Eye-Fi Cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye-Fi Cards?

Just wondring if anyone has ever used one of these?

http://www.eye.fi/

Shame they don't do a CF version although it seems there a few SD -> CF converters out there (anyone have any experiences of these as well?)
    Cliff Hobbs
    Wannabe Architectural Photographer - Always willing to listen and learn

Re: Eye-Fi Cards?

No experience with the eyefi cards but I do have an SD to CF adapter and it works fine with my 2gig SD cards in both my old 20D and my current 40D. I haven't tried an SDHC card as I don't have any.
    --
    Colin
    http://fotos-espana.com
    http://macameraclub.com
    http://turnspain.com

Comment

Very interesting thanks for sharing.

Apparently these cards support FTP

When they make these for the CF card format, why would you buy something like a WFT-E4 at £700 Quid + ?

Millie

Comment

EXACTLY Millie.

I'm kind of tempted to get one and just try it. Thing is to get RAW you need the Pro version which is $149 plus they don't guarantee that even if you stick one in an adpater it would work.

Hhhhm wonder if Jessops sell them and the adapters as that would be one way to find out...
        Cliff Hobbs

Comment

Cliff I suspect they'll be reverse engineering these in China as we speak :-)
          I'm going to watch developments very closely.

Please let us know how you get on if you try any of these. Have you had a look at their forum ?

Millie

Comment

I hope so Millie.

Jessops DON''T sell them unfortunately and at £120 + the card converter it's a bit too steep of a gamble for me in case this doesn't work :-(

I LOVE the geotagging feature as well which would be a real benefit for me, oh well fingers crossed the CF version isn't too far away as I know LOTS of people have asked for it.
            Cliff Hobbs

Comment

I've just brought the 2gb Eye-fi card (wanted the sd not sdhc version for my 1dmk11n). Only tested it so not used in anger.

Took 5 minutes to set-up but have heard of others having problems. In my house it works from upstairs about 30/35ft through ceiling and a wall. 3 meg file 12 secs, 2 meg 10secs and then I fired off 14 shots (2mb each) , first one took 30 secs to show then they followed every about 6 to 7 secs, all 14 took 100secs from first firing first shot to all download. Excellent, very pleased.

I've purchased a CF/SDHC adapter to use with my 40D but not tried it yet. Everybody I've heard of using the adapter have had to take of the metal side of the adapter to get any reasonable range, definitely less range with an adapter.
              Duncan Harris
              Event-Pictures

Comment

Hi Duncan,

so does that support RAW then as looking at their site it says you need the Pro version for RAW?

I'd be VERY interested to know how you get on with the CF adapter (would you mind telling me where you got the adpater from, model number, etc?)
                Cliff Hobbs

Comment

Hi Duncan,
                  What I’m after is a wifi version of tethered shooting rather than having to stop and send the pictures.
                  Is this possible with the eye fi card. ?

Cliff, there is a cheap but effective software solution for geotagging. It involves viewing raw or jpegs and just clicking on the location on a google map, it then it add the co ordinates with one click - I forget the name of the program.

Millie

Comment

Thanks Millie - I'm aware of such solutions but it's time, effort and hassle - I like an easy life ;-)

What I'm HOPING is that I can take my netbook/ laptop with me and then shoot and see the pics on my laptop immediately to see IWIGWIW (or in English Is What I've Got What I Want?), as peering at the screen on the back of the camera doesn't always show me everything and it's only when you view them on a bigger screen I sometimes get the "Doh!" moment.
                    Cliff Hobbs

Comment

Cliff
                      I believe only the Pro version does Raw- www.eye.fi/products/compare-cards

Got the adapter off ebay, someone else recommended it but I haven't tried it yet (probably will test it today or tomorrow) and will post the results. - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Millie
                      "wifi version of tethered shooting" that's what I'm looking at it for - shooting on a portable studio and automatically downloading to computer for viewing/selling whilst I carry on shooting. If you are looking for any real range then you need canon/nikon own one but as I'm probably changing cameras soon and canon are camera specific I thought I'd give the eye-fi a go.

If you are out of range when come into range the eye-fi will then start downloading. My understanding is it doesn't like the camera going into sleep mode but neither does my software when shooting tethered.
                      Duncan Harris
                      Event-Pictures

Comment

I'm aware of such solutions but it's time, effort and hassle - I like an easy life ;-)
                        Amen to that. :-)
                        My phone camera does this, without having to mess about with sotware etc.

I don’t know the technicalities or terms involved here but I can see the commercial/fun applications of “wifi tethered shooting”.

as peering at the screen on the back of the camera doesn't always show me everything and it's only when you view them on a bigger screen I sometimes get the "Doh!" moment.
                        I think we’ve all been there, thinking shots were “in the bag”, only to be horrified/less than happy with the results on the PC

I think Manfrotto do nice rugged stands for laptops/netbooks. Indoors you could just use the “usb tethered thing” or whip the card out, and sick it in your netbbook or use liveview ?

Millie

Comment

"wifi version of tethered shooting" that's what I'm looking at it for - shooting on a portable studio and automatically downloading to computer for viewing/selling whilst I carry on shooting. If you are looking for any real range then you need canon/nikon own one but as I'm probably changing cameras soon and canon are camera specific I thought I'd give the eye-fi a go.
                          Thanks for that Duncan, I posted while you were posting, in addtion to sending the pics to your processor/ printer. I like the idea of showing the pics on big screens near realtime at indoor venues still having the freedom to move around.

Millie

Comment

I don't like cables - too easy for me and other to fall over. It's bad enough sometimes stopping people falling over your tripod let alone adding that headache as well ;-)

I'm also thinking that it might keep my wife interested i.e. I shoot and she can be holding the laptop and see what I'm doing and give me the thumbs up/ down rather than sitting there wondering how much longer I'm going to be (bless her she has the patience of a Saint not like me LOL).

Duncan - Would LOVE to hear you get on and many thanks for the link.
                            Cliff Hobbs

Comment

Working...
                            X