Mini Guide to using the Canon RC-6 Remote when Shooting Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Guide to using the Canon RC-6 Remote when Shooting Movies

I finally bought one of these for shooting Movies and find it a handy little tool, it cost under a Tenner on the Internet. Since I couldn't find very much info on these with respect to Movies, I thought I'd share what I have learned after using it as it might be useful to others.

The Canon RC-6 IR Remote Control is allegedly the only Remote Control which will work on most of the latest EOS Cameras when shooting Movies. It is quite small and weighs only 500g, comes with its own carrying Pouch which can be fitted to a Camera Strap, or a lanyard can be attached to the hole in the corner of the RC-6 unit. It will work up to 5M from the Camera, as long as the Camera IR Sensor/Receiver is in line of sight to the Remote.

Recording movies
    You can use the RC-6 to start and stop
    movie recording on the EOS 60D & 7D ( & most other EOS Cameras except 50D)
    As with single image shooting , make sure the drive mode is set to one of the Self Timer / Remote Shooting options – it doesn’t matter which one you choose.
    Set the switch on the RC-6 to ‘2’. When you press the RC-6 button the Movie recording will start immediately, even although you are on the Self Timer setting. Pressing the button again will stop the recording.
    If during recording you would like a still image, change the switch from 2 to o, press the button and a still image will be captured, the Movie will continue to record afterwards.
    When shooting several Movie Clips remotely and If Auto Power is set at any of the presets (1min to 30mins etc) you will have to return to the Camera to activate the power in order to restart shooting, to stop this happening, Switch Auto Power to Off, you will then be able to Stop / Start as many Movies as your Battery will allow.

Shooting Stills
    Set the drive mode to one of the Self Timer / Remote Shooting options – it doesn’t matter which one you choose, set the RC-6 Switch to o, press the button on the remote, the still image will record instantly. If you want to use the Remote with the Self Timer for a still image, select the timer setting, change the RC-6 Switch to 2, then press the remote button and countdown will begin, useful when you want to include yourself in a group picture and gives you time to hide the Remote behind your back.

Doug.
    Cameras... 7D, 350D
    Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
    Montana 5 Car-tography

Re: Mini Guide to using the Canon RC-6 Remote when Shooting Movies

Thank you, that's useful to know. Might buy one myself now.
    EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Comment

Thank you, never thought you can use it for movies as well. Raj
      Raj
      Flickr

Comment

Thanks for that. I have a clone of the RC-6 that I've only ever used for stills and it's been fine for that. I hadn't considered it for video but will give it a try.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Working...
        X