Challenge 60: Yuletide Wildlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 60: Yuletide Wildlife

OK, the theme for Challenge 60 is 'Yuletide Wildlife'.

I think that there are a number of ways of interpreting the theme; it could be wildlife associated with Yuletide, it could be any wildlife in a Yuletide context, it may even be some pretty wild human life (there's a lot of that this time of year...). And hopefully you'll have yet more takes on it.

Please could I encourage everyone to enter. I have noticed a steady stream of newbies introducing themselves; it would be great if every single one of you entered. I only joined very recently, entered one Challenge and won it, so there's no reason you couldn't do the same. And what have you lost by entering? Nothing. You may well be pleasantly surprised when people say nice things about your work (I know I was). For my part, I promise to be honest in my assessment of your photo and will provide any feedback in a positive and constructive manner. I'm actually expecting to learn a lot myself about taking pictures by having to critique yours.

So, particularly if you are one of those lucky enough to get the week off work between Christmas and New Year, and/or you've got a new bit of kit to play with, there should be plenty of opportunities in this time of festivities and fun.

Have a great Christmas and New Year, one and all.

I have to say that I'm no great technician, so I will be judging based on the following criteria:
    1. Composition. Does the picture sit well in the frame, is it well conceived and constructed?
    2. Impact. Does the picture stand out from the others, will I still remember it next week? I have seen a lot of technically complex shots that are actually a bit meh.
    3. The theme. Does the picture meet the theme, possibly in an innovative way?

The standard competition rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • The period of the competition shall be 14 days: from Monday 24 December 2012 to Sunday 6 January 2013 (inclusive).
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a brief description, and title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • The guest ‘judge’ will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM them to discuss their choices).
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Challenge 60: Yuletide Wildlife

A bear of a hangover.

Camera Canon EOS 500D
    Exposure 0.02 sec (1/50)
    Aperture f/2.5
    Focal Length 50 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Flash On, Fired
    Hand held.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

OK everyone, I know you are all enthralled by the End Of Year Showcase, but don't forget that Challenge 60 ends on Sunday night. I haven't been panicking at the lack of entries because I know there's usually a rush over the final weekend, but once you've judged the Showcase don't forget to use the weekend to get out and get your pic of a robin in. Or a fox nibbling on some left-over Christmas Pud. Or something...
      Di's entry is damned cute, but can you do better?
      Cheers,
      Alex
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

OK, it's getting a bit close to the wire now. I see that the thread has been viewed 191 times, but still only one entry. Very disappointing.
        I know that DeeGee wouldn't want to just win by default, so let's have a bit of competition please. Surely lots of you will have snapped something suitable over the Christmas period?
        Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Errrr - not really got anything festive but can't leave you with just the one entry so how about. . . .

"Bottoms up"

Taken on 30-12-12
          1Dmk4 - 300mm 2.8mkii
          1/800
          f/2.8
          iso 125

Sorry I don't have anything else (don't 'do' the christmassy. . . . stuff)

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Hey David,
            Thanks for trying. Made me laugh out loud.
            Any last entries so we can at least have a top 3? C'mon, you know you want to...
            Canon EOS 7D

Comment

OK this is not wildlife as such, but sure a cuddly furry one. Might not be what you expected, but that is all I had for Yuletime in the given timeframe. Perhaps and ahhh and how sweet comment would do LOL.
              hudson bear.jpg
              Captured on 1/1/2013
              Canon 5DMIII 40mm Lens.
              Focal Length 40mm
              ISO 800
              Fstop F5.0
              1/125s

Comment

A donkey at Petra, Christmasy enough for the challenge?

Captured on 29/12/12.
                Canon 1D Mk IV and Canon 70-200mm lens
                1/5000th at F2.8

Keith

Comment

Has a winner been chosen yet?
                  Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                  http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                  https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Hi all. Sorry, I've been a bit tied up all week, and haven't had the time to judge, but now here we go.
                    First of all, thanks for all the entries (albeit some of them a bit late!). Normally I'm an old stickler for rules, but in this case I'll judge them all the same, in order to make a competition of it. After all, it's just a bit of fun.
                    And you know what? I was expecting lots of pictures of robins in people's gardens - and not a single one. You just never can tell.
                    So, here we go, I said I would mark against 3 criteria, but please don't take any offence at some of my more light-hearted comments; I'd be pleased if I'd have taken any of them:

Dee Gee - A bear of a hangover
                    Composition: 7. Nicely balanced and well lit. I like the fact that you do need to stop and look for it to become fully apparent what is going on. Only slight criticism is I got distracted by the 'sparkle' on the table - couldn't work out what this was.
                    Impact: 9. Really memorable, with such a striking use of colours.
                    Theme: 8. Christmassy? Check. And there's an animal in there, albeit stuffed.
                    Total: 24

David Stallard - Bottoms up
                    Composition: 8. Depth of field is spot on and the detail of the droplets on the undercarriage is excellent.
                    Impact: 9. Made me laugh out loud when I first scrolled down to it.
                    Theme: 5. Hmmm, stretching a point maybe...
                    Total: 22

Perfectoarts - Hudson Bear
                    Composition: 8. Nicely set up, and I think the positioning of the tree in the background is just about perfect.
                    Impact: 7. Ahhh, how sweet
                    Theme: 8. Have to give the same score as for Dee Gee.
                    Total: 23

Captureasecond - Donkey at Petra
                    Composition: 9. Very well framed, and the colour and light captures the heat and dryness excellently.
                    Impact: 7. It does make you think that there must be a story to this old fella.
                    Theme: 7. Well, a donkey is Christmassy, but if only there'd have been a stable in the background...
                    Total: 23

And so the winner is Dee Gee. Well done, and I'm looking forward to the next Challenge and set of entries.
                    Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Oh wow and oh **** I got to think now for something.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Congratulations Di.

Tom

Comment

Congrats Di. See you next round :-)
                          Cheers Ingrid.

Comment

Yes, Well Done Di, good shot.

Regards Paul

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Looking forward to see what you come up with in Challenge 61.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X