Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom 4.....Is it worth it?

Hi All,

I would be interested in any comments from users of Lightroom 4, in particular if they have previous experience of Lightroom Version 3.6

Is it really worth the upgrade?

What are the differences which really improve upon the previous versions.

I have seen and read a few reviews but would prefer to hear from you Guys.

Regards Paul

Re: Lightroom 4.....Is it worth it?

I went From a version to to LR4 and found the first 2 releases very slow and not 100% reliable but having installed version 4.3 it seems to have fixed the issues I was experiencing so if you do go for LR4 then do upgrade to the latest release.

to try and answer your query, I find that the algorithms that they now use for the spot removal, sharpening and in particular the noise reduction are much better than the earlier release. The sliders I found to offer different and better editing options. Is is worth an upgrade from 3.6, that I can't answer but for me the upgrade fro 2.8 was well worth it.

Comment

Yes. It's smoother, slicker.. All the brushes have more options.. Also the latest noise reduction is brilliant.
      Elaine

1Ds mk III;
      24 - 105 f4 L is; 300 f4 L is
      580 EX; 580 EX II; ST-E2

My Flickr

My Blog

Comment

Lightroom 4.....Is it worth it?

Hi Paul,
        As more and more EOS camera bodies will be released with imbedded geotagging devices ( or you can buy the external GPS attachment to geotag some of the present EOS bodies) then LIght Room 4 map facility is very useful. Just load images as usual but then press the map tab at the top of the page and google earth zooms in on wherever the highlighted picture was taken. Great if you can never exactly recall which image was taken where etc !!
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mish21 View Post
          Yes. It's smoother, slicker.. All the brushes have more options.. Also the latest noise reduction is brilliant.
          +1 well worth the upgrade
          --
          Colin
          http://fotos-espana.com
          http://macameraclub.com
          http://turnspain.com

Comment

Thanks all for the answers to my question, it has certainly come down in price and reviews seem really positive, apart from the early moans about how slow it was for some, that however, hopefully, has been sorted now with 4.2.

Regards Paul

Comment

Paul, version 4.2 still has quite a few bugs in it, if you load 4.2 do get the online update to 4.3 as this is a much better version

Comment

Thanks Ian, it seems as if 4.2 is the only version available to buy at the moment and then have to download the update to 4.3 to get it all to work properly, it's a pity they didn't iron all the bugs out before release!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

When I bought Lightroom 4 I also bought Scott Kelby's book and found it really useful.
                  I found Lightroom 4 to be a huge leap forward, but I did come from Lightroom 1!

I agree about the bug thing.

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                    it seems as if 4.2 is the only version available to buy at the moment and then have to download the update to 4.3 to get it all to work properly
                    Paul - there's no need to buy 4.2, you can download 4.3 directly from the Adobe website and install it on a 30 day free trial. That should give you a good chance to try it out and decide if the upgrade is worth it for you. If you decide to buy you can apply a valid licence key to the trial version, no need to uninstall.

Do make sure you take a backup of your catalogue before installing the new version though!

Dan

Comment

Thanks Jeffo and Dan,
                      I am still thinking about this, couple of questions though, what happens to my catologue on the 3.6 version if I download 4.3? and how much will the license be, buying from Adobe under the circumstances you describe Dan, the reason I ask is a new Full version of 4.2 is available now on Ebay for £80 for use on two computers.

Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                        Thanks Jeffo and Dan,
                        I am still thinking about this, couple of questions though, what happens to my catologue on the 3.6 version if I download 4.3? and how much will the license be, buying from Adobe under the circumstances you describe Dan, the reason I ask is a new Full version of 4.2 is available now on Ebay for £80 for use on two computers.
                        Paul

When you install version 4 it takes a backup of your catalogue and then converts it for use with the new version, so you can go back to version 3.6 if you wish. I would still recommend that you take your own backup before you start the process though.

As far as pricing goes, if you have valid licence for version 3.6 then you are eligible for the upgrade price from Adobe, which is currently about £60. The licence says
                        Subject to the terms of the software license agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Lightroom is installed may install a second copy of the software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a home computer, provided that the software is not used on both computers at the same time.

So if that's what you mean by "use on two computers" it's a better deal than the e-bay option.

Hope that helps

Dan

Comment

For me LR3 was OK, but not terribly user friendly or intuitive for someone trying to work it out on their own. LR4.3 is fantastic. I wouldn't be without it.

Richard
                          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

LR4 is available on Amazon for £68
                            Bob Turner
                            Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Thanks Dan, Richard and Bob,

I have been using a Downloaded trial of 4.3 for the last week or so, buying the license would as Dan says give me the opportunity to load on to two computers, however I would still rather have something "Tangible" so I actually ordered one from Amazon yesterday, thanks to the "Heads up" from Andy.

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X