Linked Photo / Images Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linked Photo / Images Sizes

This is all probably a storm in a tea cup. But I think that Rhodospin has a point. Although I don't have a problem with the screen ( I use Windows XP and Firefox web browser), I think that a smaller posting size is more user friendly - esp if you have a smaller screen. I agree with the size he suggested i.e. around 600 -800 pixels ( 800 max) width. (this really is big enough!) What I have done is created a folder called Web photos and so all the photos in this folder have the settings around 72ppi and 700-800 pixels in width, ( or if portrait format 800 px in height or less). I set the size when I use photoshop's 'save to web' function and save the image to the web folder I created. This way I don't have too large images and are separate from my originals. I then post them to flickr and from there of course you can choose 'large, medium or small' etc. If you choose 'large' this is the same same as you saved it to on your computer.
    For web based photos, they do not need to be so large - also takes up less space in storage and the screen!

By the way - you can download from Microsoft 'Image Resizer', this is under Power Toys, and this function allows you to resize your images. A useful function -esp for emails, web postings etc...
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Robert Scott emailed me earlier to say he'll look at it this evening.

Canon Fodder - F11 has no effect other than what it is supposed to do which full frame the browser.
      rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Me again.
        This thread has pushed me in to learning how to re-size via DPP, so thank you, Rhodo, for being the catalyst and all the others for contributions.
        If this has worked the image below should be 800 wide and fit all screens, leaving no over-hang of text.

Rhodo - could you drop a reply if this size is OK?
        Cheers, and thank you, Chris.
        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris J View Post
          Me again.
          This thread has pushed me in to learning how to re-size via DPP, so thank you, Rhodo, for being the catalyst and all the others for contributions.
          If this has worked the image below should be 800 wide and fit all screens, leaving no over-hang of text.

Rhodo - could you drop a reply if this size is OK?
          Cheers, and thank you, Chris.
          Hi Chris

I only used your posts as examples as they were recent post. I hope you didn't mind. There are quite a few images being posted on the site which are being linked to this site from other which are equally causing visual problems.

Lovely photo by the way
          rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Thanks - no problem using my stuff to illustrate the size issue.
            I assume the last one was OK on your screen. It was from Trebah Garden in Cornwall, and I just liked the way the scene formed a "diagonal" between the darker surroundings. 50D + 24-105L as usual.
            Cheers, Chris.
            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

All the pictures look fine to me with no cut off at all.

Brian

1600/1200, firefox, Win7
              ef-r

Comment

The screenshot of your browser shows your browser is not maximised sometimes that can make a difference.

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                  The screenshot of your browser shows your browser is not maximised sometimes that can make a difference.

Millie
                  It's not that. It's got something to with Explorer 8 and the forum setup. Plus the fact that folks are posting images too wide for the forum

Comment

I use Firefox on a 1600x1200 screen - absolutely no issue with photos
                    ef-r

Comment

I use Firefox on a 1600x1200 screen - absolutely no issue with photos
                      LOL... bet you can't view this one with absolutley no probs.
                      http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1289

It's only 8.3Mb, and it makes Chris J's images look like thumbnails!
                      (No worries Vince)

I'm going to take Rhodopsin's suggestion and restrict myself to 640 pixel max longest side to help those with viewing,layout, and browser problems.

Millie

Comment

No problems with viewing it - just used the scroll bar on the bottom. The problem with 640 bytes max on a landscape is that you cant see any detail.

This is the dilema we face
                        ef-r

Comment

I think all forums with a narrow forum layout have problems with images being too big. For a photography forum you need to make the photos important, ie give them room to breath, after all thats what the forums about ;) Its really not nescesary to have such a narrow forum nowadays, not many people using 800x600 res anymore and most photographers are using 1680x1050 or higher.

Comment

I’m using 1680x1050 but I am mindful that some people’s max comfortable image viewing size is 800px wide. Therefore I am happy to limit my images to between 640px between 800 px max widest side, this size fits nicely in the forum too.

If I was out walking with a group of people and someone in the group couldn’t walk quickly because they had a gammy leg. I’d slow down to their comfortable pace, so as not to make them feel isolated or uncomfortable.

Millie

Comment

Working...
                            X