19 worst mistakes a photographer can make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19 worst mistakes a photographer can make

Spotted on another forum. Can you think of any other examples to add to the list?

There’s a lot of talk on forums, in online and offline communities about mistakes, dos and don’ts...
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Re: 19 worst mistakes a photographer can make

20:- Not following McLean's rule of turds, if it's crap, it's crap-delete it.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

21. Forgetting to change the ISO from the last time you used the camera (which happened to be bright n sunny).
      Nearly every day I end up taking a dozen shots at ISO 200, which I only discover the mistake if I happen to view the (totally effing useless) screen on the camera instead of using the viewfinder.
      Else it's usually an entire day's worth of underexposed shots......

Memo to Canon - the 1100D screen is about as useful as a chocolate teapot when the big bright round thing's above the horizon.
      Last edited by NickM; 17-09-2013, 23:26.
      I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
        Nice one Les, using it would/will certainly free up some hard drive space for me
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

22: Expecting there to be enough charge in mtheir batteries as they did not drain them completely last time.
          Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

23. Forgetting to put SD card back in after downloading images. That's why I tend to leave door open till I put the card back!
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

24. Leaving the tripod attachment in the house after you've taken it off the camera and left it on the bedside table. You then rush out, take the tripod out of the boot and then *FACEPALM* drive all the way back home again.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                  23. Forgetting to put SD card back in after downloading images. That's why I tend to leave door open till I put the card back!
                  Yep done that on a day out, got there and no SD card in the camera because it's still in the slot in my laptop back home! Too far to go back so had to find the nearest PC World.
                  Last edited by Riggers; 18-09-2013, 16:30.
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                    24. Leaving the tripod attachment in the house after you've taken it off the camera and left it on the bedside table. You then rush out, take the tripod out of the boot and then *FACEPALM* drive all the way back home again.
                    Done that one too switching head between monopod and tripod lol. Went off on holiday to Cornwall with Tripod in boot, found a nice spot ready to get set up, assembled tripod... no head and 600 miles from home d'oh! Finding a decent camera shop in Cornwall was not easy either.
                    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

I rather like the rule of Turds.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Just checked out that link and I must say there were some mistakes that I was doing very frequently. Such as imitating and free service. As I am rookie here guys so that link was quite much helpful to me. Thank you for sharing an also adding your personal views here.

Certificate 4 in Training & Assessment
                        Last edited by narvy; 19-11-2013, 13:45.

Comment

Mine of last weekend.

Climbing a lot of steps to reach the top of a medieval tower and then not fitting the lens hood securely.

I never found the bits.
                          Last edited by Opifex; 19-09-2013, 05:58.

Comment

If I was to apply the rule of turds to my images, about 200Gb would be saved from my hard drive lol
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                              Yep done that on a day out, got there and no SD card in the camera because it's still in the slot in my laptop back home! Too far to go back so had to find the nearest PC World.
                              Then find that you can't get the bl**dy thing open as the packaging has been welded together!!!
                              This happened to me a good few years when I first got my 5D2. Off I went with a new charged up battery, came out of Jessops with a shiny new camera, slipped in said battery only to find that I couldn't get the CF Card packaging opened

Mike
                              www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X