Considering a new photo printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a new photo printer

The photo print quality of my Epson Stylus Photo R300 is beginning to 'tail off' in terms of print sharpness, so I'm thinking that the time to replace it is approaching.

It is quite a few years old now, and has been an excellent photo printer, with the added bonus that British made Jetec cartridges have been available for it, and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than those from Epson.

I switched to Jetec some years ago, and the print quaility is equal to that from Epson's own ink, as is the longevity of the prints (about 7 years so far).

The biggest failing with Epson inkjet printers, is that if you don't print anything for a few weeks, the ink dries in the print head nozzles, which in severe cases can write the printer off, as the print head is an integral part of the printer, and as such not replaced with the ink cartridges.

I have twice had to rescue the printer, using the "Print Hospital" print head flushing kit.

My other two printers, an Epson and an HP, are just general purpose printers, and not used for photo printing.

I like to have a dedicated photo printer.

So, I would be very interested to know what printers you guys use for your photo printing, and your views on print quality, running costs, and whether or not you use the original ink cartridges, or 'third party' ones.

Dave
    Dave

Re: Considering a new photo printer

I run an ancient Canon i9950 A3+ printer and it refuses to die. I would like one of the latest Canon Pixma printers, but too difficult to justify while the current one is still working as good as new.

Not cheap to run as I only use Canon inks and paper. A prior experience with an Epson printer and third party inks killed any appetite of mine to save a few pennies by using alternatives.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I can honestly say that the Epson R300 has, until very recently, produced consistently high quality prints with either Epson or Jetec ink.

I did try other third party inks, and was never impressed.

I should add that I have only ever used Epson photo paper.

Does the Canon have its print heads replaced with the cartridges, as with HP printers?

To me, the biggest negative with Epson ink jet printers, is having to use them regularly to avoid the print head nozzles blocking with dried ink.

I guess HP inkjets could have the same problem, but at least you only need to replace the ink catridge, not the printer

I might want to go a few weeks without printing a photo, and with Epson, you just can't afford to do that.

The inflated cost of manufaturer branded ink cartridges is an age old gripe among most end-users. I would sooner pay an intitial higher price for a printer, and have sensibly priced replacement cartidges.

I note that Kodak make quite a thing about the low running cost of their printers, but has anyone here had any experience of using one?.

BTW, my old Epson Stylus Colour 680, must now be something like 15 years old. It has never let me down, and can still produce reasonable photo prints, albeit not as good as the R300, but pretty good all the same.

The reason that it has never failed, is almost certainly down the fact that it has been in regular use as an everyday printer.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

I have recently bought an Epson Stylus PX730WD and I can't fault it..............
        My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
        © JH Foto
        The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

The Canon Pixma ip4950 dedicated photo printer looks good, and Jetec (whose ink has proven to be every bit as good as Epson's own) have compatible cartidges for this printer.

BTW, I only require to print up to A4.

Any thoughts on this printer?

Dave
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post
            I have recently bought an Epson Stylus PX730WD and I can't fault it..............
            I'm sure you wont' fault the print quality, as I never did with my R300.

Does it employ the integral print-head, as does my Epson 300 and 680. If so, makes sure you print something, at least once per month.

Dave
            Dave

Comment

I have come across many high quality prints from Pixma printers and from what I have experienced, there isn't a dud amongst them.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

+1 for Pixma (I've a 9000 Mark II).

Comment

Have just read several reviews on ip4950, and while the print quality is not in question, I read the same negative comment many times over, and that is the tiny 9ml ink cartridges that it uses, which apparently run out very quickly.

It seems that most people had bought the 4950 to replace their ageing 4000 and 4500 models, which they were all very happy with, from both the print quality aspect, and sensibly sized (and cheaper) ink cartridges.

Almost to a man, they saw the 4950 as a retrograde step by Canon.

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X