Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOISE REDUCTION IN PHOTOSHOP

This is a tip which was posted by Papa.
    I thought it would be good to kick off this new thread.
    I hope you don't mind Papa,let me know if I have got anything wrong.

NOISE REDUCTION PHOTOSHOP

Prepare your image to its full potential, leaving sharpening to the very last.
    Resize ready for web display.
    1...On the very top of your Photoshop page select LAYER then flatten image.
    2...On the very top again select IMAGE mode,8bits?channel.
    3...On the very top again select Layer, duplicate layer. It will save as Background Copy.
    On the LAYERS PALLET on the right hand side you will now see 2 small images labelled Background and Background Copy. The Background Copy will be highlighted.
    4...On the top go to FILTER,blurr,surface blur.
    A new box for the Blur will come up ,make the radius 100 and the Threshold 5.
    Look at the panel showing your 2 layers on the right hand side, above these you will see OPACITY click the drop down box and use the slider whilst looking at the main image and adjust to suit your particular shot.
    You will notice that only the out of focus areas of the image will be affected as this is where the noise is.The subject which is in focus will have very little or no noise.
    In the LAYERS PALLET To the left of your background copy you will see an eyeball, click this on and off whilst looking at the main image and you will be able to see if your main subject is affected by the blurr.
    If it is affected you can paint over this to rub out the blurr affecting your main subject.
    5...If you look at the Layers pallet on the right, at the very bottom, click the 3rd icon from the left.
    A square with a dot in the middle.
    This will bring up a white box next to the picture on your Background copy.
    Next look at the vertical tool bar on the left and 3rd from the bottom you will see 2 squares which should be black and white.
    Put the black square on top, select a paint brush and at the right hand side click on the white square which is showing in your background copy.
    Go over the areas on your main image with the brush that you don't want the blur to affect.
    The area you paint will show up on the white square on your background copy layer at the right hand side as black.
    6...At the very top go to Layer, flatten image....JOB DONE

FINALLY SAVE YOUR IMAGE

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Campbell; 26-09-2013, 14:12.
    Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Re: NOISE REDUCTION IN PHOTOSHOP

You have some patience to go to all that trouble Alan? I found it by playing around in Photoshop, yesterday I did a search "Photoshop Surface Blur" it seems that it was designed for softening skin on photo subjects. We can always learn.

Papa.

Comment

If you have a raw image you're better off doing the noise reduction in ACR, IMHO...
      If not I'd suggest Neat Image :-)

Comment

If you have a raw image you're better off doing the noise reduction in ACR
        I prefer to use neat image as with the version of PS I have HR in ACR applies it to the whole image and most of the time i want to restrict it to the background only via a layer mask.

As I said in the original thread Papas idea is an excellent alternative for me when as sometimes happens,neat image cant find a decent area to use for the nr

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

You can always use another image shot at the same ISO for Neat image, ideally from the same shoot.

Comment

You can also duplicate the layer, then on the top layer do a little Gaussian blur, then mask over the bird revealing the underlying layer with the bird in focus.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

This nicely explains the difference between each blur.
              Raj
              Raj
              Flickr

Comment

Thats a handy littlle link Raj ..cheers.
                [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

You can always use another image shot at the same ISO for Neat image, ideally from the same shoot.
                  thats an idea

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Right then this neat image program.I have just downloaded it,and installed it ..so how do I use it ... any advise please..cheers.
                    [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

OOPS panic over .. I've found it under the filter tab ...

Comment

I apply Noise reduction in camera- Canon 6D and it is good as far as it goes. Also saves a lot of messing around.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          I apply Noise reduction in camera- Canon 6D and it is good as far as it goes. Also saves a lot of messing around.
                          That only works with JPEG not RAW so is not a great option for anyone wanting to do a decent job of post processing.
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Originally posted by Papathanassi View Post
                            You have some patience to go to all that trouble Alan? I found it by playing around in Photoshop, yesterday I did a search "Photoshop Surface Blur" it seems that it was designed for softening skin on photo subjects. We can always learn.

Papa.
                            Of course if your going to use the same steps each time, record steps and assign a keystroke (Alt-S for example).

Each time you want to use you just press the keystroke you've assigned.
                            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

i use imageonic (noise ware) as a ps6 or elements plug in .its very simple just use your magic wand to outline the subject the select inverse to layer it .open and apply noise reduction then select inverse again and then layer via copy ,resize image apply sharpening as required job done quicker to do than to type this .

Comment

Working...
                              X