Photo Backpacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Backpacks

Does anyone know of a camera backpack that is big enough to take a big telephoto lens, plus camera accessories, a 40d, and the bits and pieces that we all need AND will pass the test for hand held luggage on a long haul flight?

Going on such a fllight in the not too distant future and would be grateful for any pointers.

thanks

Re: Photo Backpacks

Lowepro Mini-Trekker AW carries my 40D, 100-400, 24-105, 10-20, G-9 (for the boss), Tripod head, filters, lens-caps, and all required accessories with ease...

It's very comfortable, and I've never had a problem on any long-haul flight with it. The only thing I check-in is my Tripod and/or MonoPod. They go in my main case...

Had it for a few years now - highly recommended...

Click on link above...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks for that - will check it out. Much better to get a recommendation than to guess on inet sites.

Comment

when you say big telephoto lens, what lens are we talking?

I have a tamrac expedition 4, which comfortably takes my 1D mark III and 70-200mm f2.8 lens, but they won't go in apart. I can four lenses (24-105, 17-40, 50mm, 100mm macro), a teleconverter 2x, 70-200 coupled with my 1d in the bag no problem.

Cost me £60 if i remember correctly.

Comment

I have the Lowepro Nature Trekker AW. Some airlines have allowed this as handluggage others have insisted it be checked in. I would therefore suggest you contact the carrier you will be travelling with. A photo bag/backpack may be slightly out of line with a carrier's criteria, but due to value will permit them to be taken as handluggage.

BA; only once did they insist it went in the hold
          BMI handluggage
          Lufthansa; hold, everytime

Tripod(s) are always placed in the hold with the suitcase.

regards

Nigel

PS Nature Trekker will take a 400 F2.8 attached to camera and still leave room for other lenses and flash etc.

Comment

I've got a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW and LOVE it. When I was looking round I thought "Why invent a backpack which you access from the back?" but from a pure security point of view it gives me piece of mind that when I'm in a confined space such as on public transport I don't need to worry about probing hands running off with my kit (had a VERY close shave on a tram in Lisbon with a pro getting inside my zipped up jacket pocket and almost making off with my wallet - never felt a thing. It was only because my pockets were so deep he never managed it).

I can also keep the waist strap fastened, slip the pack off my shoulders, rotate it and tilt it and get in and out of the pack without having to put it on the floor. Takes a 5D Mark II with/ without a 70-200 attached plus a bunch of other stuff. It also has a couple of straps on top that allow you to drape your jacket across the top of the pack to save you carrying it (THE feature my wife loved the look of when we were looking at it "ah it has straps to carry my jacket" ;-) )
            Cliff Hobbs
            Wannabe Architectural Photographer - Always willing to listen and learn

Comment

Hi Michael,

Have a look here - loads of reasonably priced back packs. This Lowepro bag is seen quite a lot. I use the 300 which is slightly small, but okay if you don't want to carry to much stuff.

Wex Photo Video is the primary destination for enthusiast and professional photographers and filmmakers. Click, call or visit for the UK's widest range of photo and video gear.

TTFN,
              Neil
              Neilly's Flickr Page
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
              Facebook
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

I've got a brand new still in the sellophane Lowepro Compudaypack in Leaf Green that I was given as a present but couldn't use if anyone is looking to give one a home and I won't charge you full price for it - PM me if interested.
                Cliff Hobbs
                Wannabe Architectural Photographer - Always willing to listen and learn

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided on the Lowepro Flipside. I bought the 200 as I only want to carry the body and lenses - the rest can go in the hold back. It holds my 40d body, sigma 150-500mm, Canon 200mm L, 24-105, and extender 1.4 without any problem. The only downside is that there is no room for the extra gadget bag when the big sigma is in it. It also states that it is Hand Baggage compliant.

Comment

Working...
                  X