Portrait Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portrait Night

I had the opportunity again tonight at my local camera club meeting to practice portrait photography. A local girl kindly came down and we all had a couple of minutes with her. A studio type setup was setup with a dark background and 1 flashlight fired through a softbox and a person holding a reflector.

My settings were 1/125 f8 ISO 100 55mm.
    I have done 2 versions of the same shot all comments welcome.

lady2 by C J Lee, on Flickr

lady2bw by C J Lee, on Flickr
    Chris
    Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Re: Portrait Night

Chris, I really like that. 18-55 kit lens?

Just goes to show that if you stick to its sweet spot (f8) low iso and flash it can be really sharp.

It is exactly the look I was trying for with my 'clockwork orange daughter' shot

I love the lighting and the pose, lovely model, I like the 'almost' smile - something almost Mona Lisa like about it.

How much skin softening did you do?

as for the two versions, I have flicked back and forth between them a lot and I really like them both, I think the eyes really pop in the B&W, it seems perhaps a little more mysterious whereas there is a warmth to the colour one that hints at a warmer personality, it is more 3 dimensional - they are both brilliant

Ian
    EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

The eyes have it for me in the BW version.

Tom

Comment

Very good - like the lighting

Comment

Should be please with those both work well.

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Both are very good shots but the black and white version has my vote as the eyes seem to pop more than in the color version.
            1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
            Facebook
            www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

I do like both of them but like Celtex, I am wondering what has happened to the skin - particularly in the colour version it looks just a bit too smooth and plastic like

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Thank you all for looking and commenting.
                I used a dynamic skin softener and the effect doesn't look too bad on my tv, but what I have noticed is my shots always look different on a pc monitor. I think I may have to setup a dual setup where I can view on both at the same time and calibrate them so what I see most others will see too.
                Chris
                Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Nice images Chris, but I'm worried by the shadow under the lower lip, particularly LHS.
                  Russell
                  Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

A nice result with good colour and sharpness. I am not a fan of skin modifiers, most tend to look a bit false unless used very discreetly.

One of the challenges with flash lit portraits I find is getting the lighting to look natural. I am with Russell re the shadow under the lip, and also the conflicting shadow on the cheek, which has probably come as a result of the reflector being a bit too close.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for looking and commenting Peter and Russell.

There is quite a large group at our camera club especially on practical nights, so the time is limited.
                      I only had a couple of minutes with her and was just trying to get the best I could in the time I had.
                      Ideally if I had the time would have setup better, but it was all good fun and would urge others to have a go.
                      Chris
                      Practice makes perfect

Comment

Hi Chris

I know absolutle nowt about potraits(well nearly) while the eyes do pop in the B&W I do prefer the warmth and mystery in #1

Alun
                        Alun

Comment

Thanks Alun I know very little too and this was only my second attempt.
                          I would like to go in a studio and spend at least an hour in there just to try different things.
                          Now and again my family kindly pose for me but I don't think it's the same as doing portrait shots of someone you don't know.
                          Chris
                          Practice makes perfect

Comment

Both are very good !
                            ef-r

Comment

It's the B&W version for me also, love the eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X