Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affordable Telephoto Lenses for Lunar photography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affordable Telephoto Lenses for Lunar photography?

I have very recently started astrophotography and at the moment I am concentrating on photos of our Moon. I have a Canon EOS 550D but my EF-S 55-250mm Lens does not get me close enough! My wife would kill me if I bought one of the larger Canon Tele Lenses therefore does anyone have a suggestion, preferably based on firsthand experience, of Lenses with a focal length > 500mm which are affordable (say less than 1,000 GBP/€)?

Re: Affordable Telephoto Lenses for Lunar photography?

Hi and welcome alanm161.

Don't underestimate the power of cropping! Some users on these forums have produced some excellent lunar images using 55-150 and 70-300 lenses.

I've used a Sigma 150-500mm zoom for some lunar photography with some success, and coupled with a 2x teleconverter you'll get around 50% frame coverage.

You should be able to pick up the big Sigma for around £700 and a t/c like Kenko's for around £125 or Sigma's own for around £225.

I'm sure there are better value alternatives to this set up (I've used a £100 500mm mirror lens with some success, as you're doing all the set up manually even with the AF lenses) but the big Sigma is a reasonable quality super-tele lens which has a multitude of uses beyond lunar photography.

Here's an image taken with that set up...
    Moon by S.J.P, on Flickr
    Canon EOS 60D/Sigma 150-500 @403mm with 2x T/C (806mm) 1/250 @ f/16 ISO400
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Being brand new to the forum world I hope I manage to get this reply correct, here goes =>

Many thanks for your very interesting and useful input S_J_P, exactly what I was looking for :-)

Comment

Mrs C killed me when I bought my 500mm .......... twice, but it was worth it!

Wouldn't a telescope with a camera adapter be more useful and also less expensive?
        Colin

Comment

Hello Colin C,

Sorry to hear about your passing away :-(

To my shame I have a telescope and all the necessary Adapters already and one of these days/weeks/months/years I might actually get around to setting it up software-wise (despite the crappy Celestron User manual!) ;-)

Thanks for your posthumous input :-)

Comment

Originally posted by alanm161 View Post
            Hello Colin C,

Sorry to hear about your passing away :-(
            That is funny .....
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Colin C, AKA ............. Lazarus.
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                Colin C, AKA ............. Lazarus.
                This is how ghosts and phantoms appear and haunt places of interest!
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opteka-Telep.../dp/B001LZOWFC.

Comment

Hello MX5,

Sorry for not responding earlier. I did not receive any E-Mail notification of your input and haven't been online for a few days.

I actually have the Opteka 500mm Lens on my Amazon candidates list - with quite a few others. Do you personally have any firsthand experience with this Lens?

Thanks again and ..... zoom, zoom :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X