Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iceland - Help Needed!!!

Hi All

I'm heading to Iceland for a couple of weeks May/June time and will be driving round the ring road so we will cover most of the island.

I'd really appreciate any tips/advice about photographing the well known spots but also if you know of any hidden gems that are less well know but still worth seeing/photographing please...please let me know.

Thanks.

Gordon

Re: Iceland - Help Needed!!!

I'm sorry to say, Gordie, that I have never been to Iceland. I know you're looking for suggestions, but since it appears no one here has been to Iceland either, I'll clutter your thread with my jealousy.

It seems like such a fantastic place to visit: my visions of Iceland have always been a combination of a lush environment against a brisk mountainous background. It's always seemed to me like a pristine, fairly untouched country. Besides seeing photographs in books and all, I remember seeing the scenes in the movie, "The Girl in the Cafe'" where the characters go to Iceland for a G7 summit. Such wonderful landscape shots.

Please post some of your photographs here when you get back so that we can all be jealous. And since we don't seem to have any suggestions for you about where to go in Iceland, please answer your own question when you get back so that I at least will know where to go when I eventually get there.

Thanks,
    Russell

Comment

Check out this album - Bragi was Digital Photographer of the Year overall winner for 2009. He lives in Iceland - you are sure to find plenty inspiration here!

Peter

Comment

If you are driving the ring road you have to go to Husavik on the north east, and go on a whale watching cruise ! I did 3 when i was there lol I am obsessed though.

Im not a big landscape photographer, was there for the wildlife more than anything. You wont be short of opportunities though, every corner you drive round, you are looking for places to park up and admire the scenery, its a stunning place to be ! And they have an active volcano in the South at the mo, so may pay to check that just before leaving.

Comment

The Volcano is now causing mayhem! Yes, Whale watching is great. What's the best time to visit so that one can see the whales?
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I see they have also cut the coastal road too
            ef-r

Comment

Looking for the silver lining, when lots of dust, ash, or sand is in the atmosphere, you can get some spectacular sunsets. I had this in Egypt after a big sandstorm and Thailand after a big forest fire. Bright red suns and little of the normal metering difficulties.

Doesn't do much to help those who are unable to fly at the moment though!

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Working...
              X