Home studio practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home studio practice

I have been having a go at some 'studio' shots. In actual fact it's my dining room with a white sheet and a couple of cheap continuous lights. I only have one flash, but wanted to try out and see what I could do. I must admit I am quite pleased with some of the results and am learning a lot about ambient light, direction, shadow fall etc. This is are my sister who was willing to let me have a go at shooting her. The baby is my new granddaughter Isla, and the last one is my son who wanted something mysterious :) They were taken with 5Dmk11, manual, various settings. I will keep practising. I have tried taking pictures of my older grandchildren, some are ok, but they fidget a lot and sometimes fingers and toes are blurred so I need to get my head around that for next time.
    I welcome comment and critique.

Sandra
    p.s. they look a little soft on here but pin sharp on my pc

IMG_24351 by Mazz2011, on Flickr

IMG_29741 by Mazz2011, on Flickr

IMG_34101 by Mazz2011, on Flickr

IMG_686411 by Mazz2011, on Flickr
    Last edited by Mazzie; 03-07-2013, 08:52. Reason: spelling / changed to upload from Flickr
    “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
    http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Re: Home studio practice

For a basic set up and "practice" they are very good, as you say they look a bit soft but that is probably due to uploading from your pc rather than from an external host such as flickr

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

What Stan said. and # 2 and 3 are pretty nice well done - it is a fun learning process, wish I had more time to do it!

Ian
      EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

ahh thanks for looking Stan. I'll have a go at putting them on from Flickr

Comment

I'll have a go at putting them on from Flickr
          flickr is definately much better - on the few occasions I have been forced to upload direct (503's etc), they always lose some detail so I try and avoid wherever possible

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Sandra for practice shots you have done very well and I like them.

I am not a portrait expert but here are my thoughts, in #2 and #3 to me the lighting looks a little flat, I think I would have tried to introduce some subtle shadows by moving one of the lights either closer or further away.

I like the idea in the moody last shot but think it would look even better if you could prevent the light falling quite so strongly on his nose, I would be tempted to have the whole face a similar tone, I would also ask him to stand slightly further away from the bakdrop as it looks as if there is a shadow cast on the backdrop bottom left.

Please feel free to ignore my comments, but do keep practicing as you are getting some lovely shots.

Comment

Thanks for looking Celtex.
              Thanks for the comments Muscat, yes I see what you mean about the lighting on 2 & 3 now you've pointed it out. A little more shadow would give better contour to the face. #4 Yes his nose does seem a little predominant! I put a Weetabix box round the light on that one to try and focus the light. It's useful to hear others views so that I can use the comments next time I have a go. Thanks for looking.

Comment

Something I've not even attempted yet so won't offer any advice will just say
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

I do like #4..has a brooding malevenounce about it,,scarry

Comment

Sandra,

You did very well for your practice shots, but that 4th image is marvelous. Reminds me of the Jetti that has gone to the darkside of the force.
                    ++ on that image.

Tom

Comment

NO 4 for me.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated. Will keep practising!

Comment

Working...
                        X