Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

580ex ii and 7D

Hi Folks, Happy New Year.

...not sure if this is the correct forum section to post.

After reading manuals and watching youtube clips I cannot get my 580ex ii to fire via wireless trigger from the 7D (built-in) without also firing the pop-up flash.

I've got my setting on the camera to enabled, E-TTL and within the associated menu I have only the slave to fire. I have the 580 set up as slave and it fires fine. Starting to tear my hair out (what little I have left). I cannot see anyway of disabling the master (pop-up) within the menu.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently working nightshift so some 'research' will be done later as well.

Thanks, John

Re: 580ex ii and 7D

I personally don't have the 7D but it is my beliefe that to use the 7D as a master to other flashes you do need to have the inbuilt flash firing as the trigger, I have been told that it can be set so that the actual output of the flash power is very low and not enough to impact on an image.

Hopefully one of the 7D owners will be able to provide more info.

Comment

That's how I got it working (7D plus 580EX) ... I never investigated if the kit can use IR. But I am only an occasional flash user.

I found the following series of articles from Canon quite useful in providing a general background.

Canon DLC "Speedlite Tip Series":

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
        it is my beliefe that to use the 7D as a master to other flashes you do need to have the inbuilt flash firing as the trigger.
        That's correct. You can set it in the flash control on the camera so that only the external flash is used to light the scene, the onboard simply providing the signal, or you can set a ratio between the onboard and external flashes.
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Thanks folks I'll give that a go

Comment

Hi Folks, Happy New Year.
            Same to you !

It will fire no matter what you do, so don't worry, you haven't missed anything in the instructions. :-)
            Even if the power is low enough not to add much light to the exposure, it can still be a problem.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
              That's correct. You can set it in the flash control on the camera so that only the external flash is used to light the scene, the onboard simply providing the signal, or you can set a ratio between the onboard and external flashes.
              I think this is correct - it took me a day to suss it out -I asumed initially the beam to be some invisible IR whatnot....wrong!

Comment

I think this is correct - it took me a day to suss it out -I asumed initially the beam to be some invisible IR whatnot....wrong!
                It will fire no matter what you do, it can be a problem with flash reflections.
                One of the many advantages of off cam flash is reducing these unwanted reflections.
                The applicable rule is - the angle of reflection = the angle of incidence, it seems a shame to re-introduce a problem you set out to avoid.

Trev

Comment

I'll have a play tomorrow and see what actually happens.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Exactly what I'm finding. Even turned down it gives light that needs to be compensated for. Driving me slightly nuts to be honest. I have tried placing tape over the front but not ideal. Going to treat myself to YN622C's I think.

Why have the option to fire off camera and state in the manual and menu function that you can select remote trigger without oncamera pop flash, then fire the on camera bloody flash anyway. Must be a reason beyond my simple reckoning. The only thing that has been a negative for me on a superb camera is this issue.

Comment

What actually happens is not what I thought happened, and yes, it seems the onboard flash is always involved. I'm guessing it's a simple system whereby the infr-red sensor on the flash actually reacts to the onboard flash rather than a wireless signal?

Robert, this is a subject that would be good to cover in the magazine. Now that several cameras have this feature, how best to operate off-camera flash using the onboard settings.

Comment

It’s still a very handy feature, rather than try to block the built in flash completely, you can easily flag it 45 degrees off to one side or 45 degrees upwards.

With all off camera lighting you need to be prepared, if required to use on the hoof modifications and workarounds, you can view this as half the fun, or curse the imperfections of the technology.

Canon can say the built in flash output doesn’t affect the exposure, in many situations it’s more or less true.

Trev

Comment

If you disable the on-camera flash (the master flash) by using the Flash Control / Built In Flash / Master / Disable setting then the on-camera flash shouldn't affect the image at all.

The pre-flash, setting the exposure, will fire before the shutter opens and only the external 'guns flash will impact the scene (unless I'm missing something!)
                          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Best you give it a try Steve :-)

Trev
                            Last edited by Trevoreast; 07-01-2013, 13:22.

Comment

580ex ii and 7D

I have just tried it on my 60D, and can confirm that the built-in flash has absolutely no effect on the image!

I set wireless E-TTL mode with my EX600 as wireless slave, disabled the built-in flash so that it functioned as wireless master, I then used FEL to set the exposure and then flagged the EX600 so it's output wouldn't register in the image, exposed the frame, and the image was devoid of any flash light whatsoever.
                              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                              X