I don't do portraits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't do portraits.

I don't do portraits, but when Mrs C wanted a new passport photo, who am I to refuse!

Colin

Re: I don't do portraits.

Oh... Wow. Lovely looking woman. You should do more shots of her.
    Can't understand why you've got 3 of the same shot on your photobucket page. Would love to have seen a couple of other shots with maybe different facial expressions, lips closed etc.

You "don't do portraits." No reason why you shouldn't. As a portrait, it does it for me.
    Last edited by NickM; 22-05-2013, 00:56.
    I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Looks like you do them now Very nice Portrait

Tom

Comment

Well done Colin, show some light on your light setting if you wish. Is it just flash or studio lights and how many at which position? Raj
        Raj
        Flickr

Comment

Colin's a jack of all trades, can't fault that image
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Is it just flash or studio lights and how many at which position?
            Studio flash, but easily replicated with speedlights.

• Softbox to the left 45deg at head level.
            • Brolly to the right 45deg and slightly high.
            • Snoot to the rear 45deg and very high to light the hair.
            • Backdrop not lit to retain the black.

Hope that helps Raj.
            Colin

Comment

Excellent portrait Colin, but somehow I don't think the passport office will see it that way! https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports
              Russell
              Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Nice one Colin
                EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Not bad at all young man :)
                  Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                  Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

One of your best Bird shots .

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

These are for NickM ................ who wanted more!

Taken on a 1Dx with a 70 - 200mm. 200mm for the tight crops and 70mm for the full body.

1/125sec, f11, ISO 200. Custom white balance of 5200K.
                      Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin. Beautiful.
                        She's very photogenic, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with your portrait skills. Would certainly love to see you doing more portraits, as it's another string to your bow.
                        I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

As an aside, just curious about your settings and how they relate to DoF. You used f11 for the body shot but how far away from her were you when you took the shot?
                          I'm just trying to relate it to my own photography, where I'm getting unwanted DoF at much below f22, on all my lenses - 18-55, 28-80 and also the 75-300.
                          In particular I'm curious how you've managed to get her right hand in focus as well as her face when there's probably a distance difference of 1-2ft.

Comment

Mrs C certainly is very flexible (in her modelling skills I mean)

Thanks for the details you give of the lighting setup. It's most helpful. I was also interested to see that you used only a 70-200 lens. One I actually have in my kit!
                            Originally posted by NickM View Post
                            In particular I'm curious how you've managed to get her right hand in focus as well as her face when there's probably a distance difference of 1-2ft.
                            Is there really that much of a distance difference? I would have thought that particular pose would have the face and hand almost in line with each other. I may well be wrong of course!

Lovely work, thanks for sharing them,

Garry
                            Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                            Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                              Studio flash, but easily replicated with speedlights.

• Softbox to the left 45deg at head level.
                              • Brolly to the right 45deg and slightly high.
                              • Snoot to the rear 45deg and very high to light the hair.
                              • Backdrop not lit to retain the black.

Hope that helps Raj.
                              Thank you very much Colin, very helpful as always. Raj
                              Raj
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X