Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: % of images you sharpen?

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
    That raises an interesting question. Do you need strong computer skills to be a good photographer today, or is being able to 'see' and capture an image more important?
    Good question. See it as two different skills.

I know at least one guy who never took any real photos (I'm talking beyond point and shoot), wouldn't know anything about DOF or virtually any other aspect of photography, but given someone else's images is a whiz at the computer improving the photo.

Comment

In every facet of life, there are those that excel. In photography there are naturals that have an eye for a picture; they "see" what others would miss. They know what they want from a shot and it is already pictured in their mind before they lift the camera to shoot. That point of view, lighting, lens choice, pro-active thought process comes naturally, tempered by previous experience. Seldom satisfied, they will always examine every shot and determine how to improve it next time. They understand their kit and strive to get the very best out of it and will always learn from their mistakes.

The technical side can be taught to even the meanest of intelligences (given enough repitition) but the ability to "see" is what defines a photographer.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post

If you’re worried about degradation caused by compression.
        I don't compress at all when I save.

Comment

Pretty simple really - every one.

Comment

Because i shoot in RAW i have always to sharpen my photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire EOS user View Post
              Some interesting comments on this thread. If you want as good a picture as you can get, you need to get the basics right in camera - you can't make a bad picture good on the computer, but with care you can make a nearly-good picture considerably better. The key is not to over-adjust in computer - if you can see modifications it's too much. As said earlier, there is a thin line between improving an image and treating it as art. If you can't be bothered to work an image on the computer and if you want a good image, you need to get the settings right in camera, such as white balance, exposure, etc, at the time of shooting.
              Totally agree!- You see, I can't even quote stuff properly!
              I can take photos and love capturing images but computer skills-**@@**@@!!

Comment

I don't like (hate, even) HDR, or should I say OBVIOUS HDR images but can see the advantages, sometimes, when it is difficult to get the exposure correct. I envy those who can do it.
                Don't know what a TIFF is! (Don't want an explanation-it'll go right over my head.)
                It all seems so easy now for those who can manipulate images, but how many of those used to have a darkroom?- Some of you will have, I suppose; but far fewer than have computers now.

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
                  I don't like (hate, even) HDR, or should I say OBVIOUS HDR images but can see the advantages, sometimes, when it is difficult to get the exposure correct. I envy those who can do it.
                  Don't know what a TIFF is! (Don't want an explanation-it'll go right over my head.)
                  It all seems so easy now for those who can manipulate images, but how many of those used to have a darkroom?- Some of you will have, I suppose; but far fewer than have computers now.
                  I LOVE HDR, i have many HDR even fake or overdone but really interesting, i can do more naturally look HDR but then i don't need HDR, i really like to have HDR realistic effect so it can be called HDR more than corrected or blended shots for exposure but not HDR effect.

Comment

100% of the images I want to use.
                    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I sharpen all of mine, but that's because I've not set the 'scene mode 'up.

If you set a custom scene mode with the sharpening, saturation, contrast etc to your liking then there is no need for further processing ....is there? This is true if you shoot RAW or JPEGS.

Isn't that what the pre-set landscape, portrait scene modes do? I'm talking scene modes here not shooting dial modes.

I only convert to JPEG when sending the file to someone else - or I need to use Paint Shop Pro.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                      X