LP-E6 battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LP-E6 battery

I'm looking to buy a spare battery for my 7D.

First choice would be a Canon original, but the price is VERY hefty when compared with third party alternatives.

I'm not looking at the sub £20 real 'cheapies', but there is a Duracell offering at £30.

Has anyone had experience of the Duracell?

Another brand that I've seen mentioned is Hahnel, which is around the same price as the Duracell.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 05-04-2013, 14:07.
    Dave

Re: LP-E6 battery

Hi Dave, Sorry - not used the Duracell ones.

I recently had a strange occurence using a 'sub-£20' 7 day shop battery for my 7D, where the read-out quickly went to 27%, then 13%, and neither of these settings agreed with the display on the back of the camera! Went back inside for a coffee, and it went to 100% (which I knew it wasn't). Went back out in the cold, and it quickly went from 100% to 17%! I changed to a proper Canon LP-E6 and had no issues with it after that.

I have just ordered a new Canon LP-E6 to be my main 'spare' battery, and will keep the 7 day shop batteries as 'spare' spares!

I'd be interested to see if anyone has experience of the £30 batteries, but TBH, I'll be happier with the proper LP-E6.

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I have bought my third party batteries from the 7 day shop I am very happy with them. No problems to date.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

After two years occasional use, my 7dayshop LP-E4 has just died.

It was getting hot in the charger and I suppose I was quite lucky to be on hand to notice. I let it cool down, but it was already dead. I bought three Canon's and a 7dayshop to go on Safari with and that would have given me 6 batteries over two bodies. All the Canon ones are still fine.
        Colin

Comment

I currently have a number of sub £20 spares for both my 50D (not LP-E6 but similar) and 5d3 so far I have not had any real issues, yes the sub£20 batteries seem to need charging more frequently but I can still get a good days shooting out of them

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
            I currently have a number of sub £20 spares for both my 50D (not LP-E6 but similar) and 5d3 so far I have not had any real issues, yes the sub£20 batteries seem to need charging more frequently but I can still get a good days shooting out of them
            Good point Ian. Myself, I have never had a problem with 7Day shop batteries. I always store them in my 'Y'fronts to keep them warm and ready for action. It seems they are a tad temperature sensitive. In fact Im in the process of designing some under pants with battery pockets and hope to have them for sale soon..grab'em while you can.
            All the best
            R

Comment

I have only ever used Canon original batteries including the LP-E6.
              Spend £1000+ on a camera and then £20-£30 on a cheap battery does not make sense to me.
              I also read that using 3rd-party batteries voids the Canon warranty.

You can but a genuine Canon LP-E6 from Amazon for under £50.00
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                I have only ever used Canon original batteries including the LP-E6.
                Spend £1000+ on a camera and then £20-£30 on a cheap battery does not make sense to me.
                I also read that using 3rd-party batteries voids the Canon warranty.

You can but a genuine Canon LP-E6 from Amazon for under £50.00
                Absolutely spot on Steven. If youre going to spend that amount on a camera, why have a second rate battery. Thats why my new 'Camo-Range' will have such far ranging appeal. Pants with 3 pockets to keep youre batteries dry and warm. Im planning on 4 colours, black for generall use, white for cricket, brown for motor sports and the ultimate CAMO range for wildlife. As you whip out a fresh warm fully charged battery, no-one will notice...brilliant ehh. There will, obviously be an appropriate 'opening' for those who need a quick rest break. The elastic to hold them up with the extra weight will be of the finest Chinese quality, whilst the rest of the garment will be 'non chaffing' Egyptian cotton. Ive yet to decide on sizing but I guess its going to be L, XL. XXL & XXXL. The planned 'LUX RANGE' may even have a cup holder...hey thats a long way off and still in the planning stage.
                Over and out - have a nice w/e
                Now where did I put that fully charged battery,,,is it this one, no, that one, Im not sure...
                Check Pants! Doh!

Comment

That looks good Stephen, but the country is awash with counterfiet goods, that we would have difficulty in telling from the real thing.

Living here in East Anglia, the Anglia News frequently shows the extent of counterfeit goods coming in via the Port of Felixstowe, and that's just the one's the Customs manage to intercept.

So, if a bought a battery labelled Canon, from an on-line source, at a 'knock-down' price, I think I might have my doubts.

The Duracell LP-E6 I would buy from Duracell Direct (£29.99), and if the Hahnel, then from a reputable photographic outlet.

I did once buy a 'third-party' battery (back in my 30D days) from a photographic shop while visiting Singapore, and compared to the Canon battery, it didn't last anywhere near the time in use.

So, my theory is, if I buy one of a known make, such as Duracell or Hahnel, while it might not be as good as the true Canon, it should be a lot better than the real 'no-name' cheapies.

I'll let you know in due course, if my theory was right or wrong.

Dave
                  Last edited by Dave_S; 05-04-2013, 18:59.
                  Dave

Comment

See Here Did you know that counterfeit accessories could melt and burn?.

Comment

I'm not surprised, hence my saying that a battery labelled Canon, sold at a 'knock down' price might be a counterfeit.

For me, it will have to be genuine Canon battery, bought from a reputable supplier, or a Duracell bought from Duracell Direct, or a Hahnel bought from the likes of WEX etc.

The Canon battery that I have, is that good, I may never need a spare, but just in case, a known brand alternative at around £30, is not a significant outlay, for something that may never get used.

Dave
                      Dave

Comment

I have Hahnel LP-E6 equivalents bought from WEX and they are superb. I bought this Twin Pack

You can of course also but them from the EOS Mag Shop HERE
                        Last edited by Pete; 05-04-2013, 19:57.
                        All the best
                        Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

I did have third-party batteries on my previous cameras, but I bought my 7D around May 2010 with 2 genuine LP-E6 canon batteries and they are still going strong today.

That'll put the kiss of death on them. :)

Graydon.
                          Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                          EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Hahnel LP-E6

Wex £29

Premier Ink & Digital £27.99

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                              Hahnel LP-E6

Wex £29

Premier Ink & Digital £27.99

Dave
                              So where you going to put all this 'Raw' power??
                              You need 'Camo-Pants'. the Ultimate Storage Solution'

Comment

Working...
                              X