Yongnuo 568EX Canon Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After using my new Yongnuo 568EX for a few days now I thought I'd take the opportunity to tell people how I've found it as it seems to be the subject of some discussion around the merits of marque flash vs. the cheaper far-eastern offerings.

I'm comparing the £127 Yongnuo 568EX to the £400+ Canon 600EX-RT, so the price difference is immense. Both flashguns have the same headline guide number of 58 (in metres, ISO 100, at 105mm zoom setting) but the Canon flash zooms to 200mm and also offers a 20mm zoom option without the light-sapping diffuser plate having to be flipped down.

I tested both 'guns at various zoom settings and power settings using my Sigma 8-16mm zoom on an EOS 60D at the 8mm end of the range so that I could see the whole range of flash coverage patterns and make an assessment of power and coverage of one flash against the other. The most scientific the testing got was to assess the histograms in Lightroom for power differences and zooming-in in comparison view to assess light fall-off and centre brightness and evenness.

Build wise the Yongnuo feels cheaper than the Canon, but still feels like it's robust and durable, and is well weighted. The lack of a press-button release for the change of head angle may prove off putting but the click-stops have if anything a nicer, more positive and secure feeling and sound than the Canon's.

The control panel operates slightly differently to the Canon's in that instead of selecting for example Zoom and then adjusting it using the control dial on the Canon, the Yongnuo's way is to successively press the Zoom button to progressively cycle through the zoom settings. The control dial (actually four up/down/left/right push buttons rather than a dial) alters the flash output, exposure compensation, or other mode-related parameters instead.

For securing to the camera hot shoe the Yongnuo has a finely knurled locking wheel which isn't as recessed as some guns I've used so it's easy to get a finger and thumb around either side of the wheel rather than relying on just a single point of contact on the front. Its foot is the de-rigour metal variety with the usual spring-loaded retaining pin.

The Yongnuo comes with a lightly padded case which is just a little too large for the 'gun, and a stand which is an exact replica of the official Canon stand albeit made of slightly less robust feeling plastic, and the metal threaded insert (for the tripod screw) is either missing or of lower quality than the Canon version.

The Yongnuo has a full feature set, including Multi (strobe), Manual, E-TTL, optical wireless slave (for use with either an optical master or one of Canon's compatible cameras (60D, 7D, 650D) or ST-E2 and two wireless manual slave modes one for use with E-TTL systems where the pre-flash is ignored and a second basic mode triggered by another manual flash. The flash additionally has an optical wireless mode compatible with Nikon's TTL system if that's of any interest to you! It also has high speed sync mode where the flash emits a series of extremely short pulses which ensure correct exposure even at shutter speeds greater than the camera flash-sync speed (I.e when the shutter is never fully open).

The flash control system is obviously a reverse engineered copy of Canon's system and as such it's unlikely to be wholly compatible or accurate, however I've found no problem this far using it on-camera, off camera via an off-camera E-TTL cord, or when using Yongnuo's YN622C radio trigger.

There is a limited set of user configurable custom settings covering auto-power off, flash-exposure bracketing, autofocus-assist light, sounds, quick start-up, and backlight timings.

The autofocus assist lamp is the same as that of the other Yongnuo flash and only covers the central focussing point with a fairly broad and open pattern of crosses.

The zoom is accompanied by a very loud and relatively cheap-sounding mechanical whirr, much more intrusive than the Canon's (far from silent) noise.

The flash can be set to emit beeps to signify correct operation, such as acceptable exposure, recharge, and a variety of other cryptically labelled situations which suffer from poor translation. I find this option really useful and wish the Canon flash would do the same as I like an audible confirmation tone when the flash has fired and achieved its programmed exposure.

Overall, the Yongnuo is around 1/3 stop less powerful at same power setting in the centre of the frame, but the central even illumination area is slightly smaller than on the Canon and seems to fall away more quickly, so overall it looks as though the illumination is around 2/3 stop less across the frame. The Yongnuo exhibited a lot more peripheral illumination than the Canon, with a lot of light leakage right out to the edges of the 8mm frame even when zoomed. The Canon on the other hand constrains the light to the desired area.

