Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Castles in North Wales- within 15 miles of St. Asaph!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castles in North Wales- within 15 miles of St. Asaph!

Canon 5D MK2 + 17mm-35mm F2.8L

All castles are closed to the public from Oct to March

(i) Rhuddlan Castle

(a) Castle moat and bridge- Rhuddlan

(b)

(iii) Boddelwyddan Castle

(a)

(b)
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 08-11-2012, 10:23.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Castles in North Wales- within 15 miles of St. Asaph!

I am viewing on my work monitor, so i may not be right but I think you need to work on your exposures for most of them - the foregrounds are either too dark or the skys lacking detail. The only one that looks close is the first but that probably has too much sky

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan for taking a look. Just thought I might mention that these posts have a bit of "posting" problem. The computer image appears fine and sharp- courtesy of another member who has given me his e-mail address & to whom I attached the pics. That being said, the dark patches are exactly as it appears- the shadows as the day was one with changing light- good sunlight one instance and dark clouds the next. So I thought I'd try out my new 5D MK2 in variable light. Also some,taken against the light.

I will anyway keep an eye on the points you have raised.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I knew i shouldn't have commented from work !!! - looking on a proper monitor at home the foregrounds now look fine but the skys in most are def blown - you need to invest in some ND grad filters

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          I knew i shouldn't have commented from work !!! - looking on a proper monitor at home the foregrounds now look fine but the skys in most are def blown - you need to invest in some ND grad filters

Stan
          Not to worry Stan. I am most grateful for your comments. Yes, I know I have messed about the sky in PSE. I did have difficulty between the dark shadow areas and the light. Yes, I will get get some ND filters.

Comment

Hi Nat, As Stan siad, the sky is mostly blown out, mostly caused by all the white clouds. When you don't had a ND grad filter, and skys are either overcast or all blue, then keep the sky to less then 1/3 of the image. However if you have the nice white puffy, or those ominous gray clouds then, IMO, it is OK to have 2/3's of the sky in the image as you have in image 1, which I like. As for the Bridge image, that would be a nice candidate for BW as there is nothing of interest in the sky. Before converting I would crop out some of the sky.

Tom

Comment

ND Grads will improve things a lot.
              For me (given the exposure issues) shot #4 is somewhere near right !

Comment

Many thanks Tom and Fadeoblack. I am not into landscapes but thought I'd try out my 5D MK2 with my 17-35mm lens. I think I made a mess of the images on PSE due to the problems with the sky and also the changing light. Thanks for the tip. Hope I will not repeat the same errors again.

Nat

Comment

Are these any better in B & W? My first attempts as well!

(a)

(b) Conwy castle.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 09-11-2012, 13:36.

Comment

Hi Nathaniel,

Not a bad set, but I agree with some of the other comments - try having a play around with the shadow/highlight settings. I think you should be able to get quite a bit back. As for the last picture (in the first set), which I like, I would crop a large section of the left and foreground out. Concentrate on the tree in the middle and castle on the right.

TTFN,
                    Neil
                    Neilly's Flickr Page
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                    Facebook
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Not too bad on your 1st BW try. My suggestion is that you crop out more of the sky for the bridge.

Tom

Comment

Hi Nathanel. Likable shots, I like first and last. I recently bought a grads set for the very reason of blown sky's etc. Everyone will tell you that 'Lees's are the best, which they are, but Cokin are relatively cheap to experiment with and both are cheaper if bought in sets.
                        I hope you dont mind me making this suggestion having just gone down this road myself. I also found that most shops has oppossed to the internet will exchange the standard holder(three filters) for a a wide angle version(single filter) if required!

I notice the 5D when did you change or have you still got the other two camera's?
                        Alun

Comment

Thanks Alun. Yes, I agree with you and the others. I will go down that route. I bought the 5d MK2 about 2 months ago and sold my 600d. I still have my 60D. I thought I wasn't doing full justice to my L lenses with a crop camera. I have no regrets in getting a full frame.

Nat

Comment

Working...
                          X