Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual setting

Hi All
    I am new to this forum and new to using flash. I would like to ask you all about manual settings.
    I have just purchased a used 580exii and am trying to get my head around it. In the manual mode if it's on full power, 1/2, 1/4 or even less the shot looks the same and the histogram is identical on all. If I use the exposure comp on the camera then the shot will change as dose the histogram as you would expect. I really would love to learn manual but I must be doing something wrong. I am sorry if this as already come up on here if so can I get a link.

Re: Manual setting

If you want to learn how to control your flash in manual then this is a great place to start:

Linky thing

Comment

That's quite comprehensive; thanks for that.

Comment

Also look at http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index.html which is quite excellent and will explain away all the odd stuff that happens with Canon flash.

Plus I'd strongly recommend Syl Arena's book "Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites" which is about 15 quid from Amazon and worth every penny. I thought I was pretty good with Canon flash (which, as I alluded to, is a bit odd in a number of ways), but did learn some stuff from the book.

Comment

I've looked at Syl Arenas Youtube channel. It's really good, and very easy to follow. Not bought the book yet, but it is on the list!!
          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I will look at the links. Plus I have just sent for that book £18 eBay. Thanks for replies.

Comment

Hi Jake and welcome!

Canon's flash implementation means that in Manual mode on the camera, the flash still works in auto. This gives you the ability to manually set your desired aperture and shutter speed, and then the flash will "fill-in" any deficit in exposure. To get true manual flash, you have to set the flash to manual too (either in the cameras flash control menu or on the flash itself).

The book you've bought really is the bible for Canon flash, and it'll give you a sound understanding of all things Speedlite :)
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
              X