Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the end of DLSR's Coming?

Don't Buy A DSLR

So do you agree, not agree? What are your thoughts?

Tom

Re: Is the end of DLSR's Coming?

Is the end of DLSR's Coming?
    God! I do hope so. My bank balance can't take much more of this.

My Samsung Galaxy Smartphone takes nice images..

Kennet Avon canal by rob ashcroft @ www.macromeister.co.uk, on Flickr
    Last edited by Macro Meister; 28-09-2012, 13:16.

Comment

For a great number of people I guess a 'phone that takes photos, does some image tinkering, syncs with 'The Cloud', accesses the internet, does SMS/MMS and that rarely used feature ... make a voice call will fulfill their needs. For others a small P&S will do. But for us "boys whot like toys" we need DSLRs with lots of dials and controls and stuff. My hemorrhoidic based smartphone could never compete.

What I find strange is people with tablets taking photos ... doesn't seen natural to me ... but then I'm a Boring Old F***.

Comment

So they are slow, have very poor low light capabilityand may fit into your pocket depending on which of the lenses you have fitted? Don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.

An interesting opinion from someone who doesn't appear to be a particularly serious photographer and I can appreciate it may suit his needs, but to announce the impending doom of the DSLR on the strength of it is a rather bold opinion. One of the main advantages of a DSLR is that you see through the viewfinder, therefore exactly what the lens sees. Yes, you could say that the rear screen overcomes this with some form of live view, but try that with a 70 - 200mm zoom attached, or even worse, a 500mm prime. And that DSLR learning process and all those buttons? That's where we learn to become photographers, rather than picture takers. We all start on the green square and as our knowledge and skils improve and we start to take control, we need most of those buttons. Very good luck to him if he is content with grey snow etc.

There are times when a camera phone is good enough and other times when a point and shoot will do, but a DSLR will always get the job done .......... assuming the "picture taker" knows which buttons to press.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          There are times when a camera phone is good enough and other times when a point and shoot will do, but a DSLR will always get the job done

Colin
          Colin

But what exactly is 'the job'?

You came pretty close there to the subject of why people who don't really need expensive DSLRs, actually have them. Professional high-end cameras do a great job for applications that need it - producing some art work for M&S to be used in a national advertising campaign, the royal photographer doing portraits of the Queen, magazine advertising images, high fee private portraits, corporate work, professional wedding togs. They all need the best gear to get the quality, and sometimes to get the print size.

But where does that leave everyone else? Club photographers, internet forum posters, family snappers, people who do the odd wedding? Do they really need a quality DSLR? Maybe a cheaper four-thirds camera - I have a Panasonic G3 (£300 body) and the quality of images is not too far off my 5DMk2. Smartphones are getting better all the time.

The big camera manufacturers seem to keep the distinction between those two groups at a low level - for good reason. They make a lot of money selling expensive gear to photographers who could get pretty much the same results for their intended 'job' with much simpler, and cheaper gear. Another factor is that manufacturers of non-DSLR options have a really exciting opportunity to steal some of that business from the big boys like Nikon and Canon.
          Last edited by Macro Meister; 28-09-2012, 07:43.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
            Don't Buy A DSLR

So do you agree, not agree? What are your thoughts?

Tom
            Thats a very interesting article Tom.......
            My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
            © JH Foto
            The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
              What I find strange is people with tablets taking photos ... doesn't seen natural to me .
              I see someone with a DSLR or a P&S and I will stop or step to one side so they can take the pic, but someone with a tablet/ipad is kindof weird and I ignore them and walk straight by them (not intentionally).

Is the end of DLSR's Coming? not yet is my answer.
              With things getting smaller and better I can imagine a shrunk (50% smaller) 500mm lens on a smaller DSLR housed with a physically smaller but superior sensor. Imagine a machine that could shrink things by 50% but keeping the aspect ratio (thinking "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" type of thing) then the camera and lens will still produce the same images but will be 50% the size and only 25% of the weight. Although a machine of this type is science fiction the principles of manufacture are a possibilty, just make everything exactly the same but smaller.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Do you prefer this...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/m...GT-I9300MBDBTU

Or perhaps this?

