Why is this site so complex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is this site so complex?

I post on several fora? forums on the net, so I am not without experience.
    So why is it so difficult to do so here? It has taken perhaps 15 minutes to arrive at this stage, by multiple clicking and cursing and all I wish to do is ask a question of other users. I don't even know whom I am addressing right now.
    I joined DPReview some time back. One may register and post a query within 3, maybe 4 minutes.
    Given that the magazine is amonst the very best, probably the best in field, I feel this site deminishes the publication by sheer complexity.
    I wish to post a question to other forum members. Would someone please tell me how I might do this? In simple terms.

Thank you

Chris Pearson

PS. I feel that I may have misspelled the word deminish. However, when I, in a weak moment, tried using the spell checker I discovered that even that is difficult to use.

CP. Very grumpy CP!

Re: Why is this site so complex?

Originally posted by Sooty View Post
    I post on several fora? forums on the net, so I am not without experience.
    So why is it so difficult to do so here? It has taken perhaps 15 minutes to arrive at this stage, by multiple clicking and cursing and all I wish to do is ask a question of other users. I don't even know whom I am addressing right now.
    I joined DPReview some time back. One may register and post a query within 3, maybe 4 minutes.
    Given that the magazine is amonst the very best, probably the best in field, I feel this site deminishes the publication by sheer complexity.
    I wish to post a question to other forum members. Would someone please tell me how I might do this? In simple terms.

Thank you

Chris Pearson

PS. I feel that I may have misspelled the word deminish. However, when I, in a weak moment, tried using the spell checker I discovered that even that is difficult to use.

CP. Very grumpy CP!
    First of all, welcome to what is perhaps the friendliest forum I have ever used.

I too have a lot of experience on other forums, not just in photography, I am at a loss to understand why you feel this one complex by comparison - but anyway,

now that you are 'in' just log in, go to the forum that best suits the topic you want to talk about, or if not, just use the general discussions one click it, then click new topic and post your questions

Regards
    Ian
    EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Can you give some details of the problems you have encountered?

If you are replying to a thread, you just type a message into the 'Quick Reply' box and click the 'Post Quick Reply' button. If you are starting a thread you click the 'Post New Thread' button and take it from there. You have started a new thread and posted a message, so you are now familiar with this.

As with most forums, you must be logged in before you can post messages.

No, you can't register and post within a few minutes. We manually moderate (check) all registrations to eliminate spammers - around 50% to 80% of all registrations every day. We are fairly successful with this. However, this means that you might have to wait up to a day (usually less) for your registration to be approved.
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Hello Chris

Whatever the difficulty, you are here now and very welcome.

We are not too strict on anything and although choosing the nearest category is best, anything you consider suitable will do and will get a positive response.
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Sooty View Post
          I don't even know whom I am addressing right now.
          I meant to add that all messages posted on the forum are accessible to everyone viewing the forum - members and guests. We don't operate any closed groups.
          Robert
          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Can't wait till you try and post an image
            Big welcome bye the way.
            Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I post regularly on 3 other forums and this one is as easy as any of them. The only problem is if you fall fowl of the dreaded "503" problem

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.
                “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Hi Chris, Welcome to the forum, sorry you are finding it difficult to use. But now that you have posted, looking forward to hearing from you again.

Tom

Comment

Diminish

Comment

How excrutiatingly embarrassing. When I posted the question Why is the site so complex I had no idea that it was going to be read by everyone. I actually thought I was addressing the admin bods.
                      The problem, I'm guessing, is that following re-setting my password, the page failed to refresh or whatever and the box didn't appear. Later on, in fact just now, I re-visited the forum and everything works properly, along with members comments. Burning in shame now.
                      Thank you Sarawak for the spelling check. I new, neugh, knew ...... knowed it were wrong but not what was wrong. 5/10 please for trying.
                      Thanks for the welcome notes. This really is a good place to be and I'll never, ever be horrid again
                      Sooty

Comment

No need to be embarrassed. Errors happen. Mine get published in EOS magazine!
                        Robert
                        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Mine get published in EOS magazine!
                          We never see any of those Robert ........ cough!
                          Colin

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Chris.
                            EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Welcome aboard Chris
                              Bob Turner
                              Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Working...
                              X