EF100mm Macro - Pin Sharp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EF100mm Macro - Pin Sharp??

Thanks, Graeme, for the "other end" picture.
    If you have any time to play around I would be interested to see what the sharp end looks like through you '65 - without any post-processing, cropping or sharpening.
    Like the sound of the "Compile" package - will investigate. Does it need a lot of extra time to process a stack?

ps - only getting a thumbnail of your needle eye and the site goes black and throws me out if I try to do anything with it.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Hi there

Feeling my way around the new software, I missed the method for embedding images! Anyway, here is a quick grab of the needle point at x5 with the MPE.
      It was done quickly and I am not at all confident that vibration was well controlled. And yes....it looks like I need to clean my sensor!

Graeme

Comment

Certainly shows the difference between the 100mm and the MP65!! Is the picture cropped at all or straight out of the camera, and what camera (as sensor size will have an effect)?
        Nice image - agree that vibration is a major problem in trying this, being surprised how much comes through what I considered to be a sturdy tripod, solid work surface, the need to breathe, press the shutter etc (tho' did use the timer).
        Wondered if I should work in a completley dark room (having focused), going to bulb shutter setting and using flash or turning on a lowish powered light when all vibrations will have passed. Determined to improve on my first attempt....
        Any other 100mm (or equivalent) users game to give it a try?
        Cheers, Chris.
        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

No croping in that shot, its the full frame. All that I did was tweek the levels and add a tiny amount of USM. The camera is a 40D. The camera was on a sturdy tripod...but the tripod was on a wooden floor and the subject was on a window ledge. So I have to ask the entire household to freeze for the shot! I did use the ringflash to fill-in but that does not cancel the ambient light and any movement caught by that source. I didnt think to go fully manual and let the ringflash take over completely, that should kill some of the vibration, but you do get the black backround.

Graeme

Comment

that MPE-65 is astonishing!

I've always wanted one, but never got around to buying one.

It opens up a whole new world of photography, especially with insects.

Comment

Just tried it. that's the first time I've had to use a tripod for macro.
              Cant get the lighting right.
              Not an easy challenge.
              David

http://hotkeezphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

The best I could do

Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
                Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/160
                Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
                Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
                ISO Speed 1600
                Lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
                Focal Length 55.0 mm
                Last edited by hotkeez; 22-09-2009, 22:27.
                David

Comment

In fairness you've not made it easy on yourself to shoot a reflective object on a white background. Try a different back ground.

I've found correct lighting is critical with macro photography.

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
                    It was done quickly and I am not at all confident that vibration was well controlled. And yes....it looks like I need to clean my sensor!

Graeme
                    I haven't found a lens better than the MP-E for showing up sensor dust.
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Chris J View Post
                      Any suggestions, or, better still, can anyone else have a go and get a sharper pin image?
                      I'll do one tomorrow and post. Too late now. Your does look pretty sharp.

Comment

Tried different lighting, ring flash from behind screen.
                        couldn't improve the sharpness though.

David

Comment

My pin was 35mm in length.

This first one was taken in natural window light. Self-timer, tripod, Sigma 105mm macro, 31mm ext tube. F5.6 5secs

And this was done with Sigma ring-flash, fired off camera from the side (too much reflection head-on). f29 and 1/250s. No ext tubes.

And a 150% blowup detail from the second one. Trouble with pins is they are nowhere near as perfect as you think they might be. Lots of imperfections in the metal.

Last edited by carregwen; 09-10-2009, 17:32.

Comment

Thanks for trying, Rob.
                            Like your first shot, but perhaps the "blow-up" does make the point (no pun intended, or pin untended) that pins aren't all that sharp...

However, I was expecting you to post an image of a pin emerging from a stream of water falling on to a CD resting on black perspex on a beach in a glorious sunset.... Next time, eh?

Can anyone else better anything so far?

And, if anyone yet owns the new 100mm L macro could you give it a try and post that lens's image?

Cheers, Chris.
                            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

350D, EF-S 60mm macro + 250D diopter filter, f11, 1/200, bounced flash. This is approx. the end cm of the pin.

I found the pin in my sewing box. Every man should have a sewing box

Regards,

Stuart
                              Comment and Criticism welcome.
                              Edits OK as long as they're not B&W conversions.

Comment

Nice one, Stuart.
                                Looks like the winner so far......
                                I started this thread in terms of the 100mm EF Macro - how does your set-up of a different macro + a close-up "filter" equate to 100mm, do you know?
                                Any sharpening or cropping?
                                Cheers, Chris.
                                Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
                                X