Speckgrabber Pro sensor cleaning tool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speckgrabber Pro sensor cleaning tool.

Sensor cleaning is one of those mundane tasks that most of us have to undertake periodically. While I find the inbuilt sensor cleaning in current Canon models does a reasonable job of keeping the sensor clean, round the sensor edges (particularly the corners) seem to be a magnet for dust.

Over the years I seem to have tried most methods for sensor cleaning, from pecpads/eclipse to sensor brushes with varying degrees of success .

A while ago I purchased (from the EOS shop) 'Speckgrabber Pro' , a tool for removing sensor dust spots.

I finally got round to giving it a tryout, as I noticed the sensor on my 1Ds MKIII was starting to show numerous dust specs when shooting at f11-f22.

From the image below, the left hand side shows a corner crop of a 100% image at F40 (200 mm +1.4 TC) ISO 800, before any sensor cleaning.

The middle image (same settings) shows the sensor after 20 minutes of carefully using the Specgrabber tool.

And the right image shows the sensor after a further 15 minutes with the tool plus 5 run throughs of the camera's inbuilt sensor clean.

Larger image:- http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/1Ds_clean/1DSL3422.jpg

As you can see, the Specgrabber Tool does a pretty good job of cleaning the sensor, not perfect, but close. It does not appear to leave any 'smudge' marks, that some other methods are prone to do.

It is also re-usable, needing to clean the tip in cold water , allowing to dry before re-use.

On the downside, it's a labour intensive task, as the Specgrabber tip is so small, it takes some time to cover the sensor.

For me, it's been a good buy, reasonably cheap (£6.95), and basically does what it says on the tin.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Speckgrabber Pro sensor cleaning tool.

Looks good Les, did you use any magnification to actually see the dust and dirt?

Papa.

Comment

Originally posted by Papathanassi View Post
      Looks good Les, did you use any magnification to actually see the dust and dirt?

Papa.
      Yes, I had a look though a magnifying glass, but there was that much dust (and most very small), I ended up going over all the sensor, concentrating on the corners.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Looks like a good option, thanks for the info.
        Andy

Comment

A great advert for the product... did you need to clean the Speckgrabber while you were doing this, or was it all done in the one (2-part) operation without re-cleaning the head?

Cheers;

Lee
          Cheers;
          Lee
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
          All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
          5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
          17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_User View Post
            A great advert for the product... did you need to clean the Speckgrabber while you were doing this, or was it all done in the one (2-part) operation without re-cleaning the head?

Cheers;

Lee
            I probably should have re-cleaned the head between sweeps, but I did both sweeps without cleaning the Specgrabber (too impatient I suppose)

Comment

Working...
            X