Cameras will go the same way.

Comment

He He what a great video.... I had one of those "bricks" in my car with the little "pig tail" aerial on the back window plus a microphone stuck on the steering column. Thought I was "king of the hill"....

David
                  David

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post

What I find strange is people with tablets taking photos ... doesn't seen natural to me ... but then I'm a Boring Old F***.
                    That do that over there as well? When I see that, I have to laugh cause it looks so funny. Now back to the article. I think his point is the there will be a death to the consumer DLSR. With the cameras in smart phones getting better and better (HDR, Panoramic & GPS capabilities, the ease of editing after taking (SmartSeed, etc) on the phone, then posting them to your favorite social media) are not only signaling the end to a consumer DLSR but also the Point & Shot Cameras. Why do you think Canon added Wifi and GPS to their new 6D? Why are all camera makers now adding this feature to their P&S cameras? Because they know the average consumer wants to instantly share their pictures with others. So I don't think the DLSR will die for the serious amateur or pro photographer, I do see it and the P&S die out in the average consumer market.

Tom

Comment

It all assumes that we Tweet and Facebook (I don't, happen I'm in a minority) or Blog or tell everyone what I do on a daily basis (as if anyone would be interested what I do ).

I only see the midmarket P&S vanishing ... as cheap as chips (capable ones) P&S's flood the market as well as folk using smart and not-so-smart 'phones, tablets, etc to take a snap. Geotagging is seen as essential in the social networking arena ... so people know where you where when you were doing whatever it was you were doing ... me I like the idea of inbuilt GPS as it save me the effort of using EXIFTool ... but I could live without geotagging. WiFi ... well that's a precursor to pervasive computing (follow-me, cloud, et seq). But there will always be a need for quality (ask that BMW, Audi, Jaguar, ..... owner) to satisfy demand. In the long game who knows what might happen ... humans fitted with a in-built that chip that captures your every move!

I never see anything as pointless ... just that I don't need it ... Facebook/Twitter etc

Comment

No matter how small or smart phones and p&s cameras become can you imagine the bride & brooms face when the official photog turns up with an iPhone/pad let alone as micro Meister suggests the ad manager for M&S. I enjoy the whole concept of DSLRs and long may they reign.
                        Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by deefadog View Post
                          as micro Meister suggests the ad manager for M&S. I enjoy the whole concept of DSLRs and long may they reign.
                          Cheek! It's Macro, not Micro. I'm BIG, not SMALL

Comment

Interesting topic Tom well done for starting it.

I take the opposite view to the Blogger.

Cheap P+Ss and phones aren’t, imho a threat to DSLRs. I think they actually fuel the demand/lust for DSLRs.

Imho more and more people will buy a DSLR purely on the basis that “you can take much better pics with a bigger, more expensive camera“. Being totally honest, I used to think that myself not too many years ago.

Many ex point and shooters and phone photographers want/demand all the same features and connectivity on their new DSLR as they have on their phones and P+Ss. When you think about it, why shouldn’t they ?

Canon and Nikon are falling over themselves to satisfy these demands, that seems logical to me.

I welcome all the new features, and love the fact that so many people are getting into photography - exciting times ahead.

Not the end of DSLRs in the short term, and if something replaces a dslr with no compromise.
                            I’ll just buy the mid-range version of whatever that is. : -)

Trev

Comment

My two penny worth! P&S cameras and camera phones have been with us for some time & no one has thought of ditching the DSLR's. The present day G series canon compacts are a brilliant innovation (I have one, an older model) but this has not stopped consumers buying DSLR's.Most serious amateurs (I will include myself there) often take a P&S along with their DSLR's when going out on a serious photoshoot.

I therefore welcome the new innovative camera and even though I might buy one, if the price was right, it would only replace my present P&S camera but not my DSLR's.

Therefore to forecast the demise of the DSLR is pre-mature.

Congrats Tom for starting this serious discussion and I hope Canon will take notice of all the comments made to date.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X