Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please

I have a Canon EOS 60D camera and a Canon 550EX Speedlite and am wondering if a Yongnuo YN-622C will work with this Camera/Speedlite combination? I cannot find any reference to the 550EX anywhere. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Help Please

Will my flash/camera be compatible?

These Canon EOS cameras have Flash Control menus on which the Yongnuo YN622C relies:

1D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Ds Mark III
    5D Mark II, 5D Mark III
    7D
    40D, 50D, 60D
    450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 650D
    1000D, 1100D
    The following flashes will “support wireless remote control through camera menu”:

Canon 600EX, 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II
    YongNuo YN-565EX, YN468, YN468 II, YN467, YN467 II, YN465
    If you use the Canon Speedlite 430EX or 580EX (not mark II) or an older camera without the Flash Control menu then you will have to make settings by hand. Older cameras that don’t have the same Flash Control menu include the original 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 300D, 350D, 1D and 1D Mark II.

Tom

Comment

Many thanks for that Tom but I still don't see any mention of my Canon Speedlite 550EX.

It is definitely a Canon Flash but I don't want to buy the Yongnuo YN622C if it might harm my flash.

My camera does feature in your list but not the flash - does that mean it will work but I'll have to make some manual settings?

I'm mystified why no one ever seems to mention the Speedlite 550EX as if it has been totally forgotten?????

John
      Last edited by Texas; 17-07-2013, 14:10. Reason: Spelling !

Comment

John,

I don't think the 550EX will be compatible. The 622's listed compatible 'guns are all E-TTL II flash, and the older 550 is "only" E-TTL.

The 622 shouldn't damage your flash, as it's trigger voltage is compatible with all recent cameras/'guns, but it is unlikely to offer anything beyond manual triggering, which is available for a much reduced outlay with the plethora of manual triggers available.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Steve
          It just seems a shame that my poor little 550EX seems to have disappeared off the radar as it never seems to get a mention and yet it is an EX flash.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by Texas View Post
            Many thanks for that Tom but I still don't see any mention of my Canon Speedlite 550EX.

It is definitely a Canon Flash but I don't want to buy the Yongnuo YN622C if it might harm my flash.

My camera does feature in your list but not the flash - does that mean it will work but I'll have to make some manual settings?

I'm mystified why no one ever seems to mention the Speedlite 550EX as if it has been totally gorgotten?????

John
            It indeed may be forgotten as it is 15 years old. which does not mean it is no good! Canon gear is very good and will last a very long time (in my experience)

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
              It indeed may be forgotten as it is 15 years old. which does not mean it is no good! Canon gear is very good and will last a very long time (in my experience)
              Thanks Collywobbles

Comment

The one issue with a flash that is 15 years old is the voltage on the shoe of the flash is greater then the newer flashes. So the 550EX maybe a good off camera flash for manual settings, I would be careful in using this flash on your camera as it may cause some internal problems with the electronics of the 60D.

Tom

Comment

The 550 should be fine.

There's a decent resource here with historic flash trigger voltages
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                    The one issue with a flash that is 15 years old is the voltage on the shoe of the flash is greater then the newer flashes. So the 550EX maybe a good off camera flash for manual settings, I would be careful in using this flash on your camera as it may cause some internal problems with the electronics of the 60D.
                    Many thanks Tom
                    On the strength of your advice I'll not be putting it on my camera but only using it as an off camera flash.
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                      All EX-series Speedlites have trigger voltages of 6 volts or less and are safe to use on the hot-shoes of all EOS digital cameras (and EOS film cameras).

Some old third-party flash guns have higher trigger voltages and might not be suitable for use on EOS cameras.
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Ah! thank you for that Robert, most grateful.
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X