Recommend a Scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a Scanner

About to embrace on scanning slides in to digital format after never being overly impressed by the quality. Currently, reading articles on ‘what scanner’ to purchase etc but would love to hear and perhaps see a scanned photography from a slide and ask the question what scanner would be recommended?
    Ian McG

Re: Recommend a Scanner

I use the Canon 9950F. I scan all my work @4800dpi. At that dpi it can take up to 10/15min for a completed scan - I would be happy to send examples but can't figure how to do that via this forum. I get excellent prints from the scans. The down side of this recommendation is that Canon stopped making the machine a year or two ago.

Comment

Probably not a good suggestion here on the forum but I think that you may have to look to Ni!!kon for this sort of hardware to get the goodies.

I wait to be excommunicated for this sort of recommendation (despite being a Canon afficionado)

Comment

Top of the range EPSON are second to none and that includes 35mm dedicated. I know, I got them.

Comment

I have an old film scanner, canoscan FS2710 which was perfect in its day but only scanned one slide at a time which was a little tedious. I am now looking to purchase the Canon 8800F flatbed scanner which has rave reviews.

Comment

Whilst on the subject of scanning slides, is anyone aware of a scanner that will do the business on 6x6 and 6x7 slides? I really should start scanning them before they deteriorate.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

I use a Microtek i800 which we use for glass negatives of varying sizes and have been very pleased with it, ,but I don't hink it is stilll made. If I was to change, I would go for an Epson as I went on a course there and saw what good work their scanners do. The drawback of the Microtek is that the glass is very soft and scratches easily. Not sure how helpful that info. will be!

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                Whilst on the subject of scanning slides, is anyone aware of a scanner that will do the business on 6x6 and 6x7 slides? I really should start scanning them before they deteriorate.

Colin
                Had the same idea a few weeks ago and after doing the research and sums went for the Epson V700 Photo. Comes with its own software plus Silverfast SE. Medium format frame inserts included. Not tried scanning 35mm film/slides yet. Mono 120 excellent repro.
                Illy...

Comment

Thanks Illy

That, or the V750 is just the one for me. Not only 35mm and medium format, but 5x4 and 10x8 also.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

I have V750, still learning on it as i don't like most the scan results out of it.

Comment

Ive noticed with the Epson V700 there is a lamp warm up period before pre scanning. This was the same for a plustek 35mm scanner I use but downloaded a firmware/software upgrade to make the scan instant. Havn't found an upgrade for the Epson yet, anyone else know about this???
                      Tks Illy...

Comment

I believe you can only get zero warm up if the light source is LED. The V700 uses a "White cold cathode flourescent lamp" as its light source - so it will have a warm up time.

jhdee
                        jhdee

Comment

Thanks jhdee, after doing more "googling" I find that to be so also. It has also been recommended in reviews and trials etc to get the best scan it should be warmed up for 5 minutes, prior to the scan.
                          Cheers...

Comment

V 750 is the one to go for - but far better to use wet scanning - see ScanScience - works with the 750 you will get ammazing results!

Shaun

Comment

Further to my earlier post re the V700 photo. After a years use, (13 months), the AC adapter failed to work. (240-24V). Had to order a replacement through Epson. This was completed by logging onto their web site and talking direct (keyboard) to the Tech Help. Ordered it there and then and the new one arrived 5 days later. Not sure what caused the problem, maybe leaving it plugged in/live even though the scanner was turned off. Lee Handley very helpful at Epson.

Comment

Working...
                              X