Tripod Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripod Choice

Deciding on a tripod is proving to be just as hard as choosing a camera.

So looking for some views.

OK some criteria:

Weight - as I'll be taking with me when doing some walking, attached to backback. I'm looking for something not too heavy <2Kg?

Carbon fibre - whilst this might be desirable for weight reasons the cost looks a bit too high for me at the moment.

Have seen Manfrotto 190XPROB with Manfrotto 496RC2 which can be had for about £140 and weighs 1.8Kg

Any recommandations/comments would be appreciated.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Re: Tripod Choice

Manfrotto usually have a campaign before Christmas with some very good deals ... so keep an eye for that. I bought mine some years during a Christmas campaign.

The 055's are good. Head choice will depend upon what you are planning on doing.

For walking a Monopod may be a better bet or even a Leki Seirra walking pole (which becomes a monopod) or just one of these http://www.thepod.ca/. I soon got fed up with a tripod/monopod attached to my backpack.

Comment

Currently have monopod but as I want to do some landscape photography thinking tripod a better idea.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

I have a Monfrotto tripod and mono pod, the mono pod is worth its weight in gold, take it anywhere and clips to the side of my sling bag..
        My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
        © JH Foto
        The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Suppose its a tricky decision as I suspect for vast amount of time the monopod would be fine. Just keep thinking about long exposure stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
            Suppose its a tricky decision as I suspect for vast amount of time the monopod would be fine. Just keep thinking about long exposure stuff.
            I use a Pod ... find somewhere solid to place the camera on its Pod and away you go. I do from time to time see people lugging tripods ... although it's usually people with 5x4 camera (or bigger) and the assistant (trainee) carrying the tripod.

Comment

OK sounds like try mono for a while.

Many thanks for everyones time and comments.

Comment

I have a Slik 500DX for when a really sturdy tripod is required, but I wouldn't consider carrying it around with me, as its quite heavy.

For a lightweight compact portable carry tripod, I have a Cullman Nanomax 200T, which is perfect for the job, as long as you understand its limitations. That is its not full-height, and I would not leave it un-attended in strong winds, with a heavy DSLR on top.

I also have a Slik Monopod 300, which is fine for many situations, and easy to carry around.

There are some 'cheapo' tripods about, but its very much a case of "you get what you pay for", and there also some very expensive tripods, which are probably 'overkill' for most amateur photographers, unless you are one of these people for whom cost isn't an issue, and like to display that you have "the very best" (read most expensive).

Dave
                Dave

Comment

I have an older Slik tripod that is very rigid but not suitable for carrying round.

Re the Cullman I can see the limitations when in use, low weight/size, but might be suitable for carrying round. Shall keep note of this for the future.

Pricing/quality of tripods is vast but certainly some of the higher end/costlier ones are defo an 'overkill' for most people.

Thanks for your thoughts Dave.

Comment

Might be worth checking out Red Snapper. I have just got one from them, nice quality and very good service, even when I made a horlicks of the order.
                    Last edited by Oggie; 27-09-2012, 21:23.
                    Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Interesting my bother in law mentioned them as well. Will take a look, thanks for suggestion.

Comment

Hi

Another vote for a Red Snapper tripod - had mine nearly 2 years and it's done me proud. I bought a 3 section tripod with a 3-way head plus a 3 section monopod with ball head plus a carry bag with comfy shoulder strap for around £100, and both are very sturdy, easy to use etc. Absolute bargain. I also contacted them to ask whether I could purchase another plate to connect to my camera, and they are more than happy to oblige - excellent service.

True, it's not the lightest, but I've carried the tripod on day's out shooting with no complaints. The tripod has all I need, bag hook, rubber feet that screw up to expose metal points. It also came with a shorter central support column, although I've never used it. The column can be removed and inserted upside down, to get the camera at ground level.

I'd considered getting something lighter, but have never actually felt the need!

Hope that helps, Mike.

P.S. I am not affiliated with Red Snapper at all, just like what I got, for the price I got it!
                        flickr
                        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Hama produce some fairly light ones, mine is aluminium tubular legs, full hight, weighs 1Kg. Can be picked up in many places not always with the Hama name but definitely the same product "Traveler" for only about £20.

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post

Any recommandations/comments would be appreciated.
                            WHen I was looking I found that Giottos were competitive with Manfrotto on price and spec. I have both tripod and monopod and can't fault them.

Martin

Comment

Working...
                            X