Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the "Forum Photo Challenge" past it's Sell By Date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the "Forum Photo Challenge" past it's Sell By Date?

Great summary Colin, incredible stats as ever Stephen and Alex I think you have done the right thing by raising a query and asking for feedback.

Lets see what happens with the challenge #65

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks to all who have responded to the thread, in particular to Colin for putting some "Meat on the Bone" as to the History of the Challenge and to Stephen for his Statistics which were very interesting. They did in a way emphasise my point in that the average entries has been nearly 11, but the last few challenges have been nearer to half that, and as I enjoy the Challenges I found that trend a bit worrying.

Interesting also that we have had comments hinting that there should be more feedback on the entries and some seemingly just the opposite.

In regards to the Points made that I hadn't given people chance to Congratulate the Winner, going back a little and looking at previous Challenges clearly shows that it used to be the norm that within the same time period, the Winner would have had 8,9, 10 or even more messages of congratulation.

As said in the original Post, I realise it is not everyone who enjoys the Challenges and of course it is each to their own, I would just like to say that I particularly enjoy them as it always brings my Wife Sue into the Hobby and we do them between us, the last Challenge of Album Titles which I was lucky enough to win was in fact Sue's research and idea, the Christmas Card one, had Sue making me the Gingerbread House I pictured and the Joanne's Birthday Challenge was again Sue's idea and guess who made all the Buns in the Pic.
      So, I suppose what I am saying is that if you want your Wife and Partner involved in your Hobby, the Challenge is a good way to do it!!!

Once again thankyou to all who replied and I sincerely hope that a few more will enter, as I for one would be really sad to see the Challenge fade away.

Regards Paul

Comment

I don't think the forum photo challenge has past it's sell by date.
        So far I have entered a couple of competitions, but I'm only a relative noob on the forum.
        I will enter more in the future but time is a factor for me at the moment.
        I'm quite busy at work as I work on the roads and there are a lot of roadworks out there (I apologize if I slowed your journey).
        The time I do have available is spread between my camera club(which do competitions) going out to take photo's and my family followed by posting on this forum.
        I try to post as much as I can and also try to help or give suggestions where I can.
        I agree I could do more with comments on other peoples shots rather than just liking it, but sometimes I'm in the same boat as to 'why' I like a shot. I think i will have to put more thought into that.
        I don't see why pro's shouldn't be included from entering competitions as I think your only as good as your competition. Sure us amateurs wouldn't win every week but would be great to make the top 3 against the pro's and would improve our learning.
        I've been competitive most of my life having played rugby for 20 odd years and don't think it's attention seeking, it's all about being the best we can be.
        I also like the idea of the photoshop competition and would be a great way to learn our processing which is a part of photography.

Anyway this is only my opinion and will try to enter competitions in the future.
        Chris
        Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

We have had a couple of discussions here amongst the EOS magazine team about encouraging participation in the photo challenge and possibly featuring it in the magazine each issue. However we don't like to influence the forum too much as it does very well without us!
          Last year we promoted four of the challenges via Facebook. Most notably challenge #54 - Nature - was the first one we promoted and it received the highest number of entries. Whether this was down to the promotion, the popularity of the chosen subject or the time of year is difficult to say. Thanks to Stephen for the interesting stats. We can resume this promotion and hopefully it will generate more interest and capture the imagination of more EOS users.
          We like the photo challenge because it is just that - a challenge. It can lead to some interesting interpretations of a theme and some very good photography. What we don't want to do is to turn it into a run-of-the-mill competition. There are too many around and we feel that it won't necessarily benefit the forum.
          Would you like EOS magazine to become more involved?

Comment

I must admit, I read a lot of the posts, and am always interested to see photos from other members. I comment sometimes, but perhaps not as much as I could. But then there is the competition... the idea of judging other people work I would find daunting. (If I would be lucky enough to win) Personally I would enter, if the winner was judged via a poll, and all you then had to do was select the next theme.

It's a good idea to have a challenge, to make you think how to create an interesting image. I also think that having a a technique a month could be beneficial. Perhaps go back to basics... eg ..take 3 photos of you chosen subject, one at your widest aperture(eg f2.8), f8 and f16 keeping an eyes on shutter speed/iso, , then maybe an ISO shot to see the difference is contrast/grain/sharpness-detail... noting variations in shutters speed etc.
            Panning, low light, shooting predominantly black then white - using exp comp to get correct exposure... that kind of thing. Perhaps if someone wanted to understand an aspect that could be the next learning challenge. Probably been done already. But you often see people say they are still using the auto settings, and this may help in further understanding of all the other buttons.

