X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yongnuo YN-560 Mkii further investigation results

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
    Hi All,

I am hopeless with the understanding of Flash Photography really and using multiples.

I have been reading these reviews of the 560 and Steve's review of the 568 with great interest, I currenty have a 580 and 430 which I use as a slave, I would like to get two more flash guns but only to use off camera as slaves and thought the 560's would do the job, but then read Ian's comments on the delayed reactions when fired optically.

So, my question is, would the amount of delay Ian refers to, have any noticeable effect on studio portrait type of Photographs? I can clearly see the effect it has on Ian's water droplet work, but I am more interested in getting better shots of my Grandkids etc.

I note that Steve says he doesn't have any optical delays with the 568 and Ian doesn't with the 560 if he uses wireless, however, if I was to buy the Yongnuo Tranceivers to go with the 560's at their cost I might as well buy the 568's.

Or have I misunderstood the whole thing?

Any thoughts anyone??

Regards Paul
    Paul, as suggested elsewhere The Speedliter's Handbook by Syl Arena is a must-read publication for the aspiring flash user, it guides you from first principals to deviance s techniques.

When considering the third party 'guns such as the two Yongnuo units you mentioned, do remember that the 560 is completely manual whereas the 565 is automatic and the 568 is automatic with a few bells and whistles. A 560 wirelessly triggered (whether optical or radio) is still a manual gun.

You need to think of the gun and trigger as two separate items, the gun itself will be either manually set or automatically set by the camera depending on the model chosen. Then you think about triggering it off-camera, by a cord, optically, or by radio. The 560, 565, or 568 will all optically trigger without any modification or additional hardware in manual mode (slave mode).

The 565/568 will also optically trigger in automatic exposure mode when using a compatible camera (7D, 60D, 5D etc.) or an optical-wireless master flash (580 or 600).

The radio trigger (such as the 622c) doesn't really offer much advantage with the manual 560 (except to eliminate the small, but significant lighting effect of the on camera master triggering gun), but with the automatic 565/568 guns the radio trigger offers a wealth of configuration options which aren't available using optical triggering.

Under controlled scenarios such as water drop photography, the manual guns are more than adequate, but in dynamic scenarios such as the grand kids automatic exposure can be a real boom. If you already have two auto guns then there's an argument that two more manual only guns would be fine, but it's really down to how you'd use the extra guns. The ideal situation would be four fully auto guns, radio triggers, and one of the latest cameras with 5-group flash control, but of course that's also the most expensive option. However, in the real world where money is important, if you're thinking of portraiture under studio conditions then manual guns (for background and rim lighting for example) would be perfect, with the auto guns as key lights. If you're doing event photography and use the two manual guns for background lighting, then again that's perfect. If you're intending to use soft boxes, remote flash locations, high-speed sync, or daylight multi-flash set ups then the radio triggers are essential though. Also remember that Canon's flash settings on all but the latest camera models only allows control of two flash groups, plus limited control of a third.

At the end of the day, it's all down to how you're intending to use the guns and your budget as to how you spend your money. One thing I would say is that whilst you can cheaply add to the radio triggers (you can buy them singly, in pairs, three, or four at a time), once you've bought a manual gun, you're stuck with a manual gun.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse you!
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I was hoping you would spot the thread and reply.

Yes I knew the 560's were Manual only, but they are so cheap compared to the others I thought it maybe worth having a go with them, it is mainly for lighting the background and for behind the model lighting for hair etc I wanted them for so had thought that with some experimenting with settings they would be ok and handy to have.

Regards Paul

Comment

Paul, for what you're thinking of using them for, the manual 560's optically triggered by either your 580 (on-camera, or better still off-camera using a TTL cord) or your camera's flash (what camera do you have? Is it one with a built-in master?) sounds ideal and inexpensive. So long as you remember than flash exposure is down to the flash/subject distance and not the camera/subject distance, you can simply set a background light manually and then shoot using the auto flashes illuminating the subject as you move around it.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks again, how you described it above is how I envisaged trying to use them, I tend to use the 580 on a bracket which takes it just off to the left and forward of the Camera (7D) and have used the 430 as a slave moved around as required in the past but have never been happy without any lights to go behind or to light behind the subject.

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
          X