Canon 100mm USM Macro v 100mm L IS Macro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 100mm USM Macro v 100mm L IS Macro

I received a Canon 100mm L IS lens 2 weeks ago as a late Christmas present so took the opportunity to compare my existing Canon 100mm std USM lens prior to selling.

All are taken on a tripod / RAW neutral in AV mode (50D)

100mm L IS lens @ F2.8

100mm std USM @ F2.8

100% Crop samples

100mm L IS

100mm std USM

100mm L IS

100mm std USM

The IS works well in non macro shots but seems limited for macros as it's very difficult not to sway back and forth handheld and even a tiny amount puts the image out of focus much the same as back or front focusing issues.

CA effects are virtually identical

I found I have to get 1.5cm closer for 1:1 shot with the L therefore as all shots were on a tripod the L images show slightly less magnification.

Lol the images were all there last night, put them on my ftp this time so it shouldn't happen again :)
    Last edited by JohnMaij; 31-01-2010, 12:54.

Re: Canon 100mm USM Macro v 100mm L IS Macro

Hi John, I guess your post should contain images, trouble is they don't appear to be showing!

Nigel
    My Flickr photostream

Comment

They are on now, but weren't when I first looked.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

I understand the perceived wisdom to be that IS should be turned OFF when shooting static objects using a tripod!

There's also a Tv differential between the 2 images which may also affect a fair comparison; Image 1 was shot at 1/50, image 2 at 1/30, so the IS lens called for a faster shutter-speed!
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

The shutter speed difference would seem to be due to the to the glass letting in more light. Even though the L shots were using a faster shutter speed the images also seem brighter too. All shots were using AV mode at F2.8. The same effect has been noted by users with full frame cameras also.

The shutter speed difference is constant and shows up whether in macro through too landscapes.

Comment

Hi John,
            Thanks for taking the trouble to post these, it was interesting.
            Millie

Comment

Hi John

I'm just about to buy the 100 2,8L Macro, and these images are indeed interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
              Espen

Comment

I am looking at the 100mm 2.8 macro USM and have been wondering about the IS model or non IS model .
                I wa going for the IS model even though it is about £ 200 ish more than non IS.
                What is the lens like for none macro photography.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Hi F.S.P.

I have the non-IS (old!) lens, and it's great for 'regular' photography. Unlike many Macro lenses, it will focus to infinity, so can be used without restriction. It's fast & pin-sharp and makes an excellent portrait lens... Longish on a xxD body, (effective 160mm FoV) but as long as you can stand back a bit; it's great!

HTH

Cheers...
                  I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                  Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

When shooting macro I find putting the AF on Servo helps enormously
                    ef-r

Comment

I have the 100mm L IS macro lens and do find that for handheld macro work the IS works well and it is also good when using the lens as a standard 100mm prime i.e. not in macro mode

Comment

With what i have here`d about the 100mm 2.8 IS Macro it will be in my Lowepro in the nxt few days. It will be ideal for my 176th model photography i will be doing.

Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Comment

I am sure you will have fun with it, it is a fabulous lens

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                            I am sure you will have fun with it, it is a fabulous lens
                            I am looking forward to playing with it , roll on the 25-12-2010

Comment

Working...
                            X