EOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightroom 4.....Is it worth it?

Default Re: Lightroom 4.....Is it worth it?

Thanks Jeffo and Dan,
    I am still thinking about this, couple of questions though, what happens to my catologue on the 3.6 version if I download 4.3? and how much will the license be, buying from Adobe under the circumstances you describe Dan, the reason I ask is a new Full version of 4.2 is available now on Ebay for 80 for use on two computers.

Regards Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pelliott1954 View Post
    Thanks Jeffo and Dan,
    I am still thinking about this, couple of questions though, what happens to my catologue on the 3.6 version if I download 4.3? and how much will the license be, buying from Adobe under the circumstances you describe Dan, the reason I ask is a new Full version of 4.2 is available now on Ebay for 80 for use on two computers.
    Paul

When you install version 4 it takes a backup of your catalogue and then converts it for use with the new version, so you can go back to version 3.6 if you wish. I would still recommend that you take your own backup before you start the process though.

As far as pricing goes, if you have valid licence for version 3.6 then you are eligible for the upgrade price from Adobe, which is currently about 60. The licence says

Subject to the terms of the software license agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Lightroom is installed may install a second copy of the software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a home computer, provided that the software is not used on both computers at the same time.

So if that's what you mean by "use on two computers" it's a better deal than the e-bay option.

Hope that helps

Dan

For me LR3 was OK, but not terribly user friendly or intuitive for someone trying to work it out on their own. LR4.3 is fantastic. I wouldn't be without it.

Richard

LR4 is available on Amazon for 68
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Thanks Dan, Richard and Bob,

I have been using a Downloaded trial of 4.3 for the last week or so, buying the license would as Dan says give me the opportunity to load on to two computers, however I would still rather have something "Tangible" so I actually ordered one from Amazon yesterday, thanks to the "Heads up" from Andy.

Regards Paul

My feeling about LR4 is that if you are a straightforward photographer and are reasonably competent, then this program is nearly all you need. I never want to manipulate my images and instead use the software to correct things that the camera couldn't achieve or to make up for my lack of ability. The library is perfect for my needs and the develop module is so easy to use. The best part of LR4 is that everything is on the same page, nothing is hidden under menus or behind strange looking icons.
    I occasionally use Elements 9 to combine photos, or for Panos. My pleasure is hunting. Hunting for the right subject, the right location. I take no pleasure in hours of PP and LR is the way for me. Regards Sooty

Currently running LR4.4(RC). I've used Lightroom since version 2. Each update has added a little bit more functionality/capability (as well as support for more recent bodies & lenses). The built in photo editor is effectively Camera Raw 7.4 from Photoshop CS6.

LR4.0 had serious performance issues compared with LR3, but these seem to be being resolved.

The price has also dropped dramatically.
    A1, Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm & 70-210mm (Exif data....what Exif data?)

One can get a 30 day free trial package if you click on to www.lightroom4.com That way you can try out first and then decide to buy or not. this is what I have done after advice from Sooty (see my ghost thread!)
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

I just bought LR4 (full version, not upgrade) for 68 from Camera World, and free delivery.

When I installed it, it immediately 'flagged up' that an upgrade was available for download. As such, I downloaded and installed V 4.4.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12