Decisions, decisions...which shall it be - 9000 or a 9500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions, decisions...which shall it be - 9000 or a 9500

I see that there is a Canon cashback until the end of the month on both the 9000 & the 9500, and I have obtained approval-in-principle for the procurement of an A3 printer...... so I'm sorely temped by one or the other.

I read that they are both jolly fine and that:

the 9000 excels at colour - it also shares the same ink cartridges (mostly) with my MP970.

the 9500 is more muted colour but excels at B+W - and it uses pigment inks which have a longer fade time.

As I rarely print B+W, my leaning is towards the 9000, but I've an open mind.

So ladies & gentlemen, your thoughts please.
    A1, Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm & 70-210mm (Exif data....what Exif data?)

Re: Decisions, decisions...which shall it be - 9000 or a 9500

Sorry can't help with either of those printers, I did have the Canon IX6550 A3 printer which was very good but then changed to an Epson as I could get a continuous ink flow system for that. What I can say is that I found the Canon dye ink to ve very vibrant and good.

Comment

Can't comment on the 9500 but I have owned the 9000 Mk II for over a year and the quality of images produced is exceptional. The pigment inks of the 9500 last longer, but the lifetime expected from the 9000's dye inks is also very long, so how long do you need. Beware the cost of ink as a full set of inks (8 cartridges) costs about £80 - £90. There are cheaper compatibles but it's best to stick with Canon inks. I bought mine from WEX and they sent me an offer soon afterwards to buy a full ink set for £50 - so I bought two sets.

Comment

I have owned the s9000 and found the prints to be very good with a really excellent depth to them. The drawback, there's always a drawback is that this range seems to be very prone to blockages in the print head. There are many hints, tips and whatever on the net to get around this but in the end it will drive you insane. Every time you do a head clean with a canon printer you can wave goodbye to about £10. Mine is now on the big scrapheap in the sky and I have been committed to an institution where they wear white coats.
        Best of luck.
        Cheers
        Treff

Comment

I bought a 9000MarkII a few years ago ... it was on offer at my Pro Dealer and came with a cashback (£100 I think) so I purchased one. I use it a lot to print A3 Ordnance Survey maps but also photographs. It is connected to a print server (that is part of a NAS) so it is networked.

As it seems to use ink each time it is switched on ... I tend to do a batch of printing. I shop around for genuine Canon cartridges otherwise it would be expensive to run.

Comment

I'm continuing to lean towards the 9000. It has the advantage that it is 100 quid or so cheaper than the 9500 and uses most of the same ink cartridges as our existing "workhorse" multifunctional MP970 (which I intend to keep in use for everyday stuff). I tend to keep a full set of spares anyway (7, for the MP970), replacing them as I fit new a new one; in fact, I'd only need a -8R & -8G to have a full set to cover both printers.

As I can only buy one or the other, I'm keen to make sure I don't "miss a trick" by not going for the pigment inks. I think I'll give my local J*****s a ring and see if they have sample prints from both units.

Biggest problem is finding space for it in the study; it's already chock full of computer, printers, CDs, DVDs and camera stuff. SWMBO says I have to make some space in it before I buy more "toys".......so it looks like it's curtains for the old HP A3 Deskjet!

Comment

So in the end, came to a decision and there is now a 9500 box parked in the hall (coz it won't fit in the study!), waiting for the weekend....

.....having spent this evening trying to discover why the washing machine is flooding the kitchen......(Bosch Repair Man having failed to do so!).

.............and fixing the loo in the cloakroom.
              Last edited by ChristopherM; 30-10-2012, 22:58.

Comment

Am looking to buy an A3 printer myself, does anyone know roughly how many a3 prints you would get from a set of inks?
                JASON

Comment

Working...
                X