Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon Extender EF 2x III

Hi there
    With regard to the focus tracking a moving object etc, would adjusting the 7D's AI servo settings have helped at all ?
    Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

A great review Les, very interesting reading, don't own either a 1.4 or 2.0 T/C but the images posted certainly show they can be a cost effective way to gain more focal length .

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Thndr_strck View Post
        Hi there
        With regard to the focus tracking a moving object etc, would adjusting the 7D's AI servo settings have helped at all ?
        Good point, and I must admit I've not considered this, I've the servo settings set that work for me with primes +1.4TC, perhaps the 2.0 TC needs a different tweak? something I'll explore.

Originally posted by raymon View Post
        A great review Les, very interesting reading, don't own either a 1.4 or 2.0 T/C but the images posted certainly show they can be a cost effective way to gain more focal length .

Ray
        Definitely, particularly the 1.4TC, you lose a stop (i.e a 300 mm F4 lens becomes a 420mm F5.6 lens), but the image quality hit is slight.

Apart from using the 1.4TC on medium/long primes, I often take the 1.4TC along when shooting street photography, add it to a 135mm F2 and it gives a very useful 190mm F2.8 if you need that extra bit of range. The 1.4TC is light and compact and takes up very little room in your camera bag.
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

A very interesting and informative review Les.

Thank you.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

Thank you very much Les. The Extender 2X has always been on my mind. Still thinking.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
              With any review you are bound to get differing, sometimes conflicting views, that's why I always begin my reviews by emphasizing that the review reflects my thoughts, it's a personal thing.
              Great review, to be fair I thinks it's a pretty impartial and well detailed overview.
              All any of us can do is give our own opinions, after all we all have different likes, dislikes and preferences.
              Thanks again for taking the time to post the info.
              Andy

Comment

The Extender 2X has always been on my mind. Still thinking.
                why ? - unless you are into manual focus it would be no good on your current lenses

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

What about the Yongnuo YN 2X convertor at under £100, for the occasional use that this convertor is put to? See the other thread of mine under Accessories!
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Dont know about the yongnuo but I had the jessops 2x which looks quite similar and around the same price and it was rubbish

Stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

I have to agree with Stan, I have a cheap extender and the results are supremely disappointing, poor contrast, soft, and AF woes all conspire to make it a worthless piece of junk. Canon's 2x iii is another story entirely, but then it's also significantly more expensive.
                      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Stan and Steve- thank you both. Point taken.

Comment

[ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Working...
                          X