X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannon 100D

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
    I can see myself out making with the 100D + 40 f2.8
    Should my 40D fail ... I'd be inclined to look more closely at the 100D. [The RX100 is taking over from the G10].

Comment

I've got one.

It's an impressive little camera - basically it shares it's internals with the EOS-M (same Digic 5 chip, same sensor, same battery, same touch sensitive screen), the main difference is that the 100D has a pentaprism mirror where the EOS-M doesn't.

I was worried it would be too fiddly in my big man-hands, and if you use the normal SLR methods of changing settings, it can be a bit trying. If you're happy enough using the touchscreen though, the camera really comes into its own - pressing the 'Q' button brings up all the normal things you'd want to change, and you just tap on what you're after (aperture, shutter speed, white balance etc) to change it. Even better, with the live view you can tap a point on the screen, the camera will focus on whatever you touched and take a photo - very easy stuff, great for macro shots.

IQ is everything you'd expect from the usual 18MP sensor we have seen in various cameras now - combined with the Digic 5 it produces damn good photos. Only down side really is the battery - it doesn't last that long (300-400 or so shots without flash). That said, another battery is only £40 or so, and doesn't take up much extra space either. On the plus side, it's brilliant as a travel camera, and even fits in my jacket pocket with a 50mm f/1.4 attached.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
        I can see myself out making with the 100D + 40 f2.8
        Me too with a Sigma 18-250mm for a "holidays" set-up or to replace my little compact camera (SX 210) - A nice little camera but having to wait a second or more for the shutter to fire is very frustrating.

Comment

I have one also, and if Canon is looking for a poster child for this camera, they could come see me. To paraphrase a U.S. cereal slogan, this camera is G-R-E-E-A-A-T-T!

Shooting SLR's since my Canon FT in 1967, I bought this camera for downsizing my carry load, when it became evident that Canon is still a couple years away from learning how to make a serious mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. First, my history with Canon DSLR: Digital Rebel/300D, Rebel XT/350D, 20D, 40D, 5DMk2, 7D. I'm familiar with Canon's consumer-grade DSLRs. This little camera, which I call the Baby Rebel, is the first I've had in a long time that made me say Wow! It has nearly all the features of the bigger cameras that matter to me. I would like it if it had the AF micro adjust like the 5D2 and 7D, but otherwise, I'm happy with it as is.

As best as I can tell, the only person who would not like this camera is the one that constantly shoots in "full-auto" mode, shooting off 10-15 frame bursts all the time. I don't do that. I prefer to get the right picture in one or two shots, as I have better ways to spend my time than sitting in front of a computer screen deleting 95% of my pictures and hoping I kept the right one!

My wife and I have all kinds of Canon lenses, big and small, short and long, black and white, so I won't go into that. I've just bought the new Tamron 16-300mm zoom. With the little Canon, this is a perfect "walking around", travel, all-purpose camera setup. This combo: SL1/100D plus the 16-300mm zoom lens weighs only 2oz more than the 7D body alone. Now that's what I call downsizing.

I'm sure Canon will eventually get the mirrorless thing right. They'll put an EVF on it with a couple million pixels and get AF working. They'll include the EF lens adapter as part of the package. Maybe, just maybe, they'll even do away with the mechanical shutter, and then they'll have the mirrorless I was hoping for. In the meantime, the SL1/100D is a terrific bargain at the price it sells for, so I'll be happy with this camera for as long as it takes Canon to master mirrorless.
          Bill
          "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

Hi Bill

I like the look of the SL1/100D myself. Looking to replace my ageing 40D & 350D - which currently have 17-40L & 70-200 f4L attached respectively.

Whilst I'm wavering as to what to replace the 40D with (70D - focus issues?? / Go FF with the 6D / see what the 7D MkII is like when it arrives), the 100D looks like a perfect replacement for the 350D as I do like the smaller size of the 350D at times & handled a 100D recently & found it fine despite it's diminuitive size.

Was thinking of perhaps pairing it with an 18-135 STM lens but the Tamron 16-300 sounds very interesting. I presume there's going to be some trade-off in IQ for such a massive range, but how do you find it for IQ?
            Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

I am very satisfied with the results I've had with it for the few weeks I've had the lens on the SL1, including even some shots with an old Tamron 1.4x extender (the basic, not Pro version, so it doesn't communicate with the camera to tell it it's there, therefore, light permitting it will try to autofocus), making it a 672mm FF equivalent field of view! Here is an example at 300mm+1.4x extender. This is a crop about 1/3 horizontal and 60% vertical. Camera/lens at 300mm F6.3 before the extender (420mm F9 with the extender) 1/350th ISO 400, hand held. Real aperture here was F9, yet the camera thought it was F5.6 and so with the good light I had, it did autofocus. This is good enough for me.

ScreechOwl.jpg

Here's a link to ephotozine review of the 16-300mm. They tested on a Nikon, but the tests should be valid for the Canon mount version.

Keep in mind my goal with the SL1/100D was to reduce the load I have to carry around. I already have a load of stuff to carry for my wife, so the less additional the better. It is the size and weight of this camera that appealed to me. If that doesn't matter, you can get a few more features on, say, a 70D--which is what I would look at if weight didn't matter to me.

The combination of this little camera and the 16-300 is a powerful photomaking tool for getting pictures without a big, conspicuous, and cumbersome load of camera and lenses. This is the first DSLR/lens combo I've had that I feel like I can take just about anywhere and still have the capability of wide and long shots. Honestly, this thing has virtually restarted my interest in photography, which had--thanks to all the gear and stuff I had to carry--become as much a burden as a hobby. I can now just grab the camera and not worry that I've left some essential piece of gear behind.

