Yongnuo 560 Mk ii first thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The following is a very brief summary of my initial test with using 2 Yongnuo YM 560 Mk ii flash guns in combination with Canon 580 /430 flashguns for capturing water splash images.

This is the basic set up I was using to test the YN-560’s with, as you can see the 2 x YN-560 units are positioned in front of the catch tank and a Canon 580 to the rear left, I also experimented with holding my 430 above the splash which with the 4 flashguns gave me the best results.

The Canon flashes were triggered by my Pixel King wireless triggers and the YN-560’s set in synch S1 mode which resulted in them being automatically triggered by the flash of the canon units.

There is a coloured gel in the card frame placed in front of the rear flash. I have made simple cards with different gel colours in the various apertures and at times also put gels directly over the flash heads. When I do this I am not as creative as Colin who used tape, I simple use a rubber band to hold it in place, that doesn’t leave a sticky mark on the side of the flash head.

As I am using the dining room I have placed an old sheet and waterproof dust sheets to protect the table and carpet with all the chairs stacked away in the background. It is my way of getting permission to use the dining room and not have to freeze my whatsits off in the garage.

The next 4 shots were all taken with all flashguns set at 1/128 power you will see that there is plenty of light when the camera was set at ISO400, 1/160, f22. However I found that on the droplets that were still falling I was getting a halo, I'm not sure if this is the delay in the YN-560 firing after the canon flashes trigger or if the YN-560’s are not actually working at a true 1/128 sync.

Large crop of droplet

Second image at 1/128 power setting

Large crop of droplets

However I found that when I changed the power setting to 1/64 on all flashes the halo effect disappeared.

Large crop of droplets with no halo

I plan on experimenting more tomorrow with other flash positions and settings but so far I feel that the YN-560 Mk ii units are working well in manual mode and syncing with the Canon / Pixel King gear at power ratings of1/64 and upwards.

I have found that the YN-560 flashes charge between flash every bit as fast as the Canon units when using them at the reduced power settings. Depending on how my experiments go tomorrow I may well invest in a third YN-560 so that I can use the Canon 430 with a Pixel King trigger and not use either of my Canon 580’s and reap the benefits of the additional light from 4 units.

Re: Yongnuo 560 Mk ii first thoughts

Hmmm, great set-up and I am pleased you are also able to work in the warm.

Interesting observation regarding the relationship between flash power and apparent blur on the drops. I generally use mine at 1/64th power, but will try a sequence at 1/128 and see if I end up with any halo's.

I am impressed with the card gel holders, far more upmarket than my masking tape. I have lots of card centres left from when I mount photo's and that is a far more creative use for them than the rubbish bin.

Pleased that the YN-560's are working well. I will have to order a couple - at that price, much better to wear those out than the expensive Canon's.
    Colin

Comment

Thanks for posting this, nice to see how you set this up. I may incorporate the card mount method in to my approach. I will watch out for your findings wrt the halos as I too have seen some similar issues but I've only been using one 560.
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Interesting observation regarding the halos you're seeing, I've seen something similar when I was triggering one flash using a sync cord and the other wirelessly, but hadn't considered the power setting so maybe my assumption it was the sync cord was incorrect. I take it there's no chance of (bright) ambient light having an effect?

I admire your ingenuity regarding the flash filters! I'm using Blue-Tac at the moment as it quicker to remove/replace the filters than the Velcro and rubber bands I have.

ST-EOS, how are you triggering your 560, corded, optical, radio, manual?
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Which make of food colouring are you using? It is a rather nice crimson red.
          Colin

Comment

Thanks for looking and passing comments I will try and update with my thoughts after I have had a longer play tomorrow.

Colin the food dye I am using is the Silver Spoon create food colouring.

Steve I don't believe ambient light was an issue as the room was quite dark I had the main blinds closed to ensure there was limited light spill / contamination in the room.

Comment

Working...
            X