16-28mm Tokina test shots part two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16-28mm Tokina test shots part two

Much better day today so managed to get out and about with the main target shooting a very large building to check distortion and problems with perspective at such wide angles,Not the easiest thing to find ( a large building in my area) Please note that this lens is really designed for full frame and APS-H sensor size Cameras (not 1.6 censors but don't worry you still have lots of other choices)
    First few shot are of the actual lens.

Well built lens with a solid feel.

IMG_0079 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

Fix lens hood, this front element means no filters can be added, and also risk of damage, the AF - MF is a sliding mechanism (pull push)to switch from one to the other

IMG_0084 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

Similar size to Canons 24-105mm when zoomed to 105mm

IMG_0085 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

Images from afternoon shoot will be posted below.

Paul
    Last edited by paul linton; 19-03-2013, 15:46.
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: 16-28mm Tokina test shots part two

That front element would rule it out for me on my rambles and scrambles. Looks quite a chunk of glass. But the results are so far impressive ... taken with your 1D3 I assume?

Comment

This is about as tall a building as i can find,not quite the empire state building but good practice to see what distortion is like and how to reduce the effect.

Straight shot looking down the street, Camera is straight and level, At this point no real problems with any distortion that is obvious and no vignetting

IMG_0034 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

Things start to look a little strange when you point the Camera in the upwards position,Straight lines start to lean as you can see,should be able to correct in photoshop perspective crop tool.

IMG_0044 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

Framing is far more critical i found keeping the main subject in the frame straight and don't worry about the other horizons or vertical as you can never get them all looking right,best to keep just the main target straight,On this image it was just keeping the spire straight.

IMG_0068 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

These problems are probably the thing you'll get with every ultra wide angle lens, and with a little care in the framing or been able to take the shot straight on (not looking up or down to much)you'll be happy with the results,As for color and sharpness this lens delivers.

IMG_0069 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
      Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
        That front element would rule it out for me on my rambles and scrambles. Looks quite a chunk of glass. But the results are so far impressive ... taken with your 1D3 I assume?
        Hi
        All these images were taken with Canon 1d MKIII.

Comment

Looks good so far, what was the focal length of each image? Maybe pick 1 subject and show us varies focal lengths would also be helpful.

Tom

Comment

Many thanks for looking Tom,
            All these images were taken at the widest setting (16mm)If i get the time I'll try to shoot some images set at different focal lengths, unfortunately I'm now back at work and haven't got much time off before i go away.(I'm always full of excuses)
            Thanks again
            Paul

Comment

Working...
            X