Where have all the ducks gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have all the ducks gone?

Despite the very dull misty conditions I went down to a local lake to do a rough count of the Winter wildfowl. I managed to see a good few Goldeneye, a pair of Red-crested Pochard and a drake Smew when all of a sudden everything, including several hundred geese, took off and disappeared into the mist, leaving an empty scene:

The cause soon became evident:

But I did manage to get a couple of shots of nature:

Brilliant Winter colours.

Canon 7D plus EF 40mm f2.8 STM pancake - brilliant little lens for around £120.

David
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Re: Where have all the ducks gone?

Serene, misty and subdued lovilness, until the canoeists turned up. Like the sense of space and recession of the subtle tones. Agree about the pancake 40.... loks like it does the job.

Roger
    Nostalgia is ok...not as good as it used to be though

Comment

Love the colours on the fallen / felled tree.

Paul

Comment

when all of a sudden everything, including several hundred geese, took off and disappeared into the mist, leaving an empty scene
        there is usually a raptor about when they do that - I am surprised everything reacted to a couple of canoes

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Yep normally a Peregrine causes panic - David, I am intrigued though. Where on earth is this if it has Goldeneye, Red Crested Pochard and a Smew?? tell me more.........

Comment

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
            Yep normally a Peregrine causes panic - David, I am intrigued though. Where on earth is this if it has Goldeneye, Red Crested Pochard and a Smew?? tell me more.........
            Some old gravel pits that are being landscaped and returned to nature, although still private land without an access agreement a lot of birders go there especially as it is an important Gull roost. They are in between Stapleford and Witham St. Hughs in West Lincolnshire, only the big lake is at present visible on Google maps, they are a bit out of date!

David
            PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Cheers David - nice selection to have in a local pond!

Comment

Atmospheric and looks cold.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X