• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what second camera should i buy

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
    On face value I quite fancy the new Eos 100D

Trev
    Any particular reasons Trev?
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Any particular reasons Trev?
      Nat, it’s the world’s smallest dslr, and it’s an EOS need I say more ?

Subject to this 100D having some custom functions that enable back AF and AF selection and a couple of other things. I will be buying when it reaches £500.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
        Nat, it’s the world’s smallest dslr, and it’s an EOS need I say more ?

Subject to this 100D having some custom functions that enable back AF and AF selection and a couple of other things. I will be buying when it reaches £500.

Trev
        Subject to it feeling right (and the Mark II EOS-M not happening, so I can't evaluate it) ... then for the very same reasons as Trev ... I shall be buying one. Actually if needs must I might pay £550 !!

Nat ... it's 350g lighter than your 60D !!!!!!
        Last edited by MX5; 29-03-2013, 08:39.

Comment

I don't wish to hi-jack this thread but I know that the 100D is much lighter than the 60D. However, I must lay my hands on one to see if it feels right in my average size palms. If it is too small like EOS-M and with my EF lenses, it might not feel "right". So all options open just now.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

If it is too small like EOS-M and with my EF lenses, it might not feel "right".
            We adapt.

I use Mrs C's little Ixus 100 and although it almost disappears into my mitts, it is very usable and it has a viewfinder. Hmmm, she has a birthday coming up, wonder if I could get away with buying her a 100D?
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
              We adapt.
              Exactly! How many people do you read about switching from pro/semi pro bodies to M4/3 to save weight and space then raving about their new system? Ergonomics is more important than size and to be honest most people don't have vastly different hand sizes anyway. I find it a bit weird that lots of new high end compacts are retro styled, but I suppose if it works...
              TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Some years ago I bought my wife a G10. I was amazed what it would accomplish. In fact I got into the habit of putting it into my pocket, much to the annoyance of my wife. Obviously now one would go for the latest model (G15). One advantage of the Canon G series over most manufacturers 'point and shoot' is that it has an optical viewinder. I find it impossible to compose shots on a screen, particularly in bright light. If one is used to the optical viewfinder of a DSLR then the Canon G series is the nearest even though the coverage is only about 70%.

My workhorse is a Canon 40D with a 15 - 85 mm lens. (I will have to upgrade one of these days),however, that combination is quite a heavy chunk to carry around.

Comment

Ergonomics is more important than size and to be honest most people don't have vastly different hand sizes anyway.

I agree. The camera should feel "right" in your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                    Ergonomics is more important than size and to be honest most people don't have vastly different hand sizes anyway.

I agree. The camera should feel "right" in your hands.
                    I think you will actually find hand sizes vary enormously, and finger lengths..

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                      I think you will actually find hand sizes vary enormously, and finger lengths..
                      Nat was actually quoting me. Whilst there are exceptions between the 5th and 95th percentile for males in the UK between 19 & 65 hand length, breadth and index finger length are all within 10% of the median. This is similar for women but obviously slightly smaller in size. This given with the ability to manipulate fingers and hand shape size for a lot of tools doesn't matter too much. Although personal preference is obviously important.
                      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                        I don't wish to hi-jack this thread but I know that the 100D is much lighter than the 60D. However, I must lay my hands on one to see if it feels right in my average size palms. If it is too small like EOS-M and with my EF lenses, it might not feel "right". So all options open just now.
                        Do remember for interchangeable lens cameras the lens size is as important as the camera size. Although once you go beyond pocketable I find weight is more of an issue than size. Hence my m43 70-200 f2.8 equiv at 360g + 550g for the camera goes out more than my Canon version at 1490g + 810g even though my new m43 camera is only 260g/32% lighter than my Canon body.
                        Last edited by DrJon; 30-03-2013, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
                          Nat was actually quoting me. Whilst there are exceptions between the 5th and 95th percentile for males in the UK between 19 & 65 hand length, breadth and index finger length are all within 10% of the median. This is similar for women but obviously slightly smaller in size. This given with the ability to manipulate fingers and hand shape size for a lot of tools doesn't matter too much. Although personal preference is obviously important.
                          Got yer - silly me - I must look at the size of my patients hands more carefully

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            I use Mrs C's little Ixus 100 and although it almost disappears into my mitts, it is very usable and it has a viewfinder. Hmmm, she has a birthday coming up, wonder if I could get away with buying her a 100D?
                            Plus a white lens or two?

The Canon 100D is not that much smaller than the Canon 1000D or Nikon D3000. 9mm narrower, 7mm shorter but 4mm fatter. I do not think the 100D is the answer to the OP's question.
                            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Life in a Northern Town where Grocer Jack worked (I'll not name the town)... the neighbouring towns reckon they've all got 5 fingers. I seem to recall when I worked in Cambridge the locals had a similar view of 'those to the east'. So much for ergonomics.

But I notice (purely observational and not statistical **) some of my peers have hands like bunches of bananas and others very dainty digiti manus. But I guess forensic archaeological anthropologists could tell everything from the size of a proximal phalanx.

** Mind you Mark Twain had a good saying about Statistics (and I was trained in Statistics amongst many thing donkey's years ago)

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                                I do not think the 100D is the answer to the OP's question.
                                You are right ... the RX100 is the answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X