my screen.
            Rhodopsin, what resolution have you got your screen set to?

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
              These images don't look big at all on my screen.
              Rhodopsin, what resolution have you got your screen set to?

Millie
              The width of the image is too wide and text is missing within the posts.

It's got nothing to do with screen resolution as it occurs on three of my computers.

Comment

Originally posted by rhodopsin View Post
                The width of the image is too wide and text is missing within the posts.

It's got nothing to do with screen resolution as it occurs on three of my computers.
                sorry I can't replicate your problem on my computer. Unless I set the resolution to 1024*768 or use my dad's old laptop.

Comment

Me thinks Robert Scott needs to look into it.

Comment

There is no missing text, or image, you just need to scroll back & forth using the slider bar at the bottom of your screen... a little cumbersome if you have a smaller screen I agree, but it's almost impossible to "legislate" for size for linked images hosted on external sites!
                    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                      There is no missing text, or image, you just need to scroll back & forth using the slider bar at the bottom of your screen... a little cumbersome if you have a smaller screen I agree, but it's almost impossible to "legislate" for size for linked images hosted on external sites!
                      This is how it appear on my web browser:

I've reduced it to fit

If I scroll up the posted text is also missing.

This is occuring on my three computers.

Comment

Mmmmm - that's odd - you seem to have lost the side-to-side scroll bar which s/be at the bottom of the window - just the same as the up-down scroll bar for anything which exceeds the limit of the current window!

What OpSys are you running? Have you tried re-setting the display options?
                        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                          Mmmmm - that's odd - you seem to have lost the side-to-side scroll bar which s/be at the bottom of the window - just the same as the up-down scroll bar for anything which exceeds the limit of the current window!

What OpSys are you running? Have you tried re-setting the display options?
                          Explorer 8 and XP both the latest version. No other forums react like this.

Anyway, most website restrict width size to prevent this issue. Even your name sake forum must restrict the image size.

Comment

Hi, from the guilty party......
                            As my images are used in this thread I will attempt an explanation...

I host and post using flickr, sometimes using the "medium" image size and sometimes the "large". The former is too small, but the latter can give a need to scroll across the screen, and yes, it does affect the test width. However, this is worse on my "squarer" screen desk-top than my wider screen lap-top. I guess I am posting smaller when I use the desk-top and larger when I post using the lap-top.
                            But, thanks, Rhodopsin for pointing this out, and I would love to know how you re-sized my Golden Years image in its original thread. I used to like the facility on the old forum to specify the width of image for a post (although it did give quality issues if one tried to post wider than the file quality/size/resolution/whatever allowed).
                            Cheers, Chris.
                            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

For the record - I am not a subscriber to, or have anything to do with the "canon fodder forum" !

But, to the matter at hand... I am not aware of any forum (and I haven't really looked at the aforesaid forum) that restricts the size of images hosted externally to the forum!

This is different of course from images hosted ON any forum, where the forum administrators have the absolute right to specify posting values.

Seems to me that there is a conflict somewhere on your system that is preventing the horizontal scroll bar from displaying on this forum's website! There are a couple of reports on Google about this type of problem, but I didn't look to deeply...

Try this; swith to "full-screen" mode (F11) (F11 to return)... does the horizontal scroll-bar appear now?

Comment

Working...
                              X