Yongnuo 568EX comparison to 580EXii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to buy a second gun to go with my 7D and 580EXii and thought I would give the Yongnuo 568EX a go. Originally I was going to go for the 565 but figured the HSS was more useful for me than the battery pack connector. So having purchased said beast I thought I'd share my thoughts......

Mechanically the 568 feels pretty good - I dont like the screw clamp as much as Canons slide switch but no big deal. I think the critical difference here is that there is no button to press in order to tilt/swivel the head which means that if your the type of strobist to hang heavy modifiers on there you may suffer droop! Having said that my Rogue Flash bender works no problem.

Functionally everything is there except Master mode. In addition the 568 has a nice ready beep and the ability to be triggered by any flash it sees, either by the first flash or the second which means it wouldnt be triggered by any other TTL pre flash in your setup.

I did a power output comparison test, and found the 568 lagging behind the 580 by around 2/3 of a stop. So it does not quite share the GN of 58. I also found that the light spread becomes a notably less uniform above the 50mm zoom level compared to the 580. It has a distinct hot horizontal bar across the centre. Below 50mm all is good.

All said for 1/3 of the price not a bad piece of kit providing reliability holds out.

Re: Yongnuo 568EX comparison to 580EXii

Thanks for sharing this

One of my next purchases is a flash and have been considering this one.

Do you think it would be ok as a flash on it's own or just a backup to the canon range?
    Chris
    Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Hello bigtench and welcome.

Interesting article and well worth the read. Yongnuo appear to be the cost effective alternative to Canon and although I have a couple of 580's at the moment, my water droplet photography project could do with some extra lighting and Yongnuo may well be the answer. I only need a couple of slaves that can run at 1/32, or 1/64th power.
      Colin

Comment

I think it would be fine, even without the master mode. Lets face it for another £56 or so you can also have the Yongnuo 622C radio triggers and have all the benefits of off camera flash without the range limitations of the Canon IR wireless system.

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          Hello bigtench and welcome.

Interesting article and well worth the read. Yongnuo appear to be the cost effective alternative to Canon and although I have a couple of 580's at the moment, my water droplet photography project could do with some extra lighting and Yongnuo may well be the answer. I only need a couple of slaves that can run at 1/32, or 1/64th power.
          Well it drops down to 1/128 but cannot comment on duration at that level. Specs say 1/200s ~ 1/20000s

Comment

I'm thinking about a Yongnuo 568 as a second flash too, but I've been put off by the reports of problems at 1/250 in HSS sync mode overexposing images.

Have you tried shots at 1/250th to see whether the problem has been resolved?
            Last edited by S_J_P; 21-01-2013, 14:39.
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

OK - I have not seen any such reports - I'd be interested in a link. Anyways I just gave a try from 1/60 - 1/250 with hss off - no real perceptible difference in any of the shots. Repeat with hss enabled up to 1/500 - again no real difference. What kind of exposure errors are reported?

Comment

Actually upon closer inspection I would have to say that all shots with shutter faster than 1/250 are approx 1/3 stop over exposed. 1/250 and slower are all the same. Not enough to concern me but it is good to know - thanks for the heads up s_j_p.....

Comment

The problem is only reported with a specific few EOS cameras, and not your 7D.

Link here

This review lists 7D as a problem too, again it suggests post November guns are ok though

Last edited by S_J_P; 21-01-2013, 19:48.
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Well there is a date label under the swivel head and I think it is marked as a 01/13 so in theory its up to date. The second link in your post also states that canon flashes are a bit variable when it comes to hss exposure so I guess you cant win! So I will just keep it in mind during use and file it under 'know your kit'!

Comment

That makes me far more comfortable with buying one then, I wanted to make sure the new versions were in common circulation!

Where'd you get yours from, eBay or Amazon? If the bay, did you got for import or pay the extra for a UK dispatch?

How are you finding the flash, are you still happy with it?

Comment

Looking back into this and it looks like the original issue was a full power dump when set to 1/250. Its certainly not doing that.

Comment

I bought on ebay from hitechproduct - http://myworld.ebay.ca/hitechproduct - rapid delivery.

Comment

I saw a couple of 565's down at the camera club and although a couple of buttons are marginally different, the rest seems to have come from the same moulds as the Canon 580 MK I.
                            Colin

Comment

Is there a finite number of flashes that a gun gives out before it is time to replace it? What is the least number that you expect from a Canon gun compared to any other? Has anyone got a link to some tests on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X