Adobe Camera Raw versus DPP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adobe Camera Raw versus DPP

I'm not a great fan of DPP. I find it very clunky and somewhat basic compared to ACR
    In a sense, you are right. But the benefit of those attributes is that it is very quick.

I now only spend minutes going through my raw files to tweek them to the very best RAW files I can achieve, before just importing the very best shots into Photoshop for some final polish.

Having a RAW converter that does everything is a bit like having a combi printer that prints, scans, sends faxes, makes the tea, or maybe a 10mm - 300mm lens. All very convenient in their own way, but not as good as the real thing.
    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
      In a sense, you are right. But the benefit of those attributes is that it is very quick.

I now only spend minutes going through my raw files to tweek them to the very best RAW files I can achieve, before just importing the very best shots into Photoshop for some final polish.
      I don't think I spend a lot of time on my RAW files either. I'm used to ACR so use it, but if the shot is beyond recovery then I won't spend a long time trying to make the proverbial silk purse. I have several presets stored and use those to get a "one click" processing procedure. Does DPP have that facility?

Like everyone I always say that I try to get the shot right in camera, but like everyone I sometimes spectacularly fail.

I don't find DPP as intuitive as ACR, but I suspect that it may just be a case of familiarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post
        Does DPP have that facility?
        Yes, they are called recipes.

I find both DPP and ACR (assuming it supports your camera) both fit for purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
          Thanks to MX5 for this link to the video. Coincidentally I had taken a number of images the previous night and wanted to blend them all into one. When I watched the video bit about how to process HDR images I immediately gave it a try. It was so easy - and gave quite a decent result - that I think I'll give DPP a go.

Comment

Thanks to NigelS I went and bought Andrew S Gibson's DPP book, currently on a £2 off offer.

I must say I think it's very good. Rather than simply details on all the functions in DPP it focusses on which ones you can use, when and why. As a result I'll be changing my workflow and using DPP with any finishing off in PEL.

Thanks to all on the forum for the help. You've been a friendly and helpful bunch and I'll be back with my next question soon!

Comment

A question I was going to ask a while ago after ColinC mentioned he used DPP.

I have always used PS ACR, I did load the DPP software a few weeks ago to try it out and found it basic and clunky (for want of a better word) and I needed to open the converted file in PS to fine tune it where as I find with ACR that I can open 20+ images at a time, and do a very basic set of adjustments (usually just a tiny bit of exposure comp, bit of black or fill light) save as jpeg and that's it, I think maybe once in a blue moon I need to open the image in PS after to change anything else.

I can take anything from 2000 to 5000 shots over a race weekend all in raw only and within a day they are converted and uploaded for the clients, so I guess it's all down to what you are used to using / your workflow and what you can afford to buy at the time.

.DAVID.
              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

You can also fine tune one shot in DPP, copy the recipe and paste it to all other shots taken in the same conditions. DPP works for me because it does all the basics of RAW conversion well, it is fine tuned to Canon and it is quick.
                Colin

Comment

Working...
                X