Another back to basics approach I've taken a couple times was to go out with just a 35mm F2 (the old Canon lens with the "buzzy" autofocus). With that lens it is about the size of a compact but with a high quality 56mm FF equivalent F2 lens. Having just a "normal" lens is a real back to basics photo experience.

Again, it was a minimalist objective that drove me to the SL1/100D, but this little camera does a lot, plus all mine and my wife's accumulated Canon gear (too many lenses, flashes, etc.) will work with it. So it's kind of the best of both worlds...at least until Canon learns how to make a mirrorless camera!
              Bill
              "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info - for 300mm + converter and cropped, that's pretty impressive! The ephotozine guys seem impressed too. Full time manual focus too. I guess the Canon 18-135 STM only really has the advantage for video work...
                Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post
                  Hi Bill,
                  Thanks for the info - for 300mm + converter and cropped, that's pretty impressive! The ephotozine guys seem impressed too. Full time manual focus too. I guess the Canon 18-135 STM only really has the advantage for video work...
                  I've only shot a couple videos with that lens--grandkids clowning , etc.--but I have noticed that the AF and stabilization are both very quiet compared with other lenses I have. I need to try shooting some quiet room test video with movie servo turned on and my external mic to see what it picks up. If I can do that soon, I'll post my findings.
                  Bill

Comment

A very nice large pic and I like it. A good advert also for the 100D plus lens combo.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks, Nathaniel. I think that Screech Owl, or more precisely Eastern Screech Owl, may have been injured. If you look, his left eye is more open than his right. If anything, it should have been the other way, since the light was coming from his left front. In any case, I was closer than he should have allowed. He's only about 7" tall. The Eastern Screech Owl is seen year-round in the eastern 2/3 of the United States and northeastern Mexico.

LesC2009, I did a quick video just shooting around my office, changing subject distance so I could specifically hit the focus button and note an associated noise. I had a TV on playing the news in the background at normal listening levels. My microphone is a 12 year old or so Azden ECZ-990 zoom mic set on the short range. I use it in a Beyerdynamic EA86 shock mount to isolate it from camera noise.

To answer your obvious question, Les, I did pick up focus noise--a faint tick, tick when the focus motor started and stopped, when it changed direction, and in one instance when it did some focus hunting. I shot at 100mm or so, and at no time could I detect noise from the stabilizer. So, unless you focus before shooting, the focus noise with the 16-300 may well intrude. I did a quick test with the built in mic, and it picked up the focus tick tick as well, although I would never use that for even halfway serious video. In fact, I don't think the built in mic is even stereo.

Hope this helps.
                      Bill

Comment

Hi Bob,

Do you find much difference IQ wise between the Canon 18-135 STM & the Tamron 16-300?
                        Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

Not meaning to intrude, Les, but were you asking me about the 18-135 vs the 16-300? I looked back through this thread and didn't see a Bob, so I thought maybe you meant Bill (that's me) If so, I have no info on the 18-135, as I do not own that lens. However, I see ephotozine has a review of that lens. You could compare their findings. http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ca...s-review-20981 with what they say about the 16-300, and that might help you to decide.
                          Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

Apologies, I did mean you I'd mistakenly thought you had both lenses but thanks for the link to the review. I must pay more more attention in future
                            Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post
                              Hi Bill,
                              Apologies, I did mean you I'd mistakenly thought you had both lenses but thanks for the link to the review. I must pay more more attention in future
                              No problem. Actually, between my wife and I...and actually just my wife, we have way more stuff than we should. So generally, it's probably a good guess that we do have something rather than not. And that's even after the end of April when we sold a couple of bodies, battery grips, and several lenses. We still have lenses that we "like" but never use. Canon 85mm F1.8, Canon 28-135, and now a Sigma 18-200 pushed aside by the Tamron 16-300. The 50mm F1.4 is rarely used but is our only true low light lens. The Canon 35mm F2 is our normal lens for the crop sensor cameras and back to basics shooting.

And I even have an oooold Kenko fisheye attachment (screws onto the filter threads of a 50mm) that is more or less permanently screwed onto a 50mm F1.8. I bought that fisheye, while in the Army on R&R from Vietnam, in Tokyo in 1968. It turns out, a movie company used this same lens as the "eye" of HAL the computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey. I use it about once or twice a year on the 5D2, when a 360 degree fisheye shot seems called for. It's not especially high quality, but a 360 fisheye picture is a novelty at best anyway. As I recall, I paid $30 for that Kenko fisheye. Quite a sum for someone on Army E-4 wages in 1968.

Good luck with your decision making. As to focus noise on video. I really don't like video autofocus, as the camera changes focus in a distracting kind of way. I really prefer to focus, then shoot. Of course, if a subject is moving in or out that can be a problem. In terms of utility, 16mm is noticeably wider than 18, and 300 is quite a bit longer than 135. The Tamron is more expensive than the Canon 18-135, but for me, there was no contest. I wanted the greatest zoom range I could get.

Have a good one.
                              Bill

Comment

Bill, I am thinking very strongly of getting a crop camera just for wildlife shots which will give me an extra 1.6 reach. How do you find the 100D with your 16-300mm lens for travel purposes- weight,balanace etc or would say a 700D be more suitable with the same lens?
                                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                                X