Comment

I don't see why pro's shouldn't be included from entering competitions
              It was a voluntary restriction, considered in the best interest of the Forum.

When you have been working to clients briefs, sometime 2, maybe even three in a day for twenty years or so, continually going the extra mile to exceed your clients expectations, to retain not only his business, but his recommendation of your services to his contacts, that is a very unfair advantage over those with no similar experience.

Same two or three people winning all the time and this competition would have folded ages ago. Millie was smart enough to foresee that.
              Colin

Comment

Who says you're going to win?

Seriously though, I love to see some pro shots on the forum. Not necessarily in the competition, but perhaps a thread where you could share some of your skills with us keen amateurs.
                Last edited by AndyA; 19-03-2013, 23:59.
                Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Who says you're going to win?
                  Fair point, there are no guarantees in life.

I recall a heated discussion I had with Mike Tyson. He was getting out of order, quite angry and actually threatened me with severe violence. Not one to be intimidated, I told him exactly what I thought of him and his threats ............ and then put the phone down.

I think he is still looking for someone called David!
                  Colin

Comment

Thanks again all for the recent replies and special thanks to Claire from the Mag for your input.

I hope, from what I have read that the Challenge has a good Future, I notice the Current Challenge already has a couple of entries with Brian leading the way.

Now if we had a bit of decent weather we might get some greenery on the Trees!!!

Thanks again All.

Regards Paul

Comment

This is an interesting discussion. I always intend to enter, but with several competing hobbies I find the 2 weeks a bit of a challenge too far. As a result, I only enter when the subject immediately sparks an interest - personally I'd like a little longer, but only a little. Or maybe I just need summer to turn up!
                      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I must first of all congratulate Millie (where is she anyway?- hiding somewhere!) for starting this competition which has benefited a lot of members. Having said that I think the competition should be re-jigged with a small entry fee,a longer time interval (2 months)between each competition,and a small prize such as a Canon compact camera-on the lines of the prize offered by the Daily Telegraph Big picture competition. This will revive interest and also make the entrants submit their best photos (beware of the 503 maleoware ghost),rather than "this one would do" attitude. I must also add one important proviso,once a members wins a prize he/she should be barred from entering an amateur competition such as this to prevent the same person winning over and over again. There should also be a minimum number of paying entrants to have a viable prize fund.FINALLY, it should have the blessings of Robert,because of the monetary connotation
                        Last edited by Nathaniel; 23-03-2013, 13:23.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                          Stephen, you are just amazing sometimes.

On second thoughts, you are just amazing.
                          He is in the wrong business!
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Interesting point Nathaniel I would be up for a prize competition
                            Chris
                            Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                              I think the competition should be re-jigged with a small entry fee,a longer time interval (2 months)between each competition,and a small prize such as a Canon compact camera-on the lines of the prize offered by the Daily Telegraph Big picture competition. This will revive interest and also make the entrants submit their best photos (beware of the 503 maleoware ghost),rather than "this one would do" attitude. I must also add one important proviso,once a members wins a prize he/she should be barred from entering an amateur competition such as this to prevent the same person winning over and over again. There should also be a minimum number of paying entrants to have a viable prize fund.FINALLY, it should have the blessings of Robert,because of the monetary connotation
                              It is only a "Forum photo challenge" it is free for forum members.
                              What the judge (previous winner) decides which comes 1st, 2nd, 3rd may not be the same if someone else was judging.
                              If we have to pay a fee then the fun goes out of the photo challenge and I personally feel it would die a death as no one would enter.
                              There are many competitions with prizes such as the Daily Telegraph Big picture competition that you mention.
                              This is a very friendly forum and it is free to join; if fees were introduced, in any shape or form, then the forum would die.

The current Forum photo challenge format may need a little jigging, maybe 3 weeks instead of 2 weeks but it must (IMHO) remain free to all members.
                              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Whilst members are free to give their opinions on my suggestion of a small entry fee, I do not agree that the forum would die. The fee is only for a small element within the forum- a photo competition, whilst the forum remains free as it is. It serves a great purpose in making,meeting new members, enables free comments to be made on members photo postings,enables members to obtain advice on equipment,problems etc etc. Hence I am sure the forum would grow from strength to strength.
                                Last edited by Nathaniel; 23-03-2013, 16:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X