Besides the overall illumination differences, the shape of the main illumination is different between the two 'guns. Broadly, the Canon's illuminated area is squarer and more distinct than the Yongnuo's but both flashes have artefacts/hot-spots. The Canon has an elongated eye shaped central bright band which focuses in (narrows) from 50mm setting until it forms a distinct line at 200mm which I'd estimate to be around 2/3 stop brighter than the surrounding area. The Yongnuo has a central horizontal bright band which also starts to become noticeable at 50mm and is very defined by 105mm setting which is more than a stop brighter than the surrounding area.

At lower zoom settings (up to 50mm) the Yongnuo has a slightly dull central area (probably less than 1/3 stop) whereas the Canon's illumination is very even.

The Yongnuo's significantly less powerful than the Canon with the wise-angle diffuser in place (I'd estimate it to be around 1.5 to 2 stops less) and coverage is marginally smaller, but I'd estimate that both flashguns coverage is adequate for the set focal length. The Canon's coverage is remarkably even and wide, I can only assume its down to the make up of the diffuser panel.

So, overall I'm quite impressed by the Yongnuo 568EX. It's good, but not quite as good as the Canon 600EX-RT, but it costs less than one third of the price. I can't comment on its long term durability, but it's already outlasted my Nissin Di866 ii.

Would I buy another? Yes I think I would. Would I choose the Yongnuo 568EX over a Canon 430EX ii? Again, I think I would as its a capable 'gun for a very reasonable outlay. It has some deficiencies, but whether they'd be noticeable in real-world usage is questionable and I think that if you're aware of them them you can compensate for them and make allowances.

If anyone is interested in any of the images of the coverage or competitive powers then ask and I'll post some.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Re: Yongnuo 568EX Canon Review

Very good review, telling it as it is.

I have a couple of water drop ideas in mind that could do with an extra flash or two and as I am hammering the Canon guns, I am very tempted towards the Yongnou.
    Colin

Comment

Thanks for the positive comment Colin :-)

As I've said before, I'm not convinced I'd use the Yongnuo as a prime 'gun as I've not proved its reliability yet, but as a second flash I think it ticks the boxes. Alternatively the Yongnuo 560 is a very competitively priced manual gun (£50) which may be ideal for water-drop photography where the likes of E-TTL and HSS aren't needed.
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Very nice write up.

Tom

Comment

Good review Steve

I have just purchased the Yongnuo 560 III with free transmitter which should arrive next week
          Chris
          Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Thanks Tom!

Chris, I'd be interested in your views on the Yongnuo 560 if you'd be so kind as to write a quick review when you've had a chance to use it in earnest. It seems to be a good value high powered manual flashgun.

Comment

I will happily try my best Steve although i don't have anything to compare it to and will post some shots taken.
              Last edited by crunch; 27-01-2013, 20:09.
              Chris
              Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

You don't by any chance have a 580ex to compare against the 568 ?
                Nice bit of info
                Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Chris, I'd appreciate some comments on the 560 even without anything to compare it to, just ease of use and hot-spots would be useful :-)

Thndr_strck I'm afraid a 580 of any vintage isn't in my arsenal, however I don't think the optics of the 600 is too dissimilar to the 580.

Comment

Thanks for the review.
                    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks for the, very informative, review.

Comment

Here are consolidated images showing the flash outputs. The first image shows the flash at a 50mm zoom setting and varying power levels (in manual). The second image shows the coverage pattern (and hot-spots) at various zoom settings using E-TTL.

Flash Output Comparison.jpg Flash Zoom Comparison.jpg

Comment

Thanks for that write-up Steve. Very interesting.

Comment

Very thorough Steve.

I also prefer to see reviews from users, rather than testers. They sometimes have to consider advertising revenue and manufacturers politics etc. Users have no hidden agendas and just tell it like it is.
                            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                              Very thorough Steve.

I also prefer to see reviews from users, rather than testers. They sometimes have to consider advertising revenue and manufacturers politics etc. Users have no hidden agendas and just tell it like it is.
                              I have to say that I know and have known quite a few magazine testers, and I don't think in their cases that's fair criticism at all; they're some of the most respectable journalists I can think of, and wouldn't last that long without integrity - nor would their magazines. That said, I often prefer user reviews, too, as you can generally ask them specific questions, and they can often test a bit of kit over a much longer period, getting a better appreciation of all the pros and cons - but don't think for a moment that users have no hidden agendas, they often do - even if it's just their personal preferences, and in general, people don't like to criticise their own purchases that much.

Must say I think Steve's done a great job on this one.
                              Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Working...
                              X