Yongnuo 568EX Canon Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must say that I (generally) feel I can trust professional reviews, but I know what Colin means when he questions the testers impartiality, especially with the big-name advertisers, there's always a niggling doubt that the reviews are tempered by real or perceived allegiances. However I also believe that there is a degree of elitism in Amateur reviews too, and a like or dislike of particular brands which will come through in their reviews, potentially to a greater degree than that of the professionals for whom it's a paid job rather than a hobby.

What I think amateur reviews lack is the breadth of knowledge and experience which the professionals offer. It's easy for me to say that the Canon 600EX-RT is a fabulous flash and that the Yongnuo 568EX is second best, and that the Nissin Di866 ii failed after just 500 discharges, but what I can't do it compare any of them to the other flash currently available.

This lack of extensive knowledge also leads to the reticence to mark down your own purchases, you've already investigated and made your decision that product-X is the "best" at the point you purchase it, therefore (unless it's subsequently let you down badly) you're hardly likely to say anything too harsh about it.

Also, due to the fact that many amateur reviewers don't have access to the more esoteric (expensive!) equipment it's awfully difficult to make an informed judgement as to a particular items quality (or lack thereof). It's all too easy to say that your super zoom is fabulous, sharp, and fast if you've come from a camera-phone and haven't experienced the benefits of Zeiss glass! Nor do many amateur reviewers have access to multiple copies of a piece of equipment to undertake testing of more than one example. A good case in point was the chap on these very forums who was contemplating the purchase of a 70-300 lens. My personal experience, of one copy of both the L and non-L lens was that there was little, if any discernible difference, yet a wealth of other users stated categorically that the L glass was streets ahead optically. I can't say whether the L lens I borrowed was poor, whether the non-L version I bought was exceptionally good, or whether it was just down to my camera which suited the non-L lens.

I think there's a place for Magazine, Internet, and user reviews in the selection process of new equipment, and then at the end of the process it's down to you, the consumer, to make an informed decision based on your own evaluation. My Yongnuo review was a result of a lot if chatter on this forum about the merits of marque flash vs. the cheaper far-eastern brethren, so I thought I'd offer my limited experience for general consumption in the hope that it may help someone make a slightly better informed decision during the purchase process.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Re: Yongnuo 568EX Canon Review

I have to say that I know and have known quite a few magazine testers, and I don't think in their cases that's fair criticism at all; they're some of the most respectable journalists I can think of, and wouldn't last that long without integrity - nor would their magazines.
      You are right to comment and I should have been a little more careful with how I worded my opinion.

I also have known photojournalist and equipment testers and I trust their integrity. They won't give an outstanding review to something that is a pile of cack. But, subconsciously, they wouldn't be volunteering to upset a manufacturer who regularly spends £1/2m a year on advertising with their publication. Therefore the language may be "toned down a little", where users are more likely to use the equipment the same way that I will and tell it how they see it.

I am minded that when in a hole I should stop digging .............. digging now stopped.
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        You are right to comment and I should have been a little more careful with how I worded my opinion.

I also have known photojournalist and equipment testers and I trust their integrity. They won't give an outstanding review to something that is a pile of cack. But, subconsciously, they wouldn't be volunteering to upset a manufacturer who regularly spends £1/2m a year on advertising with their publication. Therefore the language may be "toned down a little", where users are more likely to use the equipment the same way that I will and tell it how they see it.

I am minded that when in a hole I should stop digging .............. digging now stopped.
        One last comment - except at the very smallest mags, the editorial department has no connection with the advertising department. Even at the very smallest mags, the risk to reputation is simply too great to run the risk. I am aware of a (now-defunct) retailer that tried to put pressure on a magazine to change their editorial line or lose advertising - the editor refused, and the mag did without the advertising. I'm told that that was the only case of such a thing happening, but the editor - and his bosses - considered that their readers/customers would not forgive them if they gave in. What I would say is that magazine testers tend to couch critical language in measured tones - it's not that they even go as far as toning language down, more that they wouldn't use intemperate language in criticism in the first place. There's certainly more freedom for users to be free with their comments - some bloggers/internet sites I'm less sure of, I'm sure some are what our transatlantic cousins would term shills.

I agree with all that's been said in terms of tests in general, though. It always pays to understand the way any particular tester thinks - for handling, in particular, one man's meat is another man's poison.
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Excellent review

Thanks for taking the time to write it up so clearly.

Comment

To try and save some of the hammering my 580 flashes are getting with the splash photography I placed an order last night for 2 of the YN-560 Mk ii units which should be with me next week. I appreciate the great review that has been provided but as suggested for the splash shots I will be shooting in manual mode so I thought I would try the cheaper option. I will try and provide some feedback (I doubt if it will be as good as the review above)

Comment

Muscat, my next purchase may well be a YN560, so I'd be very interested in your view of them.
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I will try and provide some feedback
                Please do because for the same reasons that I am currently hammering my Canon's, they may be a better long term solution. If something breaks, another £50 is much better than spending £500.
                Colin

Comment

Steve - Is there any UK suppliers of the Yongnuo 568EX

Chris
                  EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

look on ebay
                    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

and Amazon.
                      Colin

Comment

I don't think Amazon sell the 568, but they do sell the (non HSS) 565.

Alternatively eBay sellers sell the 568, I got mine from HiTechProduct as they ship from the UK (and pretty quickly) and I've used them three times now and am happy with their service, Chinese/HK sellers are usually a little cheaper, but run the risk of import duty/VAT charges and loooooong delivery times.

Comment

Thanks Steve, It was a UK supplier I was looking for so I could have it delivered ASAP. I barely do patiently

Chris
                          EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Just as a matter of interest, did you use the newer 568 ? The first versions had an issue with the 60d. They have corrected it now. I wonder if you used the old version, and the updated version would be very different ?
                            Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

I was using a Jan '13 manufactured 'gun, so after the November cut-off date for the modified flashes. The 1/250 over-exposure in HSS mode seems to be resolved.

As far as I know the only difference was the modification to the 1/250 sync issue so all other parameters should win the same as with my version.

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                                Muscat, my next purchase may well be a YN560, so I'd be very interested in your view of them.
                                SJP, I have a 560 that I use alongside a 580EXII as part of a studio portrait set up. My experience with it is that once you understand how it works then it is a good flash at a great price. I haven't done the in depth testing that you did on the 568 but it performs well and is easy to balance with the 580. The external battery pack connector is the same as the 580 and 580 diffusers fit too. Hope this helps.
                                --
                                Colin
                                http://fotos-espana.com
                                http://macameraclub.com
                                http://turnspain.com

Comment

Working...
                                X