Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dropped equipment in a lake.

Hi,

I'm into wildlife photography (www.zero3images.com), yesterday we were trying to take pictures of some very rare (in Sri Lanka) ducks and the only access to them was via a small boat. The boat capsized and two other photographers and their equipment went over board. The equipment was submerged for a 10-15 seconds and may have not gone further the 3 feet deep in the water. The water was fresh water. Once on dry land the battery and the memory card was removed. And when we got back to civilization ( 4 hrs later) they were dried with a hair drier and stored in a dry box. The equipment is with the agents at this moment. Does anyone have any experience with such a situation and if the equipment was reusable?

The equipment that went for a swim where a Eos 5 mark 2, a 1.4X mark 3, and 500 f4 lens, the other photographer had a Eos 1 mark 4, a 1.4V mark 3 and a 400 f2.8 lens. Luckily due to my size I decided not to get into the small boat and my equipment was safe.

Any feedback from this forum would be appreciated.

thanks
    Namal

Re: dropped equipment in a lake.

I feel for your friends as I have been close to that situation many times. Whoever your Gods are, they were smiling upon you that day, as you didn't go in..

You have taken the first steps of removing batteries and memory cards, especially the battery as electricity, air and humidity equals corrosion. Next step depends how much water actually got in. In theory, the 1D MKIV should fare better than the 5D as it has improved water proofing, but 3 feet of water for 15 seconds is probably a little harsher than the rain showers that Canon imagined.

I would break down the equipment to body, extender and lens and ensure all moisture is removed. Gentle hair dryer is probably as good as any solution. Then I would get as much silica gel as you can, put it in a container and dry it out fully in an oven for 5 minutes or so and then place the silica gel in a sealed container with the camera gear. Give it a couple of days with that, then remove the silica gel, dry it in the oven again and repeat the procedure. Use your judgement and if all looks ok, try a new battery and see if it works ok. If it does, I would send to your service agent for a service, advising them of the circumstances and what action you have taken. If all doesn't work, send to service agent for repair, again advising them of the circumstances.

Or, if they are fully insured, make a claim on their insurer.

Hope that helps.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

thanks Collins. I don't think it was in the water for 15 seconds, but it was well and truly in the water. It's with the agents at the moment.

My decision not to get on the boat was based on the lack of good lighting, and thus meaning only a record shot (which I had), and for the first time my weight came to my rescue. I took one look at the boat and said, there is no way that will hold my weight and another photographer.

I'm trying to give some glimmer of hope to my friends. We are not professionals and these are from what ever we can save from our day job. We all understand the risks when following our art, but it is of little consolation when your hard earned equipment is wet.

Comment

Hmm - I did exactly the same with my old 40D a couple of years ago - it was in water (sea water this time in a rock pool) for no more than 2 seconds and it completely fried the internals. Did all of the stuff Colin mentioned above to no benefit. Unrepairable I'm afraid so an insurance claim was all I could rely on - fortunately the lens (500mm f4) survived unscathed other than a small ding on the hideously expensive carbon lens hood, a ding I can live with! Hope your friends are a bit luckier than me - or well insured!

Comment

I have heard that in an emergency, dry uncooked rice can substitute for silica gel?
          Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

thanks folks. Nobody insures camera equipment in Sri Lanka, the premiums are too much. You can buy new equipment with the annual premium. Local agents have said it will have to be send to a regional repair center in Singapore. Looks like the lens will survive as there is no evidence of water in them, but the bodies looked dicey.

Must remember the dry uncooked rice trick. We were in a rice growing area when this happened.

Comment

In case anyone is interested in what happened. The equipment was send to Singapore Canon agents. The 500mm, 1.4X and 5D can be repaired and the cost is sin $ 4000, will be as good as new. The 400mm and the 1.4X cost of repair is Sin $ 2000. The Eos1 mark 4. will have to thrown away as it's not financially effective to repair it.

Comment

Ouch that is not good news, I hope the insurance covers the costs without hurting too much, thanks for the update

Comment

Ouch, that hurts and I believe you metioned that the cost of insurance was far too expensive to be viable.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

A few years ago I managed to drop my camera (not a Canon) in the River Thames. Saved the card OK but the camera would not work. I got in touch with my house contents insurer and they completed the claim form over the phone and the cheque was on my doormat the next morning. I am not a big insurance claimer and I think that helped.

Frederick

Comment

Working...